Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football people who are just impossible to dislike

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Barry Fry?

Totally agree - always makes me think of Harry Redknapp, but far, far more genuine.

And has anybody mentioned Lawrie McMenemy - from the part of the world that is my adopted home. A genuine all round top bloke who will always, in my experience, do whatever he can to help people who need help.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
John Motson. His dad was the minister at Steyne Gardens Methodist Church in Worthing many moons ago.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Eric Cantona (for that kick, if nothing else)
Absolutely!

Also add Matt le Tissier and Big Sam (much maligned IMHO).

Always felt John Hartson got very bad publicity for that kick on Berkovic. After all, he was just a simple country boy up from the provinces. He'd obviously done his homework on the history and culture of the east end and was just trying to fit in...........

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Russell Slade

This with the bells of Big Ben on!!

Had a very enjoyable chat with him once where I asked him one question about foreign imports into the game and a hour later we were still sat in a pub discussing the modern obsession with footballers diving!

He is the nices man I have met in football and as genuine as they come.

I still have a bit of a man crush on him

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Sami Hyypia - didn't work out as a manager for us but a real gent.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I had to look at that [MENTION=16843]Hillian1[/MENTION], I just knew it'd be referring to my post. Yeah let's look at it in real time shall we... it's just too shocking... Hartson admitted his 'error of judgement' in his bio, I'd say various forms of cancer spreading through his body was punishment enough. Obviously you're an insensitive ********, but dredging that one up, especially given the work Hartson now does via the JH foundation is just pathetic. I realise you are utterly obsessed with me, but yet another of these pathetic personal attacks on my posts, well it's getting rather scary tbh. Back off, not a threat, but you are starting to worry me.

Kosh

Obviously there's some history between you too that I'm not aware of but my eyebrowswere certainly raised when I saw you put Hartson's name forward .Always struck me as a thug, dishing it out both on and off the pitch. If he has radically changed since being afflicted by cancer then good for him.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
John Motson.

This. I LOVE John Motson. That letter that came out recently that he wrote to a kid asking how to become a football commentator was just fantastic: unpatronising and endlessly helpful. Top, top bloke and one of my favourite commentators.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
People always speak highly of our John Byrne.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here