Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Frank Lampard

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yes - even if only in an elder statesman role, but I think he would have more to offer than that.
Statesman for whom? He doesn't speak for me or my club. He's an over the hill player looking for one last pay cheque.

There's no position for him to fill and I don't want the club trying to create one for him, we've a great spirit in the team, let's not even think about pissing about with it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Statesman for whom? He doesn't speak for me or my club. He's an over the hill player looking for one last pay cheque.

There's no position for him to fill and I don't want the club trying to create one for him, we've a great spirit in the team, let's not even think about pissing about with it.

This.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I know I go on about old timers but as Beach Hut said what is to not like about him being player coach. Doing his badges and play/sit on bench as required provided his wage is reasonable. No 2 to CH but not sure if they are known to each other very well.

Can't remember who it is on here who posts the scantily clad women of the teams most famous fans ? - Whilst many might look forward to seeing a scantily clad Christine Blakely, I don't see anything other than that being of benefit.

An assistant to the Manager has to be someone he knows he can work with and as for playing staff. The reports mentioned are suggesting that if we get promoted we will offer him a deal. CH is the type of bloke who won't even discuss the up and coming Cardiff match with you because there is a small matter of the Fulham match to deal with first, so with all the if's and but's in between, I wouldn't read to much into reports like that

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Why not? But how much will it cost. As mentioned, he's a been there done that guy with so much experience. Could he transfer that to other players though? Would he be able to be 2nd or even lower than that? That's a yes from me Simon.

I think that many of our players especially defenders learnt so much from Wayne Bridge and just to have someone like him in training and in the dressing room was a big boost, especially for the younger players, Frank would have the same effect, maybe even more so and can still play to a high level, apart from money I don't see the problem.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think that many of our players especially defenders learnt so much from Wayne Bridge and just to have someone like him in training and in the dressing room was a big boost, especially for the younger players, Frank would have the same effect, maybe even more so and can still play to a high level, apart from money I don't see the problem.

IMHO we're currently on a massive roll based as much on team spirit as on ability (tho we have loads of that too, obviously). Why risk dropping an ageing Frank Lampard into the equation? Or, heaven forbid we even think about it, a Bigtime Charlie disruptive element like Joey Barton? Why risk ruining the good things we've currently got going for us? An ego-free striker in January would be grand, but other than that, let's maybe see how far this thing takes us aye?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It depends on what FL's motives are.

If he's after one last pay day: China.
If he's after just playing one more season while he still can: League 1.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
IMHO we're currently on a massive roll based as much on team spirit as on ability (tho we have loads of that too, obviously). Why risk dropping an ageing Frank Lampard into the equation? Or, heaven forbid we even think about it, a Bigtime Charlie disruptive element like Joey Barton? Why risk ruining the good things we've currently got going for us? An ego-free striker in January would be grand, but other than that, let's maybe see how far this thing takes us aye?

I am currently on the Khazi trying to do one of my Sunday ones but nothing was happening until you mentioned Joey Barton and The Albion in the same sentence, I am grateful for your post as I was getting pins and needles in my legs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't get all this talk about upsetting the team spirit.

As said in the equally nonsensical Stevie G threads, what makes posters think the squad can't deal with a player turning up and acting all Billy Big Bollox?

I can't see any player arriving and being allowed by the likes of Stockdale, Bruno, Murray, Rosenior, Duffy et al to upset the dressing room.

I'm sure any player turning up thinking they are 'above' the others would have a very quick and steep learning curve.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I can't see any player arriving and being allowed by the likes of Stockdale, Bruno, Murray, Rosenior, Duffy et al to upset the dressing room.

There are new contracts to be discussed; players and their agents tend to know roughly what other players are getting. If for some reason we employed Lampard then it would be for mega-bucks, he would almost certainly be one of the highest paid players in the team and no guarantee of even being in the first team. Just his presence could cause resentment. That's one reason right there.

Another reason - look at how successful our team is compared to other far more expensive squads in this league. It's in no small way down to Chris Hughton preferring a team thankfully devoid of big egos. Even our huge signing in the summer that didn't come off, Alex Pritchard, is a relatively unknown name, carefully selected to fit into a way of playing. All of a sudden we are going to break that successful system we've got to buy an ex-England star and a household name. It will undoubtedly focus media and fan attention on him. And then there's the fact that he's well past his sell-by-date and there doesn't seem to be a vacant position in which to play him. Where does he go? Drop Sidwell or Kayal or Stephens? More reasons. And all these reasons are made on the presumption that he doesn't act like a Billy Big Bollocks.

We're a club that have been in the play-offs 3 seasons out of the last 4, we're second in the table and looking to try to step up into the Premier League. We don't need this has-been at the club.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't get all this talk about upsetting the team spirit.

As said in the equally nonsensical Stevie G threads, what makes posters think the squad can't deal with a player turning up and acting all Billy Big Bollox?

Why even risk upsetting the team spirit to simply accommodate some ageing has-been player on a downward trend, just to save them from having to apply for a Chinese visa? Our wages would be mere loose change for the player in question, their commitment to the cause would be questionable, the damage to the fragile ecosystem of the dressing room would be immense. IMHO, like. Gone are the head-mental Withdean days when we signed up the likes of Robbie Savage and Eminem's dad for no good reason at all. I mean, what would be the point when we're already getting near sellouts for home games and - more importantly - the players are playing as a tight-knit unit?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh sorry I wasn't saying 'let's get Lampard in, the dressing room will sort him out', that's a fookin stupid (nonsensical) idea.

I was meaning generally, as surely the 'but he might end up ruining the team spirit' could be said of many many players.

The squad needs a striker, this January.
If that striker is bought, he's going to be for big money, on a big wage, that's just the nature of beast.
That can go hand in hand with 'character'.

Unless in the unlikely event the recruitment team has landed Balotelli, I just think we shouldn't sell the squad short in their ability to keep everybody pointing in the same direction.
If they have well all bets are off and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't get all this about him costing huge bucks. He is out of contract now (I assume) so his current wages will be £0.00. Granted, PL players get huge wages, but he isn't a PL player any more - if he comes to us he will be a Championship player. If CH wants him, and he wants to play, those will be the factors in any wage negotiations. The fact that he was once an England international is not relevant now - OK, factor in a bit for his experience, but that's all.

PS. I'm still a 'no' as far as getting him in here.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Frank Lampard is a superb player and would improve our side massively. He has scored goals for fun throughout his career and would bag hatfuls if he played in the championship

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here