For people who dont rate Brez please comment

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Just out of interest can the people who think brez is crap & needs to be dropped asap, please give me your reasons why & who you would replace him with?

EDIT:

It seems to me people are going by last night and Stoke! they are Prem clubs they are meant to be better than us because they shell out millions & millions each year on player!
Please only list valid reasons in championship football terms to reasons why, as I think

5 win
2 draws
0 lost

is very good, along with

3 clean sheets
5 conceded

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Gonzalez has to be at least the equal of Ankergren and Brezovan.

In a nutshell we have League One keepers in a team trying to challenge for a play off spot.

Gus will get that sorted in the summer.

edit: Reasons why? Well he can't catch balls under pressure, and when he punches it barely leaves the 6 yard box putting the defence under pressure, and it wasn't just yesterday either!

D

Deleted User X18H

Over the last six weeks I have been fortunate enough to interview Brez 3 times. He really is a super bloke a real legend.

However yesterday, just like a Stoke last year, there was a weakness in his game. This of course is electing to punch crosses back into play rather than catch them.

Apart from that he saved a penalty and tipped a few over. I think Gus will keep with him. He was only culpable for the first two.....and maybe the fifth, in my book.

He is a good keeper and we have a good GK coach. Move on and keep the undefeated 2012 league team in place for a while yet.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Ankergren got dropped because he kept punching balls he could easily catch causing havoc in our defence and less confidence about the back unit.

Brezovan came in and calmed things down, caught the ball and looked decent. Now in the last two games he is punching balls he could catch and causing havoc in our back 4 with his flapping at crosses. And as for him charging out the box yesterday and completely missing the ball, that was comedyfending GOLD

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Gonzalez has to be at least the equal of Ankergren and Brezovan.

In a nutshell we have League One keepers in a team trying to challenge for a play off spot.

Gus will get that sorted in the summer.

edit: Reasons why? Well he can't catch balls under pressure, and when he punches it barely leaves the 6 yard box putting the defence under pressure, and it wasn't just yesterday either!

So brez form has been really bad since he has got back in the squad?

Was caspers form better?

was casper good at catching balls diving for the ball?

I agree we need a new keeper in the summer but at the moment brez is our best keeper out the 3 or 5 we have

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011
Brez is not crap but just not good enough.

His decision making is pretty poor, his handling is pretty poor, shot stopping good, positional play poor, shaky with the ball at his feet and collapses under pressure.

If the opposition did their homework they would pepper him with crosses and attack him all day long, maybe Liverpool did yesterday.

Not sure what the answer is with our current squad but hopefully Gonzalez is a good keeper, must be worth a try IMO.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
So brez form has been really bad since he has got back in the squad?

Was caspers form better?

was casper good at catching balls diving for the ball?

I agree we need a new keeper in the summer but at the moment brez is our best keeper out the 3 or 5 we have

Your points are valid. That's why I would give Gonzalez a chance. Not saying he's any better but he can't be any worse, can he?

But Gus will probably give Brezovan a reprieve and see how we go from here.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Stay with him to the summer and then it is 'do videnia' Pete.
Next season if we are to mount a challenge for the play offs we cannot have goalkeepers who put us under the sort of pressure that he has in the last 2 games with his inability to catch a ball or even punch it a fair distance. He is a fair shot stopper but you need more. No need to panic though this season. Mid table finish will be fine.

Last edited:

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011
I don't expect Gus to drop him but i wouldn't be surprised if he does either, Gus has done so in the past with Casper when he bought Harps in, he knows there is an issue between the sticks.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brezovan showed yesterday that he is not good enough in most aspects of his game and why he is a Div 1 keeper. I am not sure that Ankergren is any better as his faults are the same as Brezovan which to me suggests that questions should be asked of Tony Godden the goalkeeper coach and the way that he is coaching them and telling them what to do. Haven't seen Rodriguez play so cannot comment but I am sure that a goalkeeper is on Gus's list if not loan this season definitely in the summer.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Your points are valid. That's why I would give Gonzalez a chance. Not saying he's any better but he can't be any worse, can he?

But Gus will probably give Brezovan a reprieve and see how we go from here.

I would give him a good run out in the reserves (gonzalez) before considering him a chance in the 1st team, but his record hasnt been great at the moment.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Brezovan showed yesterday that he is not good enough in most aspects of his game and why he is a Div 1 keeper. I am not sure that Ankergren is any better as his faults are the same as Brezovan which to me suggests that questions should be asked of Tony Godden the goalkeeper coach and the way that he is coaching them and telling them what to do. Haven't seen Rodriguez play so cannot comment but I am sure that a goalkeeper is on Gus's list if not loan this season definitely in the summer.

Godden does not have the final say on which keepers we sign. He works with what he is given BG.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I thought Brez had a bad day at the office against Milwall. He put himself under pressure yesterday by punching balls other keepers would have caught. Other teams will now put him under pressure every game, so for his own sanity (and our goal difference) it might be worth dropping him.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Generally, I like Brez. he's a big, commanding keeper, who usually looks to go up and catch the ball. Decent shot stopper, who spreads himself well at an onrushing player - what happens after that is always a bit down to luck, even if your Peter Schmeichal. the down side is that we have seen 2 very nervy performances from, Brez in his 2 5th Round appearances away to Premiership sides, in front of big crowds. If he has a problem that surfaces on teh big occasions, then that is a problem for the long term.

But, let's keep this in perspective, that is not going to be an issue for the rest of the season. I say, we stick by teh winning formula of 2012, until such time as someone better is available, which is the endgame for everyone, not just Brez.

What we should not do is suddenly convince ourselves that because Gonzalez "has to be better" on the basis of ...... he's never had a bad game for us? Honestly, I really don't know what that comment is based on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Godden does not have the final say on which keepers we sign. He works with what he is given BG.

I am not saying he has the final say but must contribute somethiong with a view towards the decision. Iam more concerned with what he is doing or rather not doing with the keepers as they appear to be punching the ball more recently rather than catch the ball. Brezovan is usually some many inches above other players on the field plus the reach he should be able to catch most balls.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I cannot remember the last keeper we had who dominated in the air. Even with Kuipers and Roberts you`d be hard pushed to say that was their strong point.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot remember the last keeper we had who dominated in the air. Even with Kuipers and Roberts you`d be hard pushed to say that was their strong point.
Fair point but they were not 6ft 5in tall as Brezovan is which gives him a distinct advantage when going for crosses. In fairness to him he is not helped by having 2 central defenders who are poor in the air as is the case with Greer and Dunk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I am not saying he has the final say but must contribute somethiong with a view towards the decision. Iam more concerned with what he is doing or rather not doing with the keepers as they appear to be punching the ball more recently rather than catch the ball. Brezovan is usually some many inches above other players on the field plus the reach he should be able to catch most balls.

A keeper can catch or he can punch. It is about decision making firstly and Brez has failed on that one and then if you do punch - get some distance on it. Failed again there . I`m sure Godden knows all that anyway so what more can he do BG ?They are just very ordinary keepers. Bring back John Keeley I say. :)He`d still be here now if Dick Tight had given him a decent wage.

Varndean VI Form College

Jul 29, 2011
Hove
Although yesterday's performance by Brezovan was embarrassing, I hope Ankergren is not given (yet another) chance. Give the big man the opportunity to make amends I say-he had a few cracking games at the beginning of this year.

And who remembers Ankergren's punch at the end of the Rochdale game last season? I do and my latest therapy session for it is at midday...

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Two new quality keepers needed for next season if we are to mount a serious challenge.
IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports