Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football rumours

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We need Nigel Clough to get a new job asap, then he can sign COG, and we can move further away from the Burke era.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's only settled down south until a month or so out of the team brings back his yearning for the north.

He'll just have to console himself with the 60k a month he's picking up.

It's amazing what hardships humanity can endure, just to survive.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He'll just have to console himself with the 60k a month he's picking up.

It's amazing what hardships humanity can endure, just to survive.
He failed to console himself last time, though, and pined for the north.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He failed to console himself last time, though, and pined for the north.
Then got the best of both worlds.
Playing up there while earning a kings ransom - and good luck to the fella.

Nobody else is going to come close to matching his wages, so he's here for the duration.
Again - well done to him, and his agent.

You can throw around as much 'I just want to play' BS as you want, but nobody wants to play so much they are prepared to wave goodbye to half their wages.

Nobody else is going to come close to matching his wages, so he's here for the duration.

You can throw around as much 'I just want to play' BS as you want, but nobody wants to play so much they are prepared to wave goodbye to half their wages.

When the cynicism gene was handed out you must have been first in the queue.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When the cynicism gene was handed out you must have been first in the queue.

Clearly as I don't see anything cynical in what I've written.

The Albion offered CoG a deal he couldn't refuse.
He's unlikely to get a deal of that size elsewhere, and so why would he move on?
I certainly wouldn't and I don't think he should either, just for the sake of playing.

It's not like they signed Chris and moved the whole club 500 miles south.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Clearly as I don't see anything cynical in what I've written.

The Albion offered CoG a deal he couldn't refuse.
He's unlikely to get a deal of that size elsewhere, and so why would he move on?
I certainly wouldn't and I don't think he should either, just for the sake of playing.

It's not like they signed Chris and moved the whole club 500 miles south.

Got to be one of the worst transfer deals we've ever done! - 60k a month if true for a journeyman forward who's moved around the lower leagues is just dreadful - sums up the Burke era for me and who would pay him half of his wages now??? Has he got another 2yrs on his contract? FFS!!!!

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Got to be one of the worst transfer deals we've ever done! - 60k a month if true for a journeyman forward who's moved around the lower leagues is just dreadful - sums up the Burke era for me and who would pay him half of his wages now??? Has he got another 2yrs on his contract? FFS!!!!

Going on the fact that 10k a week is now the average in the championship I wouldn't be surprised that he's on a rumoured 15k. Strikers always get more money and he'd had just a good season. I think this just goes to show how difficult it is to sign decent strikers. They will command a huge fee and wages. Hence why we will always take a punt on a less known foreign player. For us to sign a proven championship striker is almost impossible I would imagine.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

£60k a month - well I think that's wrong for starters. Whilst not claiming to know for certain as I haven't seen the wages, I have heard it was nearer £12k - £13k. I'm not sure any of our players in the Amex era have been on anything like that, though Vicente I was told was fairly high.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Precisely, who else is going to be stupid enough to even cover up to £15k a week (assuming it is).

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
£60k a month - well I think that's wrong for starters. Whilst not claiming to know for certain as I haven't seen the wages, I have heard it was nearer £12k - £13k. I'm not sure any of our players in the Amex era have been on anything like that, though Vicente I was told was fairly high.

60k a month works out at around 13.8k a week. I'd expect quite a few of our players to be on at least that now considering the average Championship wage is around 10k.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
60k a month works out at around 13.8k a week. I'd expect quite a few of our players to be on at least that now considering the average Championship wage is around 10k.

I'd put in a dunce smiley to myself (if I could), although I typed month, for some reason I read it as a week....... Apologies @Durrington_Gull

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Although Burke may have signed him, Barber said at the Holbrook fans forum that he had a deal agreed for COG to recover the money we paid for him. Hughton vetoed this as he said he would get the best out of him. I think this was around the time he had a couple of decent games. Anyway, in summary, we paid over the odds for him, saw he was not up to it for half a season, did a deal to get our money back, and still kept him. To make matters worse, Hughton then decided later in the season that Best was an improvement. hence why this was the best paid team in Albion history.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I like it whenever wages come up and someone suggests a speculative figure, which is then used as a stick to beat the player with.
Kayal's on £25k a week here.
Go nuts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here