Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For people who dont rate Brez please comment

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A keeper can catch or he can punch. It is about decision making firstly and Brez has failed on that one and then if you do punch - get some distance on it. Failed again there . I`m sure Godden knows all that anyway so what more can he do BG ?They are just very ordinary keepers. Bring back John Keeley I say. :)He`d still be here now if Dick Tight had given him a decent wage.

I think that ypou have answered your own question on what Brezovan failed on. TG has got to teach them the right time to catch and the right to punch and how to punch and gain distance when they have to punch. Perhaps that may mean lost of hours with videos highlighting various keeper and games.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I think that ypou have answered your own question on what Brezovan failed on. TG has got to teach them the right time to catch and the right to punch and how to punch and gain distance when they have to punch. Perhaps that may mean lost of hours with videos highlighting various keeper and games.

I agree with all of that, but it isn't quite that simple!

I was a goalkeeper and I knew what the right things to do were, and how, and when ... but did I do them? No, because I simply didn't have the ability or the consistency.

Our 'keepers are at the level they are because they have a limit to their natural ability to do the right thing all the time. Coaching can only take them so far.

In my view, not having seen Gonzales, we don't have keeper who is consistently good enough for the upper reaches of the Championship. It's not a criticism, it's a fact.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Brez has been doing well. He was very good against Newcastle and he did well against Wrexham saving the penalty in the shoot out. He did not look good yesterday but nobody in that defence did. He was given very little protection.

The nature of today's football with its movement makes it far more difficult to catch and goalkeepers do not routinely come and claim balls.

Of course Brez has weaknesses but the above figures suggest he is not costing us results For what we are likely to be paying him and in view of where we are, that must be great.

Who is around, available, who we can afford and better ? How about that Palace guy Speroni ? How much would he cost and perhaps more importantly what are his weekly wages ? As much as our three combined or maybe more ?

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011
I think the Defence has had a massive part to play in those clean sheets, i think El Abd has made a massive difference since coming back, gives us a bit of aggression at the back, he doesn't take any crap from any striker.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I think the Defence has had a massive part to play in those clean sheets, i think El Abd has made a massive difference since coming back, gives us a bit of aggression at the back, he doesn't take any crap from any striker.
Exactly, he probably made the major contribution against S'pton mixing it with Lambert. Carroll though knew better and it showed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brian Clough always said that a goalkeeper could gain or cost you 20 points a season when he bought Shilton. Would it be worth asking Arsenal about Almunia but it adds to the loans and may not be practical.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The weird thing is that when he came back into the team, he initially looked fine - catching crosses that were previously punched; holding shots that were often spilt; making a few good saves; good passing and communication with the defence; generally looking sound.

Past three games - all reverted to panicking, not unlike last season.

Strange.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Goalkeepers are a Funny Bunch

He is the best we have got. The opposing keepers have not been so good this season. Even Reina mucked up the wall for the free kick. Do you want the Millwall keeper? Or Lonergen after the corner in which Macca scored?

I though Brz was good with the first penalty against Wrexham, but not with the others.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Brez and Casper are mid table decent Championship keepers. Therefore, they are good enough this season. If and when we seriously push for promotion we may have to look at bringing in a better keeper.

Who ? Possibly that Barnsley keeper ? (but they look like staying up, and Leeds are still looking for a keeper?)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
He is the best we have got. The opposing keepers have not been so good this season. Even Reina mucked up the wall for the free kick. Do you want the Millwall keeper? Or Lonergen after the corner in which Macca scored?
This is an interesting observation. I haven't any evidence beyond anecdote but I think it likely that goalkeeping has become a lot harder in recent times due to the nature of the modern ball and the development of attacking technique. The days are long gone when crosses used to be "drilled", or even worse "floated", into the box... in those days the average County League goalkeeper was expected to come and catch most of them and the best crosses had to be "kept away from the keeper"... nowadays, the ball is whipped in with pace, dip and swerve on it - completely different tin of tuna and causes most keepers all sorts of problems when done well... the modern response by keepers seems to be quite reasonably to punch everything...

I have been guilty myself of failing to recalibrate my expectations of goalkeepers and regarding first Ankers and now Brez as "flappers"... the reality is that they are OK - probably not good enough for top of Championship, but that applies to a few of our players and is perfectly acceptable at the moment...

Brez had a baddish day at the office because he did not connect well with a couple of important punches and generally looked a bit vulnerable as a result. Nothing worse than that and he has my full support.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Brez is good keeper 95% of the time, he has shown that over the last series of games, but like David James, Grobbelaar, Alumnia etc he is always an accident waiting to happen.

we all know that what happened yesterday is possible at any time. luckily in the FA cup is doesn't matter if you lose by 1 or 10 you're still out. in the league it does matter

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I think both Brez and Casper are good keepers to a point, that point being against lesser oppostion (Lge 1). Brez has shown he can command his area in games such as Wrexham but he doesn't seem to have the mentality for a bigger occasion. Casper worries me as I don't even think you can call him a good shot stopper in the Championship. Never seen Gonzalas play so can't comment on him. Nothing will change in the keepers spot until the end of season but I do think this is an area we need to invest in. Yesterday the defence was poor but, in my opinion, they had no faith in Brez and if he had had a dominating performance I'm sure the defence would have grown in confidence. Saying that when you have Nooney at left back you asking for trouble!!!

A bit of a liability, is our goalkeeping.

One goal I could directly attribute to his propensity to punch EVERY high ball when he could have caught them. Thus the ball stays in play and often he doesn't punch it well enough either - so it remains in the immediate danger area.

When he came off his line to intercept Suarez, he missed the ball totally in his distraction watching the player...who almost got the ball back with an open goal at his disposal.
He also has slow reactions to balls that are going past him. He watched a couple get fortuitously saved on the line by defending players desperately getting back.

Basically, he's a bit flimsy - and the quality of opposition means NOTHING when a keeper is refusing to catch a high ball and only weakly parrying it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think both Brez and Casper are good keepers to a point, that point being against lesser oppostion (Lge 1). Brez has shown he can command his area in games such as Wrexham but he doesn't seem to have the mentality for a bigger occasion. Casper worries me as I don't even think you can call him a good shot stopper in the Championship. Never seen Gonzalas play so can't comment on him. Nothing will change in the keepers spot until the end of season but I do think this is an area we need to invest in. Yesterday the defence was poor but, in my opinion, they had no faith in Brez and if he had had a dominating performance I'm sure the defence would have grown in confidence. Saying that when you have Nooney at left back you asking for trouble!!!

Think you make a good point about Brez and big occasions, three of the worst performances I remember were Villa away, Spurs friendly and yesterday

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
This is an interesting observation. I haven't any evidence beyond anecdote but I think it likely that goalkeeping has become a lot harder in recent times due to the nature of the modern ball and the development of attacking technique. The days are long gone when crosses used to be "drilled", or even worse "floated", into the box... in those days the average County League goalkeeper was expected to come and catch most of them and the best crosses had to be "kept away from the keeper"... nowadays, the ball is whipped in with pace, dip and swerve on it - completely different tin of tuna and causes most keepers all sorts of problems when done well... the modern response by keepers seems to be quite reasonably to punch everything...

I have been guilty myself of failing to recalibrate my expectations of goalkeepers and regarding first Ankers and now Brez as "flappers"... the reality is that they are OK - probably not good enough for top of Championship, but that applies to a few of our players and is perfectly acceptable at the moment...

Brez had a baddish day at the office because he did not connect well with a couple of important punches and generally looked a bit vulnerable as a result. Nothing worse than that and he has my full support.

Fully agree.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
its the same with FDM at the Div 1 level he was awsome and the best shoot stopper around but that next step up he looked shaky on crosses and didnt seem to command his area as he did in the lower levels ,youy need to buy a keeper who can live with the prem type players in the championship buts its going to cost a few bob or take a punt at say Blackman at chelsea

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Brez and Casper are mid table decent Championship keepers. Therefore, they are good enough this season. If and when we seriously push for promotion we may have to look at bringing in a better keeper.

My mate and I were talking about our keepers in comparison to those between the sticks at other Championship clubs on the drive back last night - we both thought that almost all of the other clubs in the division have better first-choice keepers at present (in the cases of Hull and West Ham, their second & third choices too) and probably a fair few League One sides do as well.

Both Casper and Brez have put in great contributions to the cause in the past couple of seasons (lest we forget Casper's well-deserved pair of Player of The Month awards in League One last season), but for the level we are now at and where we are looking to go, it's probably a bit too far for them both and a classier and more composed replacement is almost certainly required for next season.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Slightly off-topic but did anyone see that keeper for Bristol Rovers against Oxford, he looked quality and rightly got man-of-the-match........???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here