Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 'Form goes out the window'

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
And not forgetting 'As sick as a parrot, or 'over the moon'.
My favourite one is about hitting 'the woodwork'. I'm not sure when goals were made out of wood, but I certainly don't ever remember seeing any.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
That's how football language develops. People hear a phrase and use it to fit in.

Anyone remember 'he turned on a sixpence' or 'he took him to the cleaners'?

This season's new one seems to be cohesion/ cohesive

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My favourite one is about hitting 'the woodwork'. I'm not sure when goals were made out of wood, but I certainly don't ever remember seeing any.
Youngster! When I was at school not only were the goal posts made out of wood they were also square. None of this modern elliptical rubbish.

But yes, it is a bit of a redundant expression now; rather like talking about 'high street banks'.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Youngster! When I was at school not only were the goal posts made out of wood they were also square. None of this modern elliptical rubbish.

But yes, it is a bit of a redundant expression now; rather like talking about 'high street banks'.
That's true. I think the goals at my primary school were wooden – although they were already pretty old then.

In terms of league football, I can't remember wooden goals. Anyone know when they were phased out?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I would imagine it was an absolute pane.
They'd almost certainly have a glazed look on their faces when they hit the ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here