Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four horse race

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Six clubs in for the autos, and three clubs waiting for someone to slip.

If we beat Wednesday, it could be down to five.

Unless Hull and Boro lose when not expected to it is those two. If they slip once, Burnley might catch them. If they slip twice we might catch them. But Boro might need to bottle it a second time in the final game of the 46.

Points on board count for a lot. Hull have got the easiest fixtures.

As well as playing each other a few times, the top four teams all have to visit Birmingham. I think they are a particulalry awkward team to play as Derby found out on thier own ground.

I am looking for the top 3 to slip up to give us a sporting chance.

I think SW and Derby are out of auto consideration. Realistically, they would have to win 10 out of 12 remaining and their respective current form suggests not: Derby in free fall and SW not won in 3.

Yes, the top 3 have to slip up but it has really only got to be one slip up each and then it is down to very thin margins between us all. This could go to the wire.

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
Perusing the fixtures it's difficult for me not to make Hull the odds on favourites. The second spot is up for grabs but Hull should get there IMO.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Perusing the fixtures it's difficult for me not to make Hull the odds on favourites. The second spot is up for grabs but Hull should get there IMO.

I agree. Hull look to have the easiest run in, if there is such a thing. But if they somehow managed to squeeze past Arsenal in the FA Cup, the extra games could put pressure on their squad. Surely they'd make winning the Championship their priority though?

There are a few big games coming up... We have an in form Preston and then Sheffield Wednesday. Hull have Birmingham who have play off hopes. Then there's Albion v Burnley and Hull v Boro. Everything is still up for grabs. It all depends on who can win the games that they are expected to. Boro have already slipped up against Blackburn.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
jou.jpg

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Just hope we can keep up our recent good form, Hemed and Baldock seem a great combo up front, what is it 11 wins and 5 draws when they've both started? That's 2.375 points per game when they've started and we have strengthened the squad since the start of season. If they stay fit we could come flying in on the inside rail and pip Boro, Hull and Burnley for a photo finish! :)

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
With 12 games ( a quarter of the season) to go and the top 4 seperated by 2 points it's still wide open Perseus. Way too early to be calling it as any teams to lose.

I agree with this. As the Evening Argus's finest-ever Albion reporter wrote (I paraphrase) just before Christmas 1978: 'If there's one thing that's certain it's that the Albion won't be going up this season'. All right, it's March now, but it's still too early. We always call it too early.

(If I had to bet the ranch on the two auto places now I'd say Hull and Boro, but I suspect I'm voting for their stadiums as much as their teams.)

ipad1977

Sep 28, 2015
I thought Boro would have a tough time last night (had it as a draw) but reckon they have 4 wins coming up now.
Not so sure about that. Boro have trouble against the dross and find it easier against the teams at the top. The record against sides at the bottom, particularly away is abysmal for Boro's standards. Yet their results aginst the top 6 so far are P7 W5 D1 L1 with more away games than homes in that set of results too! The games Boro are most likely to win are Hull(H) Ipswich(H) Brighton(H) Burnley(A)Brum(A) I wouldn't be too surprised to see victories in these five matches and hit and miss results for the other eight, say 3-4 wins, a draw or two and about 3 defeats.

Think of Boro as the Robin Hood of the Championship, liking to hoover up points and smash those at the top and give to the poor, gifting them with poor performances and something to cheer about.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Everyone has to play Brum away and there are still several 6 pointers to come.

I thought Boro would have a tough time last night (had it as a draw) but reckon they have 4 wins coming up now.

I agree with [MENTION=153]perseus[/MENTION], we need those above us to slip once, maybe twice and at the same time we need to keep winning the games "we're supposed to"

Boro' will be hoping not to slip up in the next 4 games, as they all look winnable - the good news is that the last of that sequence is against Hull, so points dropped by Hull if you are right.

I note to that after playing Wolves Boro' have 3 home games on the bounce, before finishing with a tough last 4 against Burnley, Ipswich, Birmingham and us, so again, potential to drop points.

It's going to be very interesting, and probably very tight - my calculations now have Brighton 2 points behind Boro' going to the last game - will just be a case of whether Boro' are in 3rd or 2nd place come May 7th as to whether a win will see us gain an automatic spot!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's going to be very interesting, and probably very tight - my calculations now have Brighton 2 points behind Boro' going to the last game - will just be a case of whether Boro' are in 3rd or 2nd place come May 7th as to whether a win will see us gain an automatic spot!

I have us 1 point behind Boro going into the last game and level with Hull and Burnley ... can't believe it will be that tight, but hopefully we won't be the ones to slip up

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have us 1 point behind Boro going into the last game and level with Hull and Burnley ... can't believe it will be that tight, but hopefully we won't be the ones to slip up

Now that would be ridiculously tight! At the moment it seems quite likely it will be tight, but wouldn't be surprised if one of the 4 blows up, again just hope it's not us...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here