Frankie Boyle

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewart96

Banned
Jul 28, 2010
I watched his most recent show, I must have laughed about once the whole way through.

He was funny on mock the week, I must admit, but AIDS and cancer isn't really something to laugh at, is it?

Medina

Jan 16, 2006
I am not easily offended. But I personally found his cancer jokes apalling. And Jordan is fair game, but her disabled son is not. As someone said on twitter; comedians should punch up, not down.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I don't think Frankie Boyle is in any way racist, and the "jokes" he made in this case were clearly anti-racist, but unfortunately not funny to me. I am however. shocked by some gags directed at disabled adults and children. I do not find Frankie Boyle funny, even when he selects targets that I regard as deserving, I've only seen him twice on TV though and I don't intend to watch him again, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I have a fairly high tolerance to shock humour and I've watched all of this series and have found some of the humour distasteful - especially the stuff around AIDS/Cancer which I just found to be needlessly misanthropic but I have the choice to turn off. I think this raises some intersting points though

1. Even within the context of this joke, these words are racially offensive - the joke would have still got its point across using black people or asians as the word in question. Boyle has done this in full knowledge that it would create a stir - no publicity is bad publicity. You can't say that's just how he is because I'm fairly certain Jim Davison's act was toned down for TV - at least I don't remember too many racist jokes in the generation game.

2. Correct me if I'm wrong but Frankie Boyle has a column in The Sun - absolutely direct competition for the Mirror & The Mail. I'm sure that has nothing to do with their outrage.

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
He uses shock comedy to make fun of anyone and anything. some of his slagging Scots and Scotland is comic gold. Nothing is sacred as nothing should be. Genius.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The thing about Frankie Boyle is that his 'comedy' is meant to shock, it's no big secret. I don't find him in the least bit funny but rather than complaining I just don't watch him. At the end of the day is he any better or worse than the likes of Bernard Manning, Jim Davidson or Chubby Brown ?

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Something is either funny or it isn't. It either instinctively makes you laugh or not. The question is whether Boyle is funny or not. Occasionally yes, but there are plenty more a lot funnier out there. He might be the funniest on Mock the Week but let's be honest, the competition is pretty abysmal.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Something is either funny or it isn't. It either instinctively makes you laugh or not. The question is whether Boyle is funny or not. Occasionally yes, but there are plenty more a lot funnier out there. He might be the funniest on Mock the Week but let's be honest, the competition is pretty abysmal.

The thing is though people don't laugh at the same things do they ? You look at the thread about 'Come Fly with Me' and you'll see a wide variance of opinion. The thing about Boyle is that he does make some people laugh, it's matter of personal taste.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
The thing is though people don't laugh at the same things do they ? You look at the thread about 'Come Fly with Me' and you'll see a wide variance of opinion. The thing about Boyle is that he does make some people laugh, it's matter of personal taste.

Yeah, you're right. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear as I intended. I was just speaking for myself.
For example, I love the supposedly obscene rambling of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore as Derek & Clive on cancer, incest etc. but am not particularly taken by Boyle. It's not the subject matter, I'm not one who gets offended by things easily, if at all really, it's about the quality + ingenuity of the humour that counts. It's why Frank Skinner is funny when talking about sticking a finger up his arse when wanking and someone like Chubby Brown or Jim Davidson is not.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yeah, you're right. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear as I intended. I was just speaking for myself.
For example, I love the supposedly obscene rambling of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore as Derek & Clive on cancer, incest etc. but am not particularly taken by Boyle. It's not the subject matter, I'm not one who gets offended by things easily, if at all really, it's about the quality + ingenuity of the humour that counts. It's why Frank Skinner is funny when talking about sticking a finger up his arse when wanking and someone like Chubby Brown or Jim Davidson is not.

I take your point and agree wholeheartedly. A point very well made.

burstead

Not a Registered User
Jul 24, 2010
to call it schoolboy humour wouldn't be fair on schoolboys.
I like offensive jokes, i like Jerry Sadowitz but frankie is just shit

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Jonno, I agree with your last point but disagree with the comment about the rest of the Mock The Week panel being "pretty abysmal". I don't think there's a quick-witted all-rounder out there to touch Dara O'Briain at the moment.

I'd love to know what Dara thinks about the latest outrage again Frankie. As compere MTW was Dara's baby and I bet there's a big part of him that's pleased Boyle left when he did.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I have a fairly high tolerance to shock humour and I've watched all of this series and have found some of the humour distasteful - especially the stuff around AIDS/Cancer which I just found to be needlessly misanthropic but I have the choice to turn off. I think this raises some intersting points though

1. Even within the context of this joke, these words are racially offensive - the joke would have still got its point across using black people or asians as the word in question. Boyle has done this in full knowledge that it would create a stir - no publicity is bad publicity. You can't say that's just how he is because I'm fairly certain Jim Davison's act was toned down for TV - at least I don't remember too many racist jokes in the generation game.

2. Correct me if I'm wrong but Frankie Boyle has a column in The Sun - absolutely direct competition for the Mirror & The Mail. I'm sure that has nothing to do with their outrage.
Completely disagree with your first point. Try saying it yourself and replace the offensive words with 'Asians' and 'Africans'; it doesn't sound nearly so effective and it doesn't properly mock the casual racism of out attitude to Afghanistan where the death of Brit is a tragedy but the death of a group of locals is just a minor detail. Without the offensive words it wouldn't have been joke so much as a slightly pious 'Guardian-esque' statement.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My friend got the dvd for Xmas so I watched it. The thing is his bile justs becomes boring after a while and you become desensitised to what he is actually saying. He seems obsessed with Cancer in particular and seems to find the whole aspect of people dying of cancer absolutely hilarious. The worst gag in a long list of bad gags was the one " Jack must be happy as when Jade Goody got cancer as it meant she got slimmer and her c*nt got tighter ". How anyone can even think this let alone say it is beyond me but judging by the howls of laughter from the audience it seems this country is now full of fucktards who have no levels to the depravity in which they will wollow. The Baby P, Madeline and Rape " jokes " were just poor and not even that funny. The disabled kid gags and Down syndrome piss takes were lazy and so so obvious. Still some people seem to think he is a comic genius so each to their own. I would like to hope Karma will deliver this repulsive piece of work with a slow and agonising death from cancer. That is probably the only thing about Boyle what would make me laugh.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I also watched Sean Lock which although had some good moments dragged at 90 minutes and was overall a dissapointment. Overall Michael McIntyre's show at Wembley recently pissed on Boyle and Lock to be honest. McIntyre may be a flop haired , daily mail reading posh Tory Boy but he is still at the peak of his game and his humour and observation was at a different level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports