Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For the 1st time since Gus has been here........

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
How nice to read a serious well considered debate on NSC for once rather than an ill-informed slagging match. For what it's worth, I thought it was pretty even in the first half and as a previous poster has said, if we'd scored one or two we might have been able to put it to bed. But in the second half they were different class and if they are getting good young players in from Udinese then it's no surprise that they are doing well.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Rubbish. Murray was exactly what we missed last season and Im convinced we would have made the play offs with him here. This season we would be top with him playing the lone striker role.

If anything Glenns slow start last season was because he would probably have rather stayed with us but Poyet didnt want to shell out to keep him and it took Palace time to play to his strengths.

Good post.

I looked at CP forums last season, and even during their long barren runs, he vast majority if their fans were impressed by Murray but were highly critical of the service he was given and tactics to supply him.

He was a class act for us, and is for them now.

Obviously he is history for us, but an awful lot of revisionists like to slate his undoubted abilities as a class forward.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Break down of their line up from todays match

01 Almunia - Former Arsenal Goalkeeper
06 Hall (Neuton - 42'(on loan from Udinese))
18 Pudil (on loan from Granada)
31 Hoban
39 Chalobah (on loan from Chelsea)
40 Ekstrand (on loan from Udinese)
08 Hogg
21 Anya (on loan from Granada) (Mujangi Bia - 73' Booked (on loan from Standard Liege) )
22 Abdi Booked (on loan from Udinese) (Battocchio - 80' (on loan from Udinese) )
09 Deeney
20 Vydra (on loan from Udinese)

Only 4 of the players that appeared for them today are actually permanent signings at Watford

Please can we see your micro analysis of the Millwall and CP teams built on peanuts with crowds (income) half the size of the Albion's?

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Please can we see your micro analysis of the Millwall and CP teams built on peanuts with crowds (income) half the size of the Albion's?

I can't wait for the excuses as to why Gus's highly paid squad have been out scored and had far fewer wins, than those 2 clubs run on a low budget!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I wish he would stop looking at bringing in mediocre Spanish players and focus on players in the division with genuine promise who would regard the setup here as a genuine step up - not a meal ticket or pension.

Buckley a great example of this.

And Bruno is a good example of a mediocre Spanish player ... started offthe season brilliantly although yesterday he was awful.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can't wait for the excuses as to why Gus's highly paid squad have been out scored and had far fewer wins, than those 2 clubs run on a low budget!

Where is your proof that they are run on a low budget? We already know that Murray is getting 75% higher wages at Palace, they lost 5 million last season and have a habit of writing off their debts in administration every decade.

Jun 18, 2011
tunbridge wells
Beginning to feel like going to the game is a chore rather than a pleasure. It's like having an up and coming potential Michelin starred chef opening a restaurant, you go expecting an exquisite meal and get served shit on toast with a side order of shit.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Its no good fans holding their breath for this ' magical ' signing in January. It ain't gonna change anything. Not when you have a manager running on empty, bereft of ideas and making mistake after mistake.
The wrong starting line-up v Millwall. The wrong starting line-up yesterday. You cannot start with Lopez and Orlandi together. They are too lightweight. One or the other but not both. Crofts struggling painfully in midfield, can't hit a barn-door from three paces, leaning back like a schoolboy when presented with a great early chance. Hasn't scored for over two years. Can't impose himself on games, despite Premiership experience.
Gus is not good enough at this level. He is regularly out-thought by other managers. He is too cautious by nature, too slow to react during games. No plan B. He is managing a stronger squad of players this season but we are going backwards.
He is not learning as a manager and therefore we are not progressing. This appears to be the limit of his ability. He is not going to cut it at a higher level.
The fans deserve better and they are getting short-changed.
Good players don't always make good managers. Gus has done a decent job but has now been found out. He is only too quick in the post-match interviews to say that he fully expected how the opposition were going to play and prepared his players accordingly. But the players didn't carry out his plans and he will have to look at what happened and make changes.
I have heard this so many times now, I am bored with it. The man is not taking enough responsibility for his own shortcomings. He has regularly let his team down this season, with tactical naiviety and too much caution.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Its no good fans holding their breath for this ' magical ' signing in January. It ain't gonna change anything. Not when you have a manager running on empty, bereft of ideas and making mistake after mistake.
The wrong starting line-up v Millwall. The wrong starting line-up yesterday. You cannot start with Lopez and Orlandi together. They are too lightweight. One or the other but not both. Crofts struggling painfully in midfield, can't hit a barn-door from three paces, leaning back like a schoolboy when presented with a great early chance. Hasn't scored for over two years. Can't impose himself on games, despite Premiership experience.
Gus is not good enough at this level. He is regularly out-thought by other managers. He is too cautious by nature, too slow to react during games. No plan B. He is managing a stronger squad of players this season but we are going backwards.
He is not learning as a manager and therefore we are not progressing. This appears to be the limit of his ability. He is not going to cut it at a higher level.
Good players don't always make good managers. Gus has done a decent job but has now been found out. He is only too quick in the post-match interviews to say that he fully expected how the opposition were going to play and prepared his players accordingly. But the players didn't carry out his plans and he will have to look at what happened and make changes.
I have heard this so many times now, I am bored with it. The man is not taking enough responsibility for his own shortcomings. He has regularly let his team down this season, with tactical naiviety and too much caution.

Spot on

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
It will help when we have proper training facilities rather than a waterlogged, rabbit holed university playing field. When the academy is built, we can then start producing our own youngsters.

Correct.
The previous poster that said about Palace and how they trawl South London for talent, should take a look at the catchment area that our academy lads are coming from. Take a look at the training of them now, and take a look at the academy teams results against Prem academy teams.
The new training facilities will be a plus.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Break down of their line up from todays match

01 Almunia - Former Arsenal Goalkeeper
06 Hall (Neuton - 42'(on loan from Udinese))
18 Pudil (on loan from Granada)
31 Hoban
39 Chalobah (on loan from Chelsea)
40 Ekstrand (on loan from Udinese)
08 Hogg
21 Anya (on loan from Granada) (Mujangi Bia - 73' Booked (on loan from Standard Liege) )
22 Abdi Booked (on loan from Udinese) (Battocchio - 80' (on loan from Udinese) )
09 Deeney
20 Vydra (on loan from Udinese)

Only 4 of the players that appeared for them today are actually permanent signings at Watford

But as another post points out a team can only have 5 loan players on the team sheet , how did they mange 7 , i did not buy a programme yesterday so cannot check

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We were beaten fair and square by a better team today. Normally I can live with that. Beaten by West Ham at Upton Park by 6? Fine. Spanked by Liverpool at Anfield? OK. Even beaten by The Scum at Selhurst.

I blame Sky - all those games you mention were on the tellybox :annoyed:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It will help when we have proper training facilities rather than a waterlogged, rabbit holed university playing field. When the academy is built, we can then start producing our own youngsters.

Agreed, but that will take several years.
What do we do until then?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Making changes is, in my opinion, part of the problem. OK players get injured or suspended but our front 5 seem to change every match. The team needs to be settled and Gus ought to know his best 11. I know it's a squad game etc but surely it's worth giving Hoskins a run in the side for more than 1 match and a cameo sub role. He must be sort of hoping we concede 2 goals as that is the only sure way he gets on the pitch!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

I'd like to be able to disagree with post this but I can't, however I can add that Gus's lack of belief in home grown players and that all things Spanish/Latin American are better than British could be his downfall. Misjudgements on Vicente's fitness/desire to play for Brighton, his obsession with signing CMS whilst letting Murray leave and not strengthening the team in key places after promotion (eg centre half) has left us struggling. Opponents have sussed us in allowing El Abd to keep the ball until he panics, putting Greer under pressure, attacking Bruno who's not the world's best defernder, letting CMS chase lost causes into the corner, and absorbing pressure for the first half hour. Things will have to change otherwise we'll be lucky to finish outside the bottom 6.

it would appear that Gus has had a pretty free reign at Brighton and it won't be long before he needs to stand up and be counted, rather than complain about other team's bigger budgets.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Palace have got a fantastic youth policy which effectively trawls South London for talent. Until Albion have a similar catchment area you aren't going to find a Zaha, Victor Moses, Wayne Routledge etc in your team. I think El Abd has done reall well, you all slagged him off to begin with. El Bad, remember?

I think you've got a point there. The damage done by previous regimes in not having a proper youth policy will take a long time to rectify. Goodness, Palace have a branch of their academy at East Grinstead Hockey Club. There you are, Palace taking Sussex youngsters from our own doorstep, though it goes back some time - Simon Rodger was from Shoreham, and doesn't Jon Williams have a Sussex connection? As far as I can tell, until recently we have only scouted Brighton and Hove and the immediate area for youngsters? How many of our youth teams have come from East Grinstead, Crowborough, Crawley, Horsham, etc? The same went with drumming up new support as well. Clapham Gull and his brother tried for years to get the club to market itself in East Sussex, in the Burwash, Heathfield, etc area. It wasn't until the much-maligned Richard Hebberd took up their case that they were met with anything but apathy.

Last edited:

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX

Right on the nail, Poyet's tactics have been found out at home and the Millwall game really showed it.For the 1st 20 mins we had a change of tactics to 442 but it was obvious that the players can't play this because of the lack of pace in the squad and as soon as Millwall saw what was happening they changed and took control, we were lucky to get away with a draw. Watford took about the same time yesterday to suss us out and at half time I bet Zola said, sit back , let Brighton attack then hit them on the break. The sub of their r/b when he was getting tired was one of the tactics which killed the game for us as it took LL out of the game and is an example of how other managers are out-thinking Poyet who doesn't react quickly or has no plan B.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
But as another post points out a team can only have 5 loan players on the team sheet , how did they mange 7 , i did not buy a programme yesterday so cannot check

Only 5 players on loan from that country, there are no limits on the numbers playing on loan from other countries though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here