Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] France’s Plan To Ban Short-Haul Domestic Flights

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not that there's a single poster on this forum that needs reminding our transport infrastructure is a joke, here's one anyway:-

The days of short-haul flights in Europe are numbered, at least in France. On Friday the European Commission gave the go ahead for France to prevent flights between Paris Orly airport and Nantes, Lyon, and Bordeaux.

If, after three years, the concept is judged successful then more flight routes will be banned.

As part of the country’s Climate Law, France wants to abolish flights between cities that are linked by a train journey of less than two and a half hours. New high-speed rail lines—part of the EU's TEN-T project—will make many short-haul flights redundant across Europe, believe planners and politicians

Based on their 2 1/2 hour criteria, we couldn't even ban flights from Shoreham to Gatwick :)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Given how often the French rail strikes happen (including during the Euros in 2016 which forced us to fly) can’t see that lasting long. Even Eurostar is incredibly expensive. I tried to use it recently and when it was working, it was 2x-3x the cost of flights (and 2x longer)

How long does it take to ride a bike from Lille to Nice anyway ?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think with the excellent domestic rail network in France, so many cities reahable from the capital within two & a half hours, that this really could work.

Obviously not a cat in Hell's chance of it catching on in the Uk though, where on British Snail it takes nearly half of that time to reach London from the coast, even on a good day.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Even Eurostar is incredibly expensive. I tried to use it recently and when it was working, it was 2x-3x the cost of flights (and 2x longer)
Who wouldn't want the sort of rail service described in the the OP.

A few years back, I knew a fella that worked in Brussels. He Eurostarred the commute. He got first class returns booked out there cheaper than council class returns bookable from here.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not that there's a single poster on this forum that needs reminding our transport infrastructure is a joke, here's one anyway:-

The days of short-haul flights in Europe are numbered, at least in France. On Friday the European Commission gave the go ahead for France to prevent flights between Paris Orly airport and Nantes, Lyon, and Bordeaux.

If, after three years, the concept is judged successful then more flight routes will be banned.

As part of the country’s Climate Law, France wants to abolish flights between cities that are linked by a train journey of less than two and a half hours. New high-speed rail lines—part of the EU's TEN-T project—will make many short-haul flights redundant across Europe, believe planners and politicians

Based on their 2 1/2 hour criteria, we couldn't even ban flights from Shoreham to Gatwick :)
This would have been better, if the head line read:

France’s Plan To Ban Short-Haul Channel Crossings to the UK.​

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Sounds like a great idea.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Germany, Spain, Italy, all could do similar, all have excellent, and fast, mainline rail servises city to city.

True of most westernised European countries in fact . . . except Britain of course.
Even so, for the sake of the environment and emissions and all that, even in Britain it would be a good idea. Need to re-nationalise the railways though, and make the fares cheaper.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Even so, for the sake of the environment and emissions and all that, even in Britain it would be a good idea. Need to re-nationalise the raiways though, and make the fares cheaper.
I agree, l've a feeling that Hell will freeze over before that ever happens though, certainly if a Tory government remains in power.

Even then a massive railway rebuilding programme will need to start. We are just so far behind the rest of Europe in that respect . . . most respects come to think of it!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I assume private jets will still be allowed to carry the wealthy wherever they want….one rule for….
There are moves to make them contribute to their climate damage.

I'd heavily tax them and put a levy on all premium economy, business and 1st class fares

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
They already subsidise the peasants in economy as it is 😂
Possibly so, still doesn't make it right. For the average consumer its probably the single most carbon intensive activity available, if I was offered a free upgrade I'd decline it.

Imagine the equivalent VAT and duty you'd pay pro-rata if you burnt that much fuel in road travel

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Possibly so, still doesn't make it right. For the average consumer its probably the single most carbon intensive activity available, if I was offered a free upgrade I'd decline it.

Imagine the equivalent VAT and duty you'd pay pro-rata if you burnt that much fuel in road travel
The thing is the airlines do tax it - just no one taxes them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here