[Football] Football Violence On The Rise

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Someone banned on multiple occasions from NSC for racism probably wouldn’t agree.

3106A61F-E0F9-4EF2-B675-3D48C04C8894.jpeg

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Is that true......or did you hear it on the BBC???

Arrests at football matches across the top five English leagues are at their highest levels in years

How many years?? if you are taking in lock out year or so then its hardly surprising it has risen,

I see what you did there, slipping in a sly dig at BBC... thank God you've got Rupert Murdoch's media empire to give you the truth :rolleyes:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In an age where brushing the arm of a policeman (now called an emergency worker so it sounds like a 20yr old female paramedic) is labelled assault, such stats are open to interpretation I guess. Bad language is also an arrest-able offence too, everyone’s got cameras etc. I therefore think such stats are to be taken with a high pinch of salt, certainly judging in context or what used to go on it’s no where near. A bit like football was restarted in 90s with PL, such stats should probably be judged from then only. Those of us who used to go before thenand remember hundreds of people scrapping in and around football grounds won’t be too concerned. Or has anyone been hit by coins or a dart recently? I’ll take a reduced plastic / wafer thin empty cup ‘hitting’ me any day by comparison! That’s if the wind is strong enough to carry it more than 10ft that is!

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
I see what you did there, slipping in a sly dig at BBC... thank God you've got Rupert Murdoch's media empire to give you the truth :rolleyes:

I don't believe any of the MSM. They only exist to sell newspapers/TV advertising so just glorified click-bait.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
When you can get a lifetime ban for lobbing a paper cup onto the pitch ( well it almost made the pitch) of course football related violence figures will rise, because incidents like that are a recorded statistic.

If anything I think there's a hell of a lot less real aggro at football these days, surley most of us old farts from the 70s era would rather sit down and share a beer and a chat with away fans, rather than hitting them on the head with a baseball bat oh yeah oh yeah.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn

Not being at the game I can only go by the newspaper's report.
Racism is Racism no excuse and those found guilty should receive the full force of civil law.
Abuse however is a completely different and subjective thing. Good players should expect it and indeed should feel at least a little complimented that the opposition supporters want to single them out to try to get in their heads and put them off. Booing a player or cheering every time a player makes a mistake is part of the game and name calling is playground stuff and should be treated as such.

Looks to me like this was a local rivalry game so abuse from fans to players or fans to fans is what creates the derby/rivalry atmosphere.

Does this have any relevance to me not believing the MSM?

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
If anything I think there's a hell of a lot less real aggro at football these days, surley most of us old farts from the 70s era would rather sit down and share a beer and a chat with away fans, rather than hitting them on the head with a baseball bat oh yeah oh yeah.

I broadly agree with that. As a qualifying old fart from the 70s, it’s clear that the youngsters of today simply don’t know how to do football aggro, but it’s great that football stadia are much safer places. However there are still some away fans that I simply couldn’t sit down and have a beer with, in particular the likes of Citeh and Chelsea because (from those that I know) they simply look down on clubs like ours. As a measure of how far we’ve come it’s great that fans of most other clubs are now sitting up and admiring our style of football and no longer regarding us as a pushover. All in all, it means that I’m less inclined to use a baseball bat!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Terrible scenes in the ground after the final whistle today ... several clackers were thrown in our direction. Someone should write to their chief exec and get them to remove the rubber bands to reduce the danger [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Is it really though, or is it just that there are more petty rules and surveillance?
Yep, this,... the threshold for an event to be called anti-social/violent/hooliganism is very low... stadium bans for having a lid on a plastic bottle of pop or shouting the 'eff' word in earshot of the Wags seating area.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
On leaving the ground yesterday I saw three fights; one of which was some fifty somethings that fell out over name calling FFS, embarrassing

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Flares had such a different meaning back in the day.

I just used to trip over mine.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Stupid f*cking scheduling for SKY combined with sh*t public transport to and from Falmer certainly doesn't help. The tension building in the train queue after the Chelsea match when there are people anxious to make train connections from Brighton and stupidly long gaps between trains led to several outbreaks of violence...

Not sure if I've been whooshed, but working on the principle I haven't, then there's your problem right there.

"I wanna fight someone cos I've got to wait for a train"!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
No.

These days some racism is right, wouldn’t you agree?

https://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/news/articles/bbc-defends-bame-only-internship#gref

It’s a difficult road to tread I grant you, for some the threshold of what constitutes racism is pretty low these days. I would imagine if Fredrick Douglas, (from his righteous perch) was looking down at the massed ranks of self appointed, piss stained, racist witch generals goose stepping around message boards associated with provincial football team he would shout out to Rosa Parks…….”hey Rosa come over here and take a look at these folks, they don’t know racism any more that they know how to stop damping themselves”

Maybe Hartley’s quote is wrong, the present is a different country.

Getting confused with affirmative action there.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I think a lot of violence in football now is drunk, or coked up, men fighting with each other, more often than not with their own fans. It's almost a coincidence it happens at football matches.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Not sure if I've been whooshed, but working on the principle I haven't, then there's your problem right there.

"I wanna fight someone cos I've got to wait for a train"!

You haven't been whooshed, but your interpretation of the problem is strange.

The issue at Falmer against Chelsea was that their already notorious fans were feeling humiliated by being outplayed but were not held back at final whistle and there were no police to marshall them. With big gaps between short-form trains a massive queue developed at Falmer station with intermingled Chelsea and Brighton fans anxious to make their connections (this is 10pm). These factors combined to make it very tense but certainly the long wait for trains contributed to the tension boiling over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports