Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forest spending getting silly now

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Boro fan here in peace. Look up rockcliffe hall and golf course at middlesbrough trIning ground. Steve Gibson has put in 50 million into this development for the football club over the last 7 years. 5 star hotel and spa facilities and the 2nd longest golf course in Europe. In 2009 he stated this would be the equivelant revenue to selling out the riverside 35k fans every game of the season on top of the gates we get now. Maybe this is how we can afford players.
Yet you still made a loss of 14 million which would fail FFP if you don't bring that figure down. Going by your spending this season i cannot see it.

Eston hills

Aug 6, 2014
Yet you still made a loss of 14 million which would fail FFP if you don't bring that figure down. Going by your spending this season i cannot see it.

Steve Gibson was born in a council house on Teesside, stood on the terraces as a kid, borrowed £1k of his father to start a company and is now runs a multimillion pound company. By his early 20's he brought together a consortium in 1986 and saved the club folding and we were a hour away of getting kicked out of the football league. We also had to abide by new fa rules that made us pay back every penny we owed and show we had working capital for the season. The fa tried to make an example of us. He became chairman, we built the biggest stadium built since WWII, he started it off (look at how many people followed) with foresight of what the premier league was going to be. Our crowds went from 18k to 30k. He has put in millions upon millions into our club. And would never put the club at risk. We now have Peter Kenyon as our adviser to Gibson. Steve Gibson will have a plan, and who am I to question it? In my eyes, he is the best chairman in england and Boro through and through. He stated that the golf course and hotel was for the club, not sure if it has gone into it or not yet. I know we lost 14 million last year, all out of his own pocket. We will see as the season goes on what happens.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Steve Gibson was born in a council house on Teesside, stood on the terraces as a kid, borrowed £1k of his father to start a company and is now runs a multimillion pound company. By his early 20's he brought together a consortium in 1986 and saved the club folding and we were a hour away of getting kicked out of the football league. We also had to abide by new fa rules that made us pay back every penny we owed and show we had working capital for the season. The fa tried to make an example of us. He became chairman, we built the biggest stadium built since WWII, he started it off (look at how many people followed) with foresight of what the premier league was going to be. Our crowds went from 18k to 30k. He has put in millions upon millions into our club. And would never put the club at risk. We now have Peter Kenyon as our adviser to Gibson. Steve Gibson will have a plan, and who am I to question it? In my eyes, he is the best chairman in england and Boro through and through. He stated that the golf course and hotel was for the club, not sure if it has gone into it or not yet. I know we lost 14 million last year, all out of his own pocket. We will see as the season goes on what happens.

Not sure what any of that has got to do with FFP. The whole idea is to live within your means as a club, not the means of your chairman. You may have a big stadium but so do Darlington, it's the punters that fill it that matters and yours don't. Hopefully all will become clear in due course and those abusing FFP will be punished accordingly.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

It does not matter how much Gibson is willing to invest, FFP limits how much of the debt he is allowed to cover. That amount reduces every season.

Yes, you guys are very lucky to have a chairman like Steve Gibson, same as we are very lucky to have Bloom. However, the depths of their pockets should not allow either club to flout the rules. Do you think Middlesbrough with an average gate of less than 16,000 and no parachute payments can afford to sign all these players and remain within FFP rules? Maybe you can, though I would say that it looks unlikely from what I have seen of your finances over the last few years.

Eston hills

Aug 6, 2014
Was showing we don't have some random foreigner in charge and someone who cares about the club. Same thing that has happened to us as is brighton now, new stadium, big crowds. When we got relegated from the premier league late 90's, we added another 5k extra seats and sold out 35k fans weekly. Up until 10 years ago we were getting 30k and the season we got relegated we got 28k. We have had to put up with terrible performances for 6 years now. If we are winning and doing well at the top of the league our crowds will rise again.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Quite frankly I'm sick of all these clubs voting in FFP and then trying every trick in the book to get round it, or ignore it.

Just be honest - ditch FFP.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Was showing we don't have some random foreigner in charge and someone who cares about the club. Same thing that has happened to us as is brighton now, new stadium, big crowds. When we got relegated from the premier league late 90's, we added another 5k extra seats and sold out 35k fans weekly. Up until 10 years ago we were getting 30k and the season we got relegated we got 28k. We have had to put up with terrible performances for 6 years now. If we are winning and doing well at the top of the league our crowds will rise again.

We know all that, we also know that our crowds will drop.

This discussion, in the main, is about FFP and how some clubs seem to be able to still make big money signings yet our club does not/can not. We have the highest attendances in the league, unprecedented concourse sales, sold out hospitality, huge sponsorship deal from one the world's best known brands and have just sold a player for £8m. Yet it appears that your club has more transfer funds available than we do.

Do you see why we may be a little confused by this? Most of us would rather conclude that clubs like yours are ignoring FFP than that we are being run poorly/lacking ambition/Burke is a berk.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Because our 26k plus isn't every week, it's not even once a fortnight. Gate receipts were £8.7 million from those attendances, there are five clubs in the division receiving £18 million from parachute payments, and a further five receiving £9 million.

So there's your answer.

Yeah, and Boro aren't one of them..

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Every club gets bumper crowds when in the Premier league, trust me you are no different. You have steady home crowd of around 16k. That is a true reflection of your support The rest are floaters.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
, and in many respects Steve Gibson deserves huge credit for keeping the club afloat following what must have been very tough times post the premier league dream years.

Steve Gibson is a brilliant chairman. Both Boro and we are very, very fortunate. And good luck from me to Boro as well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They had a lower wage bill last year.

You also pocket around £5M from losing the championship play off final. The winning team donates the gate receipts.

I thought the gate receipts at Wembley went to all four play off contenders?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I do understand this but also believe the reason Gibson spent 50m on the hotel complex and golf course was to offset our income to spend more.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rockliffe-hall-rake-money---3715102

The golf course complex may well provide the club with extra income and helpsecure its future - I hope it does.

As regards FFP however it is irrelevant, (as will an hotel at Falmer), because only 'football related' income is taken into account when calculating the FFP profit/loss statement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here