[Albion] Frank Worthington RIP

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
Remember seeing him with the page 3 model Jane Warner in the Black Lion, Patcham one Sunday. He made the most of life that’s for sure.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
A real cool dude and a fabulous footballer.
Loved watching him play for the Albion.
RIP Frank.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
How good?

The ball control of Victorian prisoner bound for Australia
The range of passes of Glenn Hoddle
The skill and co-ordination of a murmuration through an Autumn sunset over the Palace Pier
The foot of a traction engine
The style of finest Americana

And - I'm heading for trouble here - better to watch even than Vicente.

RIP Frank Worthington.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If I remember correctly, he flicked the ball up in the air and volleyed it from around 30 yards. It hit the South Stand crossbar and went in off Dave Beasant's back and would have counted as an own goal these days but was all Worthington's by right.

There's a great story of him nearly signing for Liverpool but failing the medical because of high blood pressure. Liverpool put him on a plane to Spain for a few days' rest to see if it would sort the problem but on the flight he met some Swedish blonde. He spent the whole time in Spain shagging himself (and her) senseless and arrived back with even higher blood pressure than before.

Definitely in off the bar but I had forgotten or blanked out that it had gone in off the keeper's back.

Top story :thumbsup:

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I had a season ticket on the West Stand the season he played for us. When he wasn't playing he used to sit next to me. Sometimes with his mate Malcolm McDonald, who was running a pub in Worthing at the time. For someone brought up watching football on there 70s I used to be utterly starstruck. RIP a true great of the game.

Surprised Malcolm came along, wasn’t his car turned over (with him in it) by our lot away at Luton in the 70s?

Rip. Frank.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We talk about players like Vicente etc, but he was one of the greats that I was privileged to see. He generated excitement when he signed.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
He was far too good for our bunch of (comparative) donkeys at the time, even though his legs had gone by then.

He would play lay-offs in the penalty area to openings where our forwards ought to be, except they didn't have the football brains to see them and get there in time.

Pure class.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
RIP. Remembered as one of the biggest cult players in Allsvenskan despite only playing here for half a season. They still remember him especially over at Mjällby AIF.

"Frank, whats the best club you ever played in?"

"Best club? Hanöhus Night Club!"

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
From that Guardian article
"Once described by the former Huddersfield and Bolton manager Ian Greaves as “the working man’s George Best”, Worthington played in 22 consecutive Football League seasons from 1966-67, scoring 266 goals in 882 appearances in all competitions."

72 is no age, younger than me. But I would swap lives with him and die earler ......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports