Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] For those of you that arrived at The AMEX on a bicycle, yesterday...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
... how was it for you?

I've only seen comments from myself (obvs) and [MENTION=37369]heavysoul[/MENTION], both positive, yet there was a poop tonne of bikes.

I'm curious to know cycling strategies, time, parking etc.

Do you think the club could do more to encourage cycling esp at times when the transport infrastructure is stressed?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
There is nowhere near enough capacity to safely lock your bike at The Amex.

I emailed Paul Barber about this once, and he said that nothing could be done about this:

"Extra bike parking is a challenge for us. The outer external concourses are subject to strict (legal) conditions regarding the movement of people, vehicles and emergency access.

It’s one of the reasons why we are constantly asked for more outdoor seating areas but can’t actually deliver them. It’s quite frustrating but obviously we must comply with safety rules.

Beyond the stadium footprint is land we don’t actually own or control so can’t add or impose more bike parking. I do appreciate the issue but I’m afraid we don’t have easy solutions."

I think this is a real shame, as it makes it all a bit of a ball-ache. I have my own secret parking place now...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

As you've seen I don't need it.

I can arrive at 17:00 and still get pole position, the other bikes see mine and make room.

Somewhat akin to The Fonz walking into Al's Diner.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
What does one do with one's helmet?

Mr Nickbrighton and I have been cycling for the last 3 years, we started off using the cycle racks, but now we also have a spot outside the stadium boundry.That is becoming more and more used for bikes every match though.

Helmets generally have air vents all over them, we simply use these and pass the lock wires through them to chain the helmet to the bike

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I emailed Paul Barber about this once, and he said that nothing could be done about this:

"Extra bike parking is a challenge for us. The outer external concourses are subject to strict (legal) conditions regarding the movement of people, vehicles and emergency access.

It’s one of the reasons why we are constantly asked for more outdoor seating areas but can’t actually deliver them. It’s quite frustrating but obviously we must comply with safety rules.

Beyond the stadium footprint is land we don’t actually own or control so can’t add or impose more bike parking. I do appreciate the issue but I’m afraid we don’t have easy solutions."

I think this is a real shame, as it makes it all a bit of a ball-ache. I have my own secret parking place now...

Maybe the club could work out a deal with the Uni? Club pays to have extra bike racks installed over there (presumably wouldn't cost a fortune), maybe gets priority use on match days which would be mainly quieter times for student usage anyways. On the face of it, everybody wins!

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I ended up leaving home (Shoreham Beach) earlier than planned as I was just twiddling my thumbs at home and the sun was shining!

Got to the main covered bike area bit before 3pm. I then had a wander around the Falmer Campus to see if there were other options for a faster getaway after the game as it is very slow once you've sorted locks and got yourself ready to ride as you have to walk with your bike through the crowd until you've passed under the bridge at the Bridge car park.

I did find a couple of areas including at the sports centre - although not sure they'd be happy with footy fans parking there bikes and walking off!!

Screenshot 2022-10-09 at 10.09.37.jpg

I'm still new to cycling to games - yesterday was my second time. I've been taking a rucksack (which I can't take into the ground as it's too big) ... so I had my helmet, lights and jacket in it and 'secured' it to my bike with a cable lock. I've got two bike locks which are very secure but are big and heavy - hence the rucksack. Think I need to get a D lock as they are smaller and easier to carry on the bike.

Would appreciate any tips or suggestions to help speed things up if possible. And I'm not sure I'll want to get to games as early once we get into full on winter!

Having said that, I bombed down Lewes Road once I got going and then along the seafront to Shoreham - and home quicker than if I'd taken my old Seagulls Travel method of transport!!

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2011

There is plenty of room in the coach park, near where the motorbikes park. Alternatively, remove ten car parking spots which would provide enough room for 50 bikes. His real response should have been it's not enough of a concern for them to think of a solution.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I ended up leaving home (Shoreham Beach) earlier than planned as I was just twiddling my thumbs at home and the sun was shining!

Got to the main covered bike area bit before 3pm. I then had a wander around the Falmer Campus to see if there were other options for a faster getaway after the game as it is very slow once you've sorted locks and got yourself ready to ride as you have to walk with your bike through the crowd until you've passed under the bridge at the Bridge car park.

I did find a couple of areas including at the sports centre - although not sure they'd be happy with footy fans parking there bikes and walking off!!

View attachment 152630

I'm still new to cycling to games - yesterday was my second time. I've been taking a rucksack (which I can't take into the ground as it's too big) ... so I had my helmet, lights and jacket in it and 'secured' it to my bike with a cable lock. I've got two bike locks which are very secure but are big and heavy - hence the rucksack. Think I need to get a D lock as they are smaller and easier to carry on the bike.

Would appreciate any tips or suggestions to help speed things up if possible. And I'm not sure I'll want to get to games as early once we get into full on winter!

Having said that, I bombed down Lewes Road once I going and then along the seafront to Shoreham - and home quicker than if I'd taken my old Seagulls Travel method of transport!!

If the weathers still good I may do this for the Chealski game, although it will be dark for the return leg. . . . Which takes the edge off.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
There is plenty of room in the coach park, near where the motorbikes park. Alternatively, remove ten car parking spots which would provide enough room for 50 bikes. His real response should have been it's not enough of a concern for them to think of a solution.

Whereabout is that on here?

Screenshot 2022-10-09 at 10.26.52.png

And what route from there do you use to leave after games?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

View attachment 152630

Having said that, I bombed down Lewes Road once I got going and then along the seafront to Shoreham - and home quicker than if I'd taken my old Seagulls Travel method of transport!!

For football I just have a long cable and padlock.
Plus a (£10 from Amazon) zip lock, which is probably overkill but it stays on the bike as it's idea for coffee stops - I loop lights etc through that before looping it through the bike and other cable, as said overkill, but silly not to use it.

Bike locks need to be a faff for the thief.
1 superdooper lock costing £60 isn't anywhere near as effective as 3 different locks that cost £20 each.

I too am looking for another way out of the stadium, onto the Lewes Rd cyclepath, heading into Brighton where I park up.

It's all good walking down to The Bridge Tunnel but could be better.
I guess the dream is a narrow segregated path, but for a bazillion reasons I can think of, that ain't happening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here