Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football players mis-remembering their accomplishments

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Exhibit A:

Earlier today I came across an interview with former Albion youngster Micky Conway (who made a couple of first team appearances in the early '70s). This is what he had to say about how he was spotted by the club:-

Conway1.jpg

Being the nerd that I am, I like to make notes about former Albion bit-part players so I went looking for a contemporary report of this match. This is taken from the Albion programme against Aston Villa on March 25 1972:-

Conway2.jpg

So: Conway remembers that his team Westdene "hammered" the Albion youth team and he scored a hat-trick. In actual fact, his team lost 3-2 and he only scored one of their goals! :lol:

Exhibit B:

Hamish Morrison is a former Albion scholar (between 2016 and 2018) who, after being released, had a season with Hamilton Academical before returning to Sussex and the non-league scene. On October 25 2022 there was an interview with him on the Whitehawk FC website which contained this nugget:-

Morrison.jpg

Morrison genuinely seems to believe that he made one first team appearance for the Albion, in the league cup. He didn't. That appearance (wearing the no. 74 shirt) was for the Albion U-23s against Oxford United in the group stages of the Checkatrade Trophy. He only made 4 appearances for the U-23s in total, and two of those were in the Sussex Senior Cup. He was nowhere near making an Albion first team appearance.

I'm sure both these interviews were given in good faith, but it just goes to show how unreliable the human mind is when it comes to remembering things (that are pretty significant in an individual's life)!

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
In fairness to Morrison I guess the Football League Trophy did used to be a first team competition for Albion not all that long ago and he would’ve played against Oxford’s first team at least (?). Maybe a slight disconnect between the question asked and the answer given. Though he does obviously say league cup in his answer despite all that!

I guess it goes to show that despite the undeniable talent and dedication it must’ve taken to get even as far as they did in the game, some folk just aren’t “all there” when it comes to the important details..

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think they embellish their achievements a little bit, then a bit more, then people start to quote their achievements, and then they start to I believe it. Or they are just liars.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I like how someone called Hamish played for Hamilton
His dad grew up in the Outer Hebrides, and when Hamish was a scholar at Albion his grandmother still lived there, so not a big surprise to see him play in Scotland at some point.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Joe Kinnear

Too many to list here, but he was later diagnosed with dementia, which may well have played a part.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
His dad grew up in the Outer Hebrides, and when Hamish was a scholar at Albion his grandmother still lived there, so not a big surprise to see him play in Scotland at some point.

Unless I’m mistaken Hamish’s Dad is still a season ticket holder in the West Upper.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Exhibit A:

Earlier today I came across an interview with former Albion youngster Micky Conway (who made a couple of first team appearances in the early '70s). This is what he had to say about how he was spotted by the club:-

View attachment 180316
Being the nerd that I am, I like to make notes about former Albion bit-part players so I went looking for a contemporary report of this match. This is taken from the Albion programme against Aston Villa on March 25 1972:-

View attachment 180317
So: Conway remembers that his team Westdene "hammered" the Albion youth team and he scored a hat-trick. In actual fact, his team lost 3-2 and he only scored one of their goals! :lol:

Exhibit B:

Hamish Morrison is a former Albion scholar (between 2016 and 2018) who, after being released, had a season with Hamilton Academical before returning to Sussex and the non-league scene. On October 25 2022 there was an interview with him on the Whitehawk FC website which contained this nugget:-

View attachment 180318
Morrison genuinely seems to believe that he made one first team appearance for the Albion, in the league cup. He didn't. That appearance (wearing the no. 74 shirt) was for the Albion U-23s against Oxford United in the group stages of the Checkatrade Trophy. He only made 4 appearances for the U-23s in total, and two of those were in the Sussex Senior Cup. He was nowhere near making an Albion first team appearance.

I'm sure both these interviews were given in good faith, but it just goes to show how unreliable the human mind is when it comes to remembering things (that are pretty significant in an individual's life)!
Christ.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
and if his forefathers had played for Forfar.
A piper from East Fife once scored five against Forfar who scored four.

Last edited:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I love this as an idea for a thread. I wonder if there are some who misremember the other way because they've won so much that they don't remember something that would be hugely significant for most? I remember an interview with a Man United player who said that when they won the FA Cup, perhaps 2004, there was very little celebrating and they were on the coach after the game behaving the same as if they'd just won a league game and it was nothing special, just another trophy and medal to go along with the rest. He said he actually had guilt at how little emotion he felt while knowing what it would have meant to players in other teams.

(A good pub quiz fact adjacent to this is that Rio Ferdinand never won the FA Cup despite winning just about everything else, because he was banned that year...he's since said he went through his career not knowing where most of his winners medals were because they weren't important to him and he always felt they wouldn't be until he retired...except for always wanting an FA Cup one more than anything else.)

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Listening to Robbie Savage big himself up on co-comms most games, you'd think he was a cross between Maradonna and Cruyff.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

tomfitzz

Sep 26, 2022

Apologies for non-Albion related, but here's a good one from this week that came out; Ashley Williams making up a story about hate he received on the back of a game that never actually happened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here