Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] For those wondering Why we still need Pride events

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Indeed. And I'm sure you remember that a certain person (who may or may not be the hypothetical person you might be alluding to) was actually a lot more direct & forthright in his/her/their criticism in the earlier days of posting on here, before perhaps he/she/they realised that these things tend to come back and bite him. Or her. Or them.

Got to be inclusive of course.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sincerely yours, John Ball, Men of Bridlington."

A rather butch sounding group led by a chap named Ball. Is this some very dark League-of-Gentlemen type spoof?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Has anyone homophobic ever changed their mind as a result of a Pride event? I very much doubt it.

What do you base this doubt on? That people who had homophobic thoughts and considerations are incapable of changing their minds?

Let's look at one person. Tim Loughton is MP for East Worthing & Shoreham, and a consistent voter in Parliament against equal legal, financial and marital rights for LGBT people, and yet was pictured with rainbow make-up and flags at the inaugural Worthing Pride last month. Now I'm not saying he's had a Damascene moment which he is reluctant to talk about, but the fact he was there for his shallow photo-op offers some insight as to what Pride can achieve.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Vaguely ashamed to be straight after reading that. I'd just like to assure our LGBT+ friends that not all us heterosexuals are vile, antediluvian tossers.

Should never be ashamed of what you are surely that's the basis for Pride, secondly never be ashamed for someone else's actions.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sincerely yours, John Ball, Men of Bridlington."

A rather butch sounding group led by a chap named Ball. Is this some very dark League-of-Gentlemen type spoof?

It's a reference to the Peasants Revolt, one of the leaders was John Ball. Bet the other members are Jack Straw and Wat Tyler - they must think they're so clever.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has anyone homophobic ever changed their mind as a result of a Pride event? I very much doubt it.

I am not homophobic but via the wife’s past involvement with Pride I have certainly become more aware of issues and struggles with the LGBT community. So my mind has been changed in this sense.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a reference to the Peasants Revolt, one of the leaders was John Ball. Bet the other members are Jack Straw and Wat Tyler - they must think they're so clever.

I see. Thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here