Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For people who dont rate Brez please comment

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Gonzalez has to be at least the equal of Ankergren and Brezovan.

In a nutshell we have League One keepers in a team trying to challenge for a play off spot.

Gus will get that sorted in the summer.

edit: Reasons why? Well he can't catch balls under pressure, and when he punches it barely leaves the 6 yard box putting the defence under pressure, and it wasn't just yesterday either!

But challenging for a play off spot was never our goal this year..

Brez is an OK goalkeeper for mid table championship football but next year when we do want to be pushing for it we will need him to improve hugely or replace him.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The weird thing is that when he came back into the team, he initially looked fine - catching crosses that were previously punched; holding shots that were often spilt; making a few good saves; good passing and communication with the defence; generally looking sound.

Past three games - all reverted to panicking, not unlike last season.

Strange.

Not sure I agree. Sexy Pete was brought in against the Stains, spilt a shot to Lallana, and we were very lucky that Lallana's subsequent effort was not given even though it crossed the line. At Wrexham Morrell scored in the top corner, but Pete for some odd reason dropped on one knee.

Both Casper and Pete are good shot stoppers, but poor on crosses. Neither of them command the box in the way that Reina did yesterday, and the less said about the air kick, vertical punching and failure to collect a 70:30 ball against Gerrard yesterday the better.

As Questions said, keep the pair until end of season but neither are good enough to be first choice if we want a serious promotion charge next season. We may sneak into the playoffs this year, but it will be in spite of rather than because of the keepers.

Mackerboy

Sep 20, 2011
Look Casper is a mess and he had plenty of matches to sort it out. Brez has come in after being very patent and on the hole done really well. Keepers make mistakes and one or two is not the end of the world. Liverpool is a daunting place to go and the biggest game of his career !! You can't expect him to never make a mistake. Dropping him now would send the wrong message to everyone at club and would shatter his confidence. Now is the time for gus and the fans to back him to the hilt. Granted if he has two or three games with more mistakes then fine give Gonzalez and Casper another go but give brez a fair chance.

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011
Look Casper is a mess and he had plenty of matches to sort it out. Brez has come in after being very patent and on the hole done really well. Keepers make mistakes and one or two is not the end of the world. Liverpool is a daunting place to go and the biggest game of his career !! You can't expect him to never make a mistake. Dropping him now would send the wrong message to everyone at club and would shatter his confidence. Now is the time for gus and the fans to back him to the hilt. Granted if he has two or three games with more mistakes then fine give Gonzalez and Casper another go but give brez a fair chance.

People can accept one mistake, he has been making mistakes but getting away with it but coming up against a team like Liverpool you won't get away with it. Brez has been backed by most hoping they were wrong but i think everyone has been waiting and expecting a game like Sunday's.....hand's up anybody that was surprised by Brez's mistakes!!!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I cannot remember the last keeper we had who dominated in the air. Even with Kuipers and Roberts you`d be hard pushed to say that was their strong point.

I can...Beasant, he was different gravy, even at 40.....Roberts is by far the best we have had in recent years, who we could call our own.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Also it will be obivous to other clubs we play that we have a goalkeeper who can't deal with crosses, it's again an accident waiting to happen, our FB's are going to have to work really hard at stopping the crosses coming in.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Also it will be obivous to other clubs we play that we have a goalkeeper who can't deal with crosses, it's again an accident waiting to happen, our FB's are going to have to work really hard at stopping the crosses coming in.

but they didn't instead going to ground giving Downing a free cross to an unmarked Suarez

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
All three keepers we have at the club are total dog shit, need a decent one if we ever want to get promoted that's for sure

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Though Brez is an improvement over the previous No 1 despite his size he did not command his area,his shortcomings have been noted by the TV coverage of the match and managers/coaches will concentrate on his weak points.
Lets use the rest of the season to discover whether any of our goalkeepers will be retained next year.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Goalkeeping has changed dramatically mainly because the balls move about so much and keepers are instructed to punch/parry/palm, rather than catch. For me a good goalkeeper should go with the intention to catch first and punch if coming through bodies. There is no doubt Brez was at fault yesterday and also against Millwall along with Navs.

For me he is not good enough, due to the punch first mentality and the fact he has little or no presence in the box and does not instill any confidence in the defence. Despite all of this he currently remains the best option we have (I'm yet to see Gonzales).

Would like to see some new blood in the Summer.

DavePage

In all honesty, I thought Downing was their best player and on that form any defense would have struggled, as to the goalkeeping stats say that his performances have been good. With the stats however, you should take into account the performance of the defense as a whole.
Yesterday his performance was poor, his decision making with regards to punching was abysmal, his positioning likewise. Therefore not giving the defense the confidence they need in the last line to perform to their abilities. The art of catching the ball form a cross, would have minimized the amount of players that we needed on the line (in panic mode).
You guys have the advantage of seeing him & Casper every week, so if I am being harsh please forgive me.
Truth is he is a great shot stopper, but when it comes to a lob or cross?
Gonzales is here for a reason, Man City must have seen something in him? It’s a difficult one, do we wait until we can’t make the play-offs to play him or risk playing him for everyone to knock the decision if it fails. No win really, unless he is he guy to command the defense and get us to the play-offs, assuming that is still on our agenda this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here