Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football managers/coaches

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Bit of a waffle this, and I’m not really sure what my point is. Great start, eh?

Just reading an article about De Zerbi on the BBC Football page (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63038529). I was particularly interested in James Horncastle’s assessment of De Zerbi;

“The football he will play will be very exciting because it will be very risky. He likes to invite teams on to his team, play through the press because he thinks that gives them a numerical advantage, and that has driven some old school Italian coaches mad.”

It got me thinking about the concept of managers instilling a doctrine to their squad, how that translates into training sessions, and how players react to playing completely different styles when a manager changes.

How exactly is it done? Individual instructions to the players at team meetings? Diagrams? Videos?

How do you deal with bad eggs who refuse to adapt?

It must be a completely different situation to managing, say, a shop or a building site - because so much of being a football manager appears to be so abstract.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It all sounds the complete opposite of CH’s philosophy in the PL :shrug:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Bit of a waffle this, and I’m not really sure what my point is. Great start, eh?

Just reading an article about De Zerbi on the BBC Football page (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63038529). I was particularly interested in James Horncastle’s assessment of De Zerbi;

“The football he will play will be very exciting because it will be very risky. He likes to invite teams on to his team, play through the press because he thinks that gives them a numerical advantage, and that has driven some old school Italian coaches mad.”

It got me thinking about the concept of managers instilling a doctrine to their squad, how that translates into training sessions, and how players react to playing completely different styles when a manager changes.

How exactly is it done? Individual instructions to the players at team meetings? Diagrams? Videos?

It must be a completely different situation to managing, say, a shop or a building site - because so much of being a football manager appears to be so abstract.

Managing people is managing people whatever business your in. You have to build trust of you at an individual level but also make them feel part of the team. Every individual has different needs and a good manager manages to find these out and use it to guide how they manage that individual ( look up Maslow's Triangle ). Those that won't convert generally leave or you manage them out of the business. In football they just get sold or their contract runs out.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Now this is always an interesting challenge. Personally I've always found it works to make an example of a troublemaker early doors. Kneecapping one of the ringleaders, or if they're really troublesome, popping two caps in the back of their head in a team meeting, normally gets everybody in line. Obviously in a football context kneecapping somebody could be seen as could be seen as counter-productive. Maybe go for the elbow instead.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Now this is always an interesting challenge. Personally I've always found it works to make an example of a troublemaker early doors. Kneecapping one of the ringleaders, or if they're really troublesome, popping two caps in the back of their head in a team meeting, normally gets everybody in line. Obviously in a football context kneecapping somebody could be seen as could be seen as counter-productive. Maybe go for the elbow instead.

Unless he's the goalie.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yeah they're always tricky, they need all their limbs.

I've always thought waterboarding might be an effective method of bringing people in line. My Head of HR wasn't all that keen when I mentioned it though.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I was a retail manager and transitioned into stage management work, within theatre mostly. Managing people out was a skill of mine. I understand the general idea of good management, I was thinking more specifically about football management.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

A suite of e-learning modules

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I get the sense Bloom likes exciting, risk-taking football. Definitely saw risk-taking football with Hyypia and he was willing to be pretty patient in that case. Hughton is the one manager he's put in place who was a "Steady the ship" type, which was absolutely needed at the time.

Otherwise he's generally gone for exciting, hungry young managers with interesting ideas and a strong footballing philosophy - Poyet, Potter, De Zerbi.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here