Football now-a-days

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I know I'm only 17, but I have to say football now-a-days is just woeful.

Where have the days gone of actually being able to win a tackle without it being given as a foul. Now we get players who get nudged one inch and they go down like they've been shot and are on their death beds. When did this start to happen and why? It's ridiculous, actually it's worse than that. Yes I admit some Albion players do it, but that doesn't make it alright, it makes me annoyed that they result to cheating.

I'm not a fan of rugby, but do they have any of these problems where players go around falling over, diving, and being on £100k a week. The answer is NO! This is because the sport is run properly and professionally, not by some retards who all they think about is the money.

We have clubs like Halfiax Town, who sadly this week have gone bust and will have to start all over again right from the very bottom of the football pyramid, for having debts of like £200k. Some players will earn that in 10 days. It's appauling, that players who do no more than kick a little ball around for a living get this ridicoulous amount of money when a team, whose town is now over run with all these "fans" of the big clubs who magically appear when there team is doing good.

Can't we have true honest professionals, such as Sir Bobby Robson, who wanted no more than to just play football rather than some prim-adonnas who all just care about the pay packet at the end of the week and who can give them the most money. What gives them the right to earn the said amounts, when we have true heroes who work for the emergency services getting pityful amounts of money per year.

I'll expect I will get some abuse for saying this, but at such a young age I have to say it's just laughable.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

Where have the days gone of actually being able to win a tackle without it being given as a foul. Now we get players who get nudged one inch and they go down like they've been shot and are on their death beds. When did this start to happen and why? It's ridiculous, actually it's worse than that. Yes I admit some Albion players do it, but that doesn't make it alright, it makes me annoyed that they result to cheating.

I'm not a fan of rugby, but do they have any of these problems where players go around falling over, diving, and being on £100k a week. The answer is NO! This is because the sport is run properly and professionally, not by some retards who all they think about is the money.

We have clubs like Halfiax Town, who sadly this week have gone bust and will have to start all over again right from the very bottom of the football pyramid, for having debts of like £200k. Some players will earn that in 10 days. It's appauling, that players who do no more than kick a little ball around for a living get this ridicoulous amount of money when a team, whose town is now over run with all these "fans" of the big clubs who magically appear when there team is doing good.

Can't we have true honest professionals, such as Sir Bobby Robson, who wanted no more than to just play football rather than some prim-adonnas who all just care about the pay packet at the end of the week and who can give them the most money. What gives them the right to earn the said amounts, when we have true heroes who work for the emergency services getting pityful amounts of money per year.

I'll expect I will get some abuse for saying this, but at such a young age I have to say it's just laughable.

YOu shouldn't get abuse for writing that becuase you are essentially right. But I don't blame the palyers for getting obscene salaries. Who is going to say "I'm sorry, please don't pay me that much, I'm not worth it"?

I blame the game's administrators who have allowed so much money to go to so few.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
You shouldn't get any abuse RM because you have pretty much summed up the current situation, I would only add that if clubs are willing to pay players such massive sums in wages they are hardly likely to decline.

Good advice from covgull, the standard on offer in the BSP isn't too bad at all, check out a few games next season...you shouldn't be disappointed.

PrioryRoad

May 20, 2008
I agree thats its sad what has happened to Halifax, dont forget how close we were. Its just a bad board which can create these problems, a badly run club is like a badly run business - it aint gonna do much. As for the diving it has always happened Fact - however it is much much more prevelant now, i hate to say it but Joe Cole is a fairly large culprit. I think in post match interviews they should show the guilty player a replay, in theory the player should be f***ing embarrassed. and try and explain himself.

Lets be honest though, owen against argentina 98 - suspect. Gerrard champions league final - suspect.

If you were honest in a high profile game and you felt a little contact in the box you may well go down.

As for players simulating to the ref tht there should be a booking, id send the twat off for doing that, i f***ing hate that.

As for the money, cant blame the players, who wouldnt love to be on that kind of money all of us, however at the very top eilte class then they are have been seperated hugley from the fan, although some do keep there head and their roots, and some dont. Id hope i would not lose my idetntity too much but you just dont know.

Last edited:

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I watched the Barrow v Staylebridge celtic play off final. it was great to see fans running on the pitch and hugging their hero's. Brought back memories of the old days.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
The salaries is what makes me not feel sorry for the Chelsea players. Terry missed a penalty, sobs like a school girl, but then picks up his £120,000 for the weeks work.

Diving is something that winds me up no end, and I have always said that if I saw Drogba walking in the street I would walk up to him, brush his shoulder and then leap down the pavement rolling round in pretend agony, yes it would make me look like a twat, but then he may get the message of what a prick he looks like.

What I also hate is that the one time that a fair challenge isnt given as a foul, you get half a team running 50 yards and surrounding the referee calling him a **** or cheat.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

You should'nt get abuse for talking the truth fella.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
The income inequality is like society in general; the rich are getting richer, the poorer are not, or to a lesser extent

The salaries is what makes me not feel sorry for the Chelsea players. Terry missed a penalty, sobs like a school girl, but then picks up his £120,000 for the weeks work.

Diving is something that winds me up no end, and I have always said that if I saw Drogba walking in the street I would walk up to him, brush his shoulder and then leap down the pavement rolling round in pretend agony, yes it would make me look like a twat, but then he may get the message of what a prick he looks like.

What I also hate is that the one time that a fair challenge isnt given as a foul, you get half a team running 50 yards and surrounding the referee calling him a **** or cheat.

I don't want to pick on Chelsea (pretty much all professional teams do it to some degree) but they are the worst. They get all these decisions for soft fouls (or simply dives) and then you get Joe Cole absolutely incredulous when a corner isn't given that should have been. The stupid thing is that in probably 80% of cases you can tell when a player is being honest (they tend to protest a lot more); if the players just appealed for the correct things, and admitted when they weren't fouled or when it was a goal kick, then it would make the referees job much easier. I hate the fact that every time the ball goes out for a throw in, players from both teams automatically put their arm in the air appealing for the decision, even when it's blatently obvious who should have the throw.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Totally agree with what you say RM.

Certainly wasn't like that when I first started watching football in the early 70's. The days of the fair shoulder charge that could land your opponent in the advertising board! :clap:

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I hate the fact that every time the ball goes out for a throw in, players from both teams automatically put their arm in the air appealing for the decision, even when it's blatently obvious who should have the throw.

I also despise this, why do they need to do it ??? They never used to.

Jamie Carragher is a prime example who I can think of, always claims for handball from a corner where it clearly hits someone's head.

Pathetic

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I also despise this, why do they need to do it ??? They never used to.

Jamie Carragher is a prime example who I can think of, always claims for handball from a corner where it clearly hits someone's head.

Pathetic

The Sky effect?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
In response to what several people have stated about wages and the clubs offering them, then I think the only think possible to do to curb this problem would be to bring in a cap on salaries for each team and each player.

No player deserves to earn ridicolous amounts of money, surely £15k a week is good enough for them and their families. This in my eyes is still a ridicolous amount of money to earn in a week, where potentially they actually do nothing but sit on a bench.

Once again, they have salary caps in rugby (or at least I think they do, like I mentioned before I don't watch it), so surely it's time they bought it in to football.

It's never going to happen like but it would be the right thing.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
RMT... you have an old head on them young shoulders.

You're aboslutely right and I'm probably in a minority of one saying that I hope the whole thing goes bust and we end up with poorer quality amateur football because then it will be played with some passion because there won't be enough money around to play for anything else.

Saw some games at Bishop Stortford when we lived there and it was great.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
RMT... you have an old head on them young shoulders.

You're aboslutely right and I'm probably in a minority of one saying that I hope the whole thing goes bust and we end up with poorer quality amateur football because then it will be played with some passion because there won't be enough money around to play for anything else.

Saw some games at Bishop Stortford when we lived there and it was great.

You'd probably lose the Albion, too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports