Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fox hunting

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Maybe we need a cull on humans as we have way to many???
If we have to many foxes then so what...Its all part of life:thumbsup:

Makes you wonder why the Wolf was killed off in this country in the 17th Century,they would not tollerate a fox about and this thread would not be a talking point.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Emotive subject my thoughts being brought up on farm watched hunting and done bit of shooting.The Fox is cunning and clever... the well Fox can out run the Hounds...The fox can penetrate nearly any chicken/pheasant run....The Fox has no natural predator..every fox caught by hounds is killed in seconds.....Hunting people have their share but are most are not upper class Toffs...There seem to be more Foxes in towns nowadays.....Their numbers do need to be controlled.... Shooting is not the efficient measure it is purported to be.... Most are shot/wounded with either shotgun(useless above 60 yards) or .22 rimfire(very small bullet).
Larger rifles would kill most instantly but are(and rightly so) hard to get hold of for average shooter.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The annual fox hunting nsc debate.... pass me a sherry would you watson.

Yup. This year 'we' landed a washing machine size bit of kit on a lump of rock millions of miles away yet when it comes to vermin control, the only thing some can come up with is a plea to return to the good ol' days of chasing it mob handed to the point of exhaustion before having it ripped to shreds. Amazing ain't it?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yup. This year 'we' landed a washing machine size bit of kit on a lump of rock millions of miles away yet when it comes to vermin control, the only thing some can come up with is a plea to return to the good ol' days of chasing it mob handed to the point of exhaustion before having it ripped to shreds. Amazing ain't it?

Awaits the conspiracy thread now of how we did no such thing :lolol:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Of course, I'm just always surprised at the ignorance surrounding animals used in sport.

I also find the reluctance of those supporting fox hunting to talk about it annoying. They've heard all the fox complaints before.

I'm quite agnostic towards it in truth. I'd like a bit more honesty in the debate. It's quite an easy question isn't it ? How many hounds did your hunt put down last year ?

If hunting with dogs is effective (as argued) than surely discussion of the above has to form part of the argument.

Likewise - on the part of those who support fox hunting being honest that the hunt is for fun, and defend it on that basis.

On the part of those anti-hunting that fox hunting is just one of many 'sports' that cause distress and pain to animals and probably with the fewest number of participants.

Greyhound racing sees between 8-10,000 retired or unsuitable dogs being euthanased each year with a similar number of pups put down in their first few weeks.

Millions go fishing, striking a hook through the mouth of a live animal, the 'playing' the fish before it is landed and then either killed by clubbing, allowed to asphyxiate or if they are lucky returned to the water, often injured.

Horse racing results in many magnificent animals being abandoned at the end of their career or when they have just turned out as 'unsuitable - not to mention those that die on the track - http://www.gubbage.com/horse-racing-death-register-track

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Likewise - on the part of those who support fox hunting being honest that the hunt is for fun, and defend it on that basis.

On the part of those anti-hunting that fox hunting is just one of many 'sports' that cause distress and pain to animals and probably with the fewest number of participants.

Greyhound racing sees between 8-10,000 retired or unsuitable dogs being euthanased each year with a similar number of pups put down in their first few weeks.

Millions go fishing, striking a hook through the mouth of a live animal, the 'playing' the fish before it is landed and then either killed by clubbing, allowed to asphyxiate or if they are lucky returned to the water, often injured.

Horse racing results in many magnificent animals being abandoned at the end of their career or when they have just turned out as 'unsuitable - not to mention those that die on the track - http://www.gubbage.com/horse-racing-death-register-track

Sums up my views 100%

Has to form part of a wider debate about animals killed in pursuit of fun not food.

The life of a fox is a very small part of it. As apparently a nation of dog lovers I find it surprising the debate doesn't surround the hounds

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Can't we all agree that those who derive pleasure from the act of killing animals in this age of supermarkets and available food are clearly devoid of compassion at a base level.

Not unless you are excluding 'for food purposes'.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It is not inhumane. In fact it has been proven to be more humane than shooting, the most common method that the 'anti's' seem to suggest as an alternative.

What method did the foxes prefer?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm not a fan of fox hunting and have banned hunts from running across my land but not worth getting wound up about, it's only a fox, they're not endangered so it makes no odds and provides jobs.
The only reason I won't have them on my land is that I can't stand the assumptive attitude of the privileged.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
How would you like it if I climbed up on the Amex roof next home game, lower a rope with a hook and grab hold of your jaw. Pull you up 60ft then just pull the hook out and throw you back down to you're seat?

When compared to being ripped apart by dogs, yes please.

And what percentage of fish get pulled up 60ft and thrown onto a seat?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
If they are a pest, get a trained professional out to trap them and kill them swiftly, not assemble several friends on horse back and red jackets to chase them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A suitable alternative to fox-hunting is http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Send_in_the_Dogs. It's similar but the toffs are replaced by police dog handlers, and the dogs typically chase thieving chavs across people's back gardens. Highly entertaining television and no animals are killed for my pleasure.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Take a step back from the issue.

Could it be with all the real issues in the world and our country the left has chosen "Fox Hunting" as THE reason not to vote Tory? Do they not wish to take them on over immigration, the health service, the economy, job creation, transport .... no, don't vote Tory because they all go fox hunting and eat swan!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Take a step back from the issue.

Could it be with all the real issues in the world and our country the left has chosen "Fox Hunting" as THE reason not to vote Tory? Do they not wish to take them on over immigration, the health service, the economy, job creation, transport .... no, don't vote Tory because they all go fox hunting and eat swan!

What rubbish. The issue has been raised by the Tories to attract votes. Seems they are the ones turning it back into political hot potato!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I am firm of the belief that the Labour government used fox hunting as a stick to beat rural Tory voters with, it was a politically cynical move. I don't really think much more than 20% of the population were that bothered about it either way.

That said, I think the Tories would be mad to even suggest bringing it back, yes it might save a few UKIP defections but the damage to its image at large could be very costly. Labour may have done what they did for the wrong reasons but it is something probably best left in the past.

Overall, I'd like our elected officials to be concentrating on more important matters.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Overall, I'd like our elected officials to be concentrating on more important matters.

Quite. Which makes me think this is a smokescreen to deflect attention from other more important areas. The economy is now being shown for what it is....so Cameron rolls out a topic NO ONE was remotely thinking about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here