Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For those outside Southern Counties coverage...

david

Feb 5, 2004
London
According to a report on Radio 4 (Feedback, Sunday), all local radio will be put online by the end of the month.
Not the most exciting news I know, but for those of us outside of Sussex, that means no more relying on BBC's useful but very, very boring text commentaries for the midweekers.
The downside for the club I suspect will be a big drop in subscribers to Seagulls World. I bought it last year primarily for the commentary, and although pretty good with it's bulletins, I doubt people will be happy forking out that much money when one of it's biggest assets is now being offered for free.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
david said:
According to a report on Radio 4 (Feedback, Sunday), all local radio will be put online by the end of the month.
Not the most exciting news I know, but for those of us outside of Sussex, that means no more relying on BBC's useful but very, very boring text commentaries for the midweekers.
The downside for the club I suspect will be a big drop in subscribers to Seagulls World. I bought it last year primarily for the commentary, and although pretty good with it's bulletins, I doubt people will be happy forking out that much money when one of it's biggest assets is now being offered for free.

I suspect the games won't be broadcast. Just as games often weren't on Radio 5.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
They do the build up but not the commentary.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Lord Bracknell said:
Does this mean the Southern Counties Radio that is spewed out of their main studio in Guildford, or the Brighton/Sussex opt-out programme that follows the Albion?

The Guildford one when I tried it.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
SCR Guilford is already online, but its using RealMedia as the BBC's opensource codecs aren't ready yet. In fact they haven't started a sound one yet..

So its useful for Windows XP users and nobody else.

Jameson

I tried to listed to the Derby away game on line and got some SCR dross un-connected to football. Tried Radio Derby and Nottingham neither of which were available for "technical" reasons. Resorted to teletext. It was either that or sit in the car and listed to the radio on my own in the dark all night!

david

Feb 5, 2004
London
That's ridiculous. Just about the only thing that people outside (and frankly inside) the county might want to tune into for, and they don't play it.

I know the BBC does not charge Premium TV - the company running Seagulls World and most other official clubs' sites - for it's radio coverage of games. This is on the basis that it cannot take money twice from UK taxpayers (first with the licence fee, and again from online subscriptions to Seagulls World etc).

So if the lack of live commentary on the BBC's sites is somehow related to an agreement with Premium TV, I'd be mightily cheesed off, as we're being denied a service we've already payed for with the license.

sleepynick

Sep 1, 2004
Saigon, Vietnam
I tried to listen to last saturday's game through the SCR site (because the feed through seagulls world had not started by kick off - again!!!!!!) and got coverage of the crawley game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here