Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football's Darkest Secret

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I was equally as shocked to see that when he left Southampton after being confronted by Dave Merrington, he went to Peterborough to carry out more abuse and no one from Saints contacted the Posh to warn them.

Haven't watched part 3 yet (will tonight) but presumably by turning a blind eye and hoping the problem goes away, just like that utter moron at the FA did when refusing to answer questions from the Dispatches reporter.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Haven't watched part 3 yet (will tonight) but presumably by turning a blind eye and hoping the problem goes away, just like that utter moron at the FA did when refusing to answer questions from the Dispatches reporter.

Beachie this reiterated everything that's wrong about the bubble pro football still appears to live in, in this country. Just imagine in 1981 us in our teens, following the Albion at the Goldstone, and someone back then saying that in 40 years time the BBC will air three one hour documentaries revealing, this, this and this, a lot of it going on around that time, you would have thought they were either from another planet or insane?

I hope anyone out there who still has to tell their story finds the courage to contact the Police and get justice and closure.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Watched this on iplayer. Very upsetting and tough to watch. As other posters have said a lot of the football clubs involved did not come out of this at all well. The statements made by the clubs at the end of the programme did not really come over as heartfelt apologies more like standard corporate / legal jargon. But there were some good people involved, the police woman in the liaison team and the QC came over as decent people - very supportive and helpful towards the players involved

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Beachie this reiterated everything that's wrong about the bubble pro football still appears to live in, in this country. Just imagine in 1981 us in our teens, following the Albion at the Goldstone, and someone back then saying that in 40 years time the BBC will air three one hour documentaries revealing, this, this and this, a lot of it going on around that time, you would have thought they were either from another planet or insane?

I hope anyone out there who still has to tell their story finds the courage to contact the Police and get justice and closure.

I can see what you are saying on the football side however, in my view, there were very obvious glaring warning signs about Savilles behaviour back in the 80s and why so many people just turned a blind eye is pretty poor.

That said I will point out again the fact that inevitably power corrupts in very bad ways in many forms of life.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I always believe hatred was an emotion you could control as it showed a lack of EQ, well after watching that I hate that man and the others and everyone who knew about it and did nothing. If you knew and did nothing then you are guilty

Hatred is a completely natural and rational response to some things. Rationally hating something is nothing to do with a lack of EQ.

I've only seen the first episode so far and something that stood out to me and some might not think about is one guy was afraid to tell his dad simply because he knew his dad would "sort it out" and he didn't want to risk losing him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Watched this on iplayer. Very upsetting and tough to watch. As other posters have said a lot of the football clubs involved did not come out of this at all well. The statements made by the clubs at the end of the programme did not really come over as heartfelt apologies more like standard corporate / legal jargon. But there were some good people involved, the police woman in the liaison team and the QC came over as decent people - very supportive and helpful towards the players involved

The Crewe chairman, John Bowler, resigned today.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
What happened in episode two? Taken off iPlayer and it's Twitter account says an 'updated version' is expected soon...

Might be something to do with the Crewe fella resigning or something else that someone has taken exception to [emoji848]

Watched episode one last night - was quite an eye-opener.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What happened in episode two? Taken off iPlayer and it's Twitter account says an 'updated version' is expected soon...

Might be something to do with the Crewe fella resigning or something else that someone has taken exception to [emoji848]

This is more frequent than you think in TV when some inaccuracy has been spotted, a complaint made or even some issue with the music rights.

Technically it could be for one of many reasons

With catch-up services it's now much more obvious.

In the past changes would be made to the master, but the programme may not go out again for ages and of course never be repeated at all.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills

I managed to watch Episode 2 before it got removed . Mainly focused on Southampton and Bob Huggins . A very grim watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I managed to watch Episode 2 before it got removed . Mainly focused on Southampton and Bob Huggins . A very grim watch

I had to stop watching episode 2 to go out with 11 minutes remaining. Can you recall much around what I missed, if it doesn’t reappear on I Player?

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
If I recall it focussed on the Southampton coaches time in court and eventual conviction.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I had to stop watching episode 2 to go out with 11 minutes remaining. Can you recall much around what I missed, if it doesn’t reappear on I Player?
He was a horrible ******* and sat in silence whilst being questioned

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
This is episode 2. It's a pretty harrowing watch, god knows what the next episode is going to unearth.

The Coach (not Bennell) mentioned had offending also going back to the 70s. It wouldn't surprise me if during these times there was some kind of co ordinated pedo network in play.

I remember back around 1980/81 when living in London, I got a part time job working for a very wealthy middle aged gay Business Man in Maida Vale, he owned the whole block of terraced town houses where he lived.
He told me I got the job because he felt I would give him the least problems. (I was probably the least homophobic)

During the couple of months I worked for him he continually made overtures to me about turning gay. (despite him knowing I had a girl friend)

One interesting conversation we later had, was when I mentioned I was keen on Football.
Although he wasn't a Football man himself, he told me he knew the Doctor of a certain Football Club, and that some of the players stayed with him when they were in London, and that he'd "knocked them all off".

At the time I didn't think much of it, thinking he was just trying to normalise to me his gay lifestyle.
In hindsight these could well have been players from the club's youth teams, staying with him when visiting London.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here