Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] For Sale Channel 4.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thats just the good bits of the last few years, most of the damage was done in the 80's.

asset stripping now is small beer compared to flogging off our utilities, land and property.

Rebalancing.

The working class need to be constantly on the breadline or they won't be cheap labour.

No good independent voices suggesting otherwise.

Nadine Dorries, though ???

Taking the piss, now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Odd or maybe not ? A little around a month or two after Jon Snow retired. Read into want you want.

Jon Snow was a journalist.

What am I missing? ???

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I wonder whether this Gov also see further down the road that it will be easier to privatise the BBC if it's the only broadcaster in public ownership?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s advantageous for a government of liars to take over a trusted platform and start disseminating their lies and propaganda through it. A lot of people will not know what the change from public to private entity means and think “it’s channel four, must be trustworthy”
Standard totalitarian game play.
The Murdochs did it with National Geographic very successfully.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I wonder whether this Gov also see further down the road that it will be easier to privatise the BBC if it's the only broadcaster in public ownership?

They'd also have to consider the highly profitable UKTV network (Dave etc..) which is now 100% publicly owned.

The television industry is very odd in many ways and does a very bad job of explaining how it operates. Unfortunately it is being dicked around with by people in power who appear very badly briefed how it operates as well.

If the BBC was forced into advertising (for instance) the other commercial channels would be up in arms because there is only so much advertising revenue to go round.

However the BBC has vast commercial operations (which subsidise the licence fee) that are much encouraged by the Government and it's just had it's borrowing limit increased. This in turn winds up purely commercial operators who think the public service side has too close a relationship with its commercial side.

The current status quo isn't perfect, but it sort of works. The alternative is for the television industry to be dominated by mainly American players and just like fast food if you drive your industry simply on viewing figures the profits might increase but the quality will go downhill.

Having Channel Four (and the BBC) doing edgy experimental stuff every now and then keeps everyone else on their toes.

There is a very good reason why Netflix, Sky, Amazon etc.. aren't calling for things to change.

Last edited:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Privatisation in this specific case will definitely lead to LESS competition in the production industry.

C4 is just a publisher, but it's the way it publishes that is unique.

Splitting hairs here, I totally agree with the sentiment, however... If Channel 4 is sold, yet still shows programmes is the market less competitive? Independent producers have always had to compete against Hollywood studios, repeats and imported programmes.
I would say that the impact is that the market is less innovative, which does then make it much harder for independent producers to flourish.

For me one of the stand out stars for Channel 4 in recent years is Grayson Perry. His art show is a real joy and his laughter and positivity are infectious. I can't imagine Netflix or Amazon Prime were falling over themselves to make this, but at the same time no channel 4 Grayson Perry and his other half go back to focussing on their artistic endeavours.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
We (Britain) are being asset-stripped.

Just recently 60% of the National Grid was sold off to Australia. Leave Channel 4 alone. It isn't even in competition with Netflix or Britbox.

Watch this interview by Krishnan Gurr Murthy with Nadine Dorries and ask yourself why this government wants to sell Ch4.

https://www.channel4.com/news/the-prime-minister-tells-the-truth-says-nadine-dorries

Really....?? i find that hard to believe seeing as we are selling just about everything that anyone is interested in....do you have any info please...??

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It’s bizarre that we have a culture secretary who knows so little about the media and who refuses to even appear on the BBC.

This is just a precursor to the sale of the BBC and to a media landscape when the money are free to push their political agenda unopposed by any independent neutral voices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s bizarre that we have a culture secretary who knows so little about the media and who refuses to even appear on the BBC.

This is just a precursor to the sale of the BBC and to a media landscape when the money are free to push their political agenda unopposed by any independent neutral voices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is more culture in a yoghurt than between Dorries' ears.

Which half the reason why she has her job.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And here's the other half of the reason :facepalm:

Wow. She's a real piece of work.

Minister for selling off the BBC.

And people wonder why I put people on ignore. You'd need to be a monumental melt to applaud such cockwomblery. And there are such people! And they are allowed to vote :facepalm:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s “losing” not “loosing”. Seems like you could do with a gander at some of the channels’ educational output.

Not a personal dig at you but there does seem to be a correlation between people who misspell common words and those who advocate the defunding of the BBC, privatisation of CH4 etc

“Doesn’t bear think about”

Indeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here