FourFourTwo - start of season predictions

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Just came across my FourFourTwo magazine from the beginning of the season, in which it gave predictions for every club in the Football League. I always find it quite amusing looking back on predictions from a year or two back (such as many made on this board).

Anyway, if anyone's interested, this is, in part, what they had to say about the teams in League One:

Bournemouth - As well as playing good football, Bournemouth battled to maintain their place in the top three when the pressure was on. A similar approach should ensure a successful season in League One. Prediction: 15th

Brentford - The Bees certainly overachieved last season so even a mid-table position would be a competent return this term. Much will depend on whether the much-lauded Andy Scott remains at Griffin Park. 13th

Brighton - With a settled squad of players, Brighton can upset the big guns in the division. They need to improve their form at Withdean, though. 4th

FAN'S VIEW - Richard Morris
HOPES: We trouble the top six places.
FEARS: We fail to replace captain marvel and player of the year Andrew Crofts, who chose to warm Norwich's bench rather than lead us to the Championship.
OTHER FANS THINK WE'RE... Effeminate.
HOW WILL IT FEEL PLAYING YOUR LAST SEASON AT WITHDEAN? Wet and cold, like every other season there.
WHERE WILL YOU FINISH? 8th or higher.

Bristol Rovers - Mid-table again looks likely. Hopes will be pinned on Will Hoskins, with ageing Ghanaian frontman Jo Kuffour expected to chip in with his share of goals again. 12th

Carlisle - Unless they get over their travel sickness, it's difficult to see how the side can improve on last season's mid-table position. 19th.

Charlton - Missing out on promotion last season would have hurt but, having kept the bulk of the squad together, Charlton have the quality. 2nd.

Colcheter - With little hope of adding players to his squad, and with the few quality player he already has linked with moves elsewhere, Ward will see anything above mid-table as an achievement. 10th

Dagenham and Red - Will their direct approach be found out this season? Even if it's not, the lack of transfer budget could make them relegation fodder. 22nd

Exeter City - Exeter will have learned plenty of valuable lessons from last season and should emerge stronger for it. With the additions made, they will hope to end the campaign more comfortably this time around. 14th

Hartlepool - Hard to see anything other than a season of struggle at Victoria Park. Unrest off the pitch can only lead to difficulties on it. 24th

Huddersfield - Another sixth-place finish for the terriers and another crack at the play-offs. 6th

Leyton Orient - It's been a struggle in League One for the O's, so maybe they'd be more comfortable with life in the basement division. 21st

MK Dons - With a rookie boss and a limited budget, it'll be hard to compete with the top clubs. They'll do well to maintain their place as a top-half club. 11th

Notts County - With the momentum behind them and pretty much the same side as last season, County should be one of the surprise packages this season. And they still have Lee Hughes to score the lion's share of the goals. 8th

Oldham - Dickov will keep Oldham safe from the drop but they can expect a third season of relative anonymity in the third tier. 17th

Peterborough - Peterborough fans will no doubt be delighted about Boyd's return, as he was often the difference between success and failure. But for all his talents, this plucky Posh side may just fall short when it matters. 7th

Plymouth Argyle - Given the Pilgrims' overhaul this summer, it would be asking too much of Peter Reid to hit the ground running and that may tell come the end of the campaign. 9th

Rochdale - Given Hill's money worries and Dale's small crowds, it's going to be a season of struggle but, ultimately, survival. 18th

Sheffield Weds - As long as Wednesday keep the bulk of their squad intact, they should have enough to make the play-offs at least. 3rd

Southampton - They certainly have all the tools at their disposal for a successful campaign. 1st

Swindon Town - As long as they keep hold of Charlie Austin, Swindon have a real chance of repeating their feats of last season. Wilson will use his knowledge to replace strike partner Billy Paynter. 5th

Tranmere Rovers - They survived the drop into League Two last time round, but will need to take that momentum and possible more into the new League One season to repeat the miracle. 23rd

Walsall - The Saddlers have been too reliant on the goals of Troy Deeney these past couple of seasons and the 22-year-old needs help if they are to replicate last season's exploits. The retirement of influential keeper Clayton Ince will also be a blow. 16th

Yeovil Town - Hard to anything other than another season of scrapping and struggle. Will escape the drop, just. 20th

There are a few massively incorrect predictions, but overall it's probably not too far off what I would have predicted at the beginning of the season. Fair play FourFourTwo.

Richie Morris' prediction probably isn't too far off what I would have predicted too, but how wrong he was about Crofts!

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
HOW WILL IT FEEL PLAYING YOUR LAST SEASON AT WITHDEAN? Wet and cold, like every other season there.

This was well off the mark also, think it only really rained the first game. Driest Withdean season ever?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Overall not far off?

I think they are way off to be honest. Some of the teams were quite easy to predict in regards to mid-table obscurity with the likes of colchester,Brentford and the like however its the relegation and promotion races that are the tough part.

3 places or more out isnt a good prediction in my eyes.

They have got only 3 of the top 6, got the champions wrong and predicted only one in the bottom four, so without sounding too harsh I wouldnt say its fair play or successful.

Bournemouth - completely wrong
Bristol Rovers - completely wrong
Charlton - completely wrong
Hartlepool - completely wrong
Orient - completely wrong
MK Dons - completely wrong
Notts County - completely wrong
Plymouth - completely wrong
Rochdale - completely wrong
Sheff Wed - completely wrong
Swindon - completely wrong

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Mind you Richie's views were pretty much the same as everybody else's, yes I am so pleasantly surprised this season !

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
Overall not far off?

If you read my post properly, you'd notice that I said it's not far off what I would have predicted, but carry on....

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Not sure many on here predicted us to piss the league and have it won with almost a month of the season left to go

I don't think anybody, especially we fans ! The only drawback is the expectation for next season, personally I would be delighted with a mid table finish, preferably higher than certain teams that aren't too far away.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Those FourFourTwo predictions of finishing order are pretty much ALL well wide of the mark. Without getting all anorakky about it, can't see very much they've got much right there. Nobody knows anything.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
If you read my post properly, you'd notice that I said it's not far off what I would have predicted, but carry on....

I did read it, "fair play four four two"

Fair play for what, not predicting it correctly.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
I did read it, "fair play four four two"

Fair play for what, not predicting it correctly.

Fair play for giving an (ultimately wrong) prediction along the lines of one I would have given around the same time. I think you're reading way too much into my comments. I just thought some of the predictions (Wednesday, Charlton, Swindon etc) were quite amusing.

Also, they were pretty wrong about the CHAMPIONS.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I agree it does make fascinating reading. They are a long way off in reality, but I think at the beginning of the season I would probably have agreed with most of that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports