Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football Manager 2016 - The Official Thread

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Not wanting to put a dampner on things but it seems to me that FM is trying too hard to add new features and is becoming more of a coaching game rather than just the days of good old Championship Manager where all you had to do was choose your team, dabble in the transfer market and see the game go by via the text on the screen.

Agreed. Sometimes, simple is best.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I always had trouble with tactics but then this guy on fm-base.co.uk gave me some really useful advice and I've loved tactic creation ever since. He just said to work out how you want your team to play and then to make the most simple tactic based off that. He stressed that the tactical instructions are often where people fall down in that they have far too many turned on. Too many instructions means the players have too much to think about when making a decision in game. I now usually have four on, maximum.

These threads/manuals are also massively helpful, especially the 'Pairs and Combinations' one.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/366111-How-to-Play-FM-A-Twelve-Step-Guide

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/375632-Pairs-amp-Combinations-FM2015-UPDATED

http://community.sigames.com/showth...actician-s-Handbook-for-Football-Manager-2015

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Classic mode is absolute class and much closer to the original. I say that as someone who gave up on the game for 4 years because of the complicated nature of it.

The 01/02 update is fun too.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Remember playing it on the Amiga, then the box featured an Alan Brazil-a-like manager shouting, very different now.

I remember reading about the 'uncanny valley' which, despite sounding like a line from a Carry On, was a study done on how people perceived robots. The more 'human' the robots were made to seem the more people liked them. But then there comes a point where people are a bit freaked out, by becoming almost too human the paradox was that they seemed far from it. At a certain point the realism of the robots actually spooked people rather than endear them (the 'Uncanny Valley' was a sudden drop in a chart which measured this btw).

That's where I feel the game has gone. 16 hours into the new season and you've played one friendly but probably had to sort out a training spat where one player has copied the hairstyle of another, or made comments about his wife. There used to be a bit of a balance to it, but the more they try and make it real the more glaring the holes. Case in point when I played a recent version but due to European games (including the one you play as the winner of the UEFA cup) I had played 2/3 games less than the other teams. Cue an outbreak of "thinks the club is underachieving" amongst the squad.

Don't even get me started on the 'damaged his elbow in training" occurrences! As a Burnley fan I used to look to take them up and a couple of times got them in the Prem, again, "X wants to leave for a bigger club". Club in question was always Wolves or Sheff Wednesday who were in League One.

Venting the bitterness aside, when they tried becoming too clever they came unstuck due to the bizarre AI loopholes. I daresay it's still horribly addictive though.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
I love the look of that feature, just a shame it looks like it is only for multiplayer mode :(

Personally, I'm getting so bored of Football Manager now, I am not a tactical genius so just end up finding a tactic online and end up winning everything far to easily.

Even adding my own rules, for example, I was only able to buy one player per transfer window, or only allowed to buy players with international caps, was too easy. (Although, I'm thinking next time to start at very small club and only buy players capped by the country I am managing in)

what a weird complaint. maybe try making your own tactic then rather than implement house-rules? that's where its rewarding, finding a tactic that works that you've made yourself. thats most of the point of the game....

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm not sure I'm ready to let go of my FM15 games yet. This may be the first year in a long time where I wait until the Steam Christmas sale and get it on the cheap....

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Remember playing it on the Amiga, then the box featured an Alan Brazil-a-like manager shouting, very different now.

I remember reading about the 'uncanny valley' which, despite sounding like a line from a Carry On, was a study done on how people perceived robots. The more 'human' the robots were made to seem the more people liked them. But then there comes a point where people are a bit freaked out, by becoming almost too human the paradox was that they seemed far from it. At a certain point the realism of the robots actually spooked people rather than endear them (the 'Uncanny Valley' was a sudden drop in a chart which measured this btw).

That's where I feel the game has gone. 16 hours into the new season and you've played one friendly but probably had to sort out a training spat where one player has copied the hairstyle of another, or made comments about his wife. There used to be a bit of a balance to it, but the more they try and make it real the more glaring the holes. Case in point when I played a recent version but due to European games (including the one you play as the winner of the UEFA cup) I had played 2/3 games less than the other teams. Cue an outbreak of "thinks the club is underachieving" amongst the squad.

Don't even get me started on the 'damaged his elbow in training" occurrences! As a Burnley fan I used to look to take them up and a couple of times got them in the Prem, again, "X wants to leave for a bigger club". Club in question was always Wolves or Sheff Wednesday who were in League One.

Venting the bitterness aside, when they tried becoming too clever they came unstuck due to the bizarre AI loopholes. I daresay it's still horribly addictive though.

I hated that bigger club glitch, it never updated.

I got Crawley to the PL, we won the FA cup and UEFA cup still one of my players left because he wanted to go to a bigger club - League 2 Plymouth

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
It's not a lot different to 2015 from what I can tell four games into the season. We've beaten Forest 1-0, beaten Stevenage 1-0, drawn with Fulham 2-2 and inexplicably lost 3-0 at Huddersfield.

The ProZone stats are a nice addition, the match engine is vastly improved and there are a few more questions and answers etc, but the whole 'creating your avatar' thing is a crappy gimmick.

Already had a fall-out with Greer as I seem to on every game. He demanded to leave as he had 'achieved all he can' with the club, when I tried to convince him to stay he said he would 'make my life very difficult' if I didn't let him go, so he has chipped off to Bristol City for £100k and I've bought in Richard Dunne on a free transfer as a replacement. Uwe has been given the armband, it would've been Crofts had he not got himself sent at 3-0 down in the 93rd minute against Huddersfield.

I've been using Hughton-esque tactics, a rigid 4-4-2 with the emphasis on controlling the game and 'patiently probing' the opposition, but it's taking the team a bit of time to get used to it, hence the 3-0 drubbing at Hudds (James Vaughan is the most overrated player on the last 4 or 5 FMs).

Elvis Manu and Sam Baldock have been my better players so far as well as Marko Milinkovic- a winger that I bought in on the cheap from Slovan Bratislava- who is looking to be a cracking bargain signing.

We've actually got loads of potential Premier League players in the youth system now which makes a nice change. Jordan Maguire-Drew, Jayson Molumby, Robert Sanchez (17 year old Spanish 'keeper), Glenn Rea, Jack Harper, Vahid Hambo, Christian Walton and a few others all have 4/5 star potential ratings and should go on to be decent PL players.

Drawn Palace in the second round of the COC, not holding out much hope of a result on that one.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Beta version is FULL of shitty bugs.

See:

Uploading quality is obviously a shower of shite as well.

Not getting on with this game at all. Started a new career as Swansea after this kind of shit kept happening in my Brighton save. This happened 2 games in to secure a ludicrous 4-3 defeat at West Brom on the second game of the season. **** this.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Brighton is usually the 2nd 'save' after the January update.

Till then I tend to take a 'bottom' league club up to the Prem, win UEFA Cup, League Cup and FA Cup and then repeat it with Brighton just starting half way through the journey. Same pattern every year and every save you win the leagues right up to about L1 or Champ where it takes a single year of playoffs to solidify (or scrape through then solidify above) then win again to get into Prem and come 5th up there taking most of the cups, before winning the Prem at 2nd attempt.

As long as go for young players the 'value' of club and team just escalates. After 18 years or so playing it I got bored maybe 5 iterations ago but this will be the first I don't buy and sink hours into. New PS4 to play games with friends and coleagues not to mention more responsibilities each year at home mean game time is more precious and solo gaming doesn't really happen

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here