Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] For sale, Crystal Palace FC, asking price £210m, worth £700m within 5 years...a steal?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Excuse me [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] but do you know how many clubs are up for sale in the leagues? I am only aware of Newcastle and this lot. It seems to me that being up for sale is not ideal because of the uncertainty and limited investment that brings. Mike Ashley answers to nobody does he, so can make decisions and as when required? He can wait to sell when he is ready, but Beaky doesn't have that call does he? I guess it depends whether the Americans want to maximise their profit, make an profit or minimise their losses as the case might be. Trying to be as neutral as possible, Newcastle would be your first serious assessment of which one to buy.

Nearly all owners in the Championship and below are open to offers is my understanding unless they are owned by rich fans. In the Premier League perhaps a few less, but if the price is right most owners will consider offers.

Derby, Charlton and Leeds are definitely being hawked around.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Nearly all owners in the Championship and below are open to offers is my understanding unless they are owned by rich fans. In the Premier League perhaps a few less, but if the price is right most owners will consider offers.

Derby, Charlton and Leeds are definitely being hawked around.

Thanks for that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I used a tweaked version of the MMM model to generate the values. It's a start point and based on the 2017/18 accounts and the drivers therein.
Ultimately company value (and [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] is the guv'nor on this) is equal parts science, art and bullshit, so the MMM is a start point for a negotiation, not an end in itself.
Thank you. So, if I'm understanding correctly, you're saying the figure given was just a starting point, rather than a proper valuation?

I can understand that, but I'm not sure how useful it is when presented, as it seems quite a long way off a realistic valuation.

Perhaps the main issue with using these methods for football clubs is that one year's results are not as good an indication of future results as they would be in other industries. Usually, if a company is increasing revenue, keeping costs under control, and increasing profits, you can expect that the following year will see good profits too. Conversely, a club like Burnley making good money via the sale of it's best players, is likely to see performances and therefore profits, reduce in future years. Sure you'd be able to rely on it more if there was a long established cycle of producing good players from an academy, but that's not what's happened here, and all clubs get the odd decent player to make a profit.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Well. I suppose what with the senile old woman 'coincidentally' :)lol:) talking about big signings in January to keep the top 6 push going, wavering potential investors must have been been whipped into a frenzy and pushing each other out of the way to win the purchase. Awesome news must be really close now.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've just looked through the whole thread to find the answer to the glaringly obvious question, i.e. why is Tottenham's average wage bill so disparate from the rest of the Big Six?
It wasn't asked.

Maybe I'm being too simplistic, but isn't the answer simply the iron financial grip of Daniel Levy? Daniel Levy is quite notorious at driving hard bargains, isn't it simply that he does that in wages as well as transfer fees? We've seen them not make any signings over the summer in 2018, and the signings they made in summer 2019 didn't feel particularly big to me, that is, not the sort that demand the high wages we see thrown around at the other five.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Blimey. Those pillocks better watch out. Extending the contract of the sooner-or-later world payer of the year goal machine is going to see nobody being rich enough to buy the club.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The £3b asking price for Chelsea is a fair bit over your valuation.

The £3bn asking price is above everyone's valuation that I have spoken to this week too!

If they get that price for the club it will make Locadia and Jahanbaksh look like bargains.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The £3bn asking price is above everyone's valuation that I have spoken to this week too!

If they get that price for the club it will make Locadia and Jahanbaksh look like bargains.

Maybe that's how much he needs to pay everyone back; Putin etc

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Wonder if they'd get £238m for Stoke now?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The £3b asking price for Chelsea is a fair bit over your valuation.

So they sold for £4.25b. Maybe time to throw that MMM formula away?

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I understood FSG turned down £4b last year for LFC? I’m sure you know you numbers but those for the top 6 clubs look reasonable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I understood FSG turned down £4b last year for LFC? I’m sure you know you numbers but those for the top 6 clubs look reasonable.
How does £1.6b for Liverpool and Chelsea look reasonable when LFC turned down £4b and Chelsea was sold for over £4b?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They weren’t sold for £4.25bn, they were sold for £2.5bn plus a commitment to spend £1.75bn on players and infrastructure over the next decade.
Oh, that's quite a different thing indeed, and not at all what the papers said. Any idea why Abramovic would care how much they spend over the next decade? And who are they answerable to if they don't?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Oh, that's quite a different thing indeed, and not at all what the papers said. Any idea why Abramovic would care how much they spend over the next decade? And who are they answerable to if they don't?

Love of “his” club?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here