Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

for us children of the 60/70's.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can see this thread running for a lot longer.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was THE program to watch when I was about 8. It was on Thursdays at 8pm (I think). We were allowed to stay up to watch it.

Did anyone collect cards in those days? My first set was The American Civil War series. You got 2 cards, a piece of chewing gum and some confederate money in each pack. There were 88 cards in the series. I found a website that had copies of all the old cards the other day.

Heathfield Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Heathfield
Any one remember the Pop man?

weekly delivery of Corona or something similar

or was that just the sllepy part of Norfolk I was living in in the early 70's

:drink:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Green Shield Stamps.......

My parents both smoked so we used to collect cigarrette cards and also PG Tips tea cards.

Anyone remember Sugar Puffs with those "Strawberry sweetie " things in them. The had more enumbers than a very long word with lots of e's in it.

I used to go to the Saturday morning pictures in Yeoville in Johannesburg when I was about 7/8 on my own. There was normally a couple of cartoons, Buck Rodgers or Champion the Wonder Horse and for a real treat there was a Zorro film. Once we had a band play called the Fireflies, who playe a couple of Monkees hits.

Anyone remember Casey Jones?

SEAGULL USA said:
Superb bit of reminiscing.
My Dad used to lease a black and white telly for 4 months during the winter. I was about 8 and rushed indoors to watch the Lone Ranger only to have 2 blokes from Radio rentals unplug the thing and cart it off half way through.
I cried my eyes out.
This thread should be renamed...
Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear.

cmoore.jpg

A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust and a hearty "Hi Yo Silver!" The Lone Ranger. "Hi Yo Silver, away!" With his faithful Indian companion Tonto, the daring and resourceful masked rider of the plains, led the fight for law and order in the early west. Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear. The Lone Ranger rides again!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I miss milk in glass bottles - silver ones for full cream (that the black birds used to try and peck) and red ones for no cream on top....

We used to do that old science trick and suck the eggs into the empty bottles and leave them out for the milk man - he had to have a chat with Mum about it - I don't think he was amused.....

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Funnily enough we were talking about Milk before. Do you remember they used to leave the milk in the corner of the classroom ( normally the warmest) so when you drunk it , it always had a slightly off smell.

Thatcher stopped all the free milk stuff!

Heathfield Seagull said:
Any one remember the Pop man?

weekly delivery of Corona or something similar

or was that just the sllepy part of Norfolk I was living in in the early 70's

:drink:

We certainly had the Corona pop man in Newport. Four bottles in a wooden crate. They had to last a week.

But, in the summer, you could get a frozen Jubbly from the corner shop.

When we moved to the midlands my dad discovered the Davenport's Beer at Home service. Just like the milkman, except the piece of paper sticking out the top of the empty bottle on the doorstep said "4 pints of pale ale"

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
We never got free milk at school....must be an English thing...

But did you have that purple Iodine that the shcool nurse used to paint on your cuts and scrapes when you fell over.... I got pushed off the jungle gym one day and had skin off everywhere - by the time the nurse had finished with me I looked like I'd been ten rounds in a boxing ring - purple paint everywhere!!

Dandyman

In London village.
Anyone remember Casey Jones ?

Was he the one in the Andy Pandy uniform a'steam' an' a'rollin' or was that just the acid our hippie teachers put in the milk at my primary (Wallands CP, Lewes '68 - '74) ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It was an English thing, we didnt get it in South Africa either.

I remember getting hit in the face with a cricket bat once and the "nurse" covering by chin with the blue iodine. I looked like Rolf harris

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
casey Jones had the fast train thing

This is the thread of the clique that remembers when quiche was called bacon flan.

:)

To qualify, you have to correctly answer the following question:-

What colour was Bagpuss?
The CORRECT answer is, of course .....
.... Black and white

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
wahay!!!!

Nice one ed

Lush

Mods' Pet
I remember....my first school, walking on my own across open fields aged 7, I had to cross two streams which regularly flooded, resulting in wet socks for most of the day...the 101 steps from Valley Drive to get to Westdene Juniors....and to get from Falmer School to the bus stop at the bottom of Coldean Lane, you wandered along a wooded track where once there was a dead body dumped in the undergrowth - the whole school got quizzed for clues by the Old Bill!

Murders don't have "clues" any more. These days we have psychological profiling, DNA analysis and forensic science.

Anyone remember the days of hospital matrons? Bring back Hattie Jaques, I say!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Standing on a bridge, waiting for the steam engine to come by and tring to drop pennies into the funnell as it went by before you got an eyefull of steam!

Putting ha'ppenies on the track and going to pick them up after the train had gone and seeing them squashed like pennies.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lush...wet socks!!!! mmmmm does it for me.

Remember being in assembly when someone had set alight to the boat in the woodwork rooms at Falmer and Mr Wills threatening to expell the purpotrators if they could be found?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Getting caught scrumping apples and being worried sick that my parents would be informed.

Hiding in a hedge and throwing firecrackers underneath the occasional car that went past.

Watching Rawhide with a seriously young Clint Eastwood and a chef called Wishbone. Loving Z Cars and it's theme. hating Peyton Place which seemed to be on everyday. Dixon of Dock Green on a saturday evening

Going to matinees on a Saturday morning and having to listen to the resident organ player between films.

Listening to Radio Luxembourg in bed at night on a the original small transistor radio as it faded in and out every minute.

Last edited:

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
Who owned a Chipper or a Chopper? with some glittery disc thingies on the spokes??

& Spangles................

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Had to sign up for this :

Saturday morning pictures at the ABC Hove - Flash Gordon, stink bombs, getting jumped by other kids on the walk back to Mile Oak

Playing on the Downs for hours on end

Getting a slap from adults for being cheeky - and not daring to tell your parents for fear of another one

Once we had reached adolescence (9 or 10) we were allowed to walk to the Goldstone from Mile Oak

10 no 10's and a book of matches and change out of 10pence to go to Easthill youthclub

sigh ............ i think it's time for my medication now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here