Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Free-kicks - UTW

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
A quickie for those whose memories are sharper than mine -

Under-the-wall free kicks. A seemingly modern-ish phenomena, but didn't we score one or more of those in the Championship, or maybe even before, under Gus? I'm pretty sure we did but only have a weird maybe-made up memory of it, one which I've bundled together with our absolutely tremendous defence of an indirect one (v Burnley maybe?), where as soon as the ball was touched, everyone legged it upfield leaving all the attackers offside.

Anyway. Under the wall free kicks. I know we didn't 'invent' them, but....well, actually, did we....?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
LuaLua scored one at Leeds. The wall jumped and he smacked it into the net from just outside the area.
I think it was 2010/11 promotion season.

The 10 man Burnley offside was at the Amex. I think it was the following season.

One of my favourites was putting Adam El-Abd into the opposition wall, where he leaned into the wall, so, they all fell over.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-15 at 16.51.27.jpeg

probably been on here before if so another excuse to pop this jape

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
LuaLua scored one at Leeds. The wall jumped and he smacked it into the net from just outside the area.
I think it was 2010/11 promotion season.

The 10 man Burnley offside was at the Amex. I think it was the following season.

One of my favourites was putting Adam El-Abd into the opposition wall, where he leaned into the wall, so, they all fell over.

This. I've never seen one man shove a whole wall over like that before. One of my all time memories of our Amex Championship days. And Adam was brilliant at winding up the opposition. Genius and legend..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here