Football League Show - Still no credit!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
"There are a number of teams in this league who are just as good as them". Of couse there are Karl Robinson, of course there are. You keep telling yourself that Karl...seven wins on the trot whilst you're drawing at home to Walsall on the back of a dodgy penalty. That's why you're staying down.
Exactly. There may be other teams who are as good but do they have the ability? The ability to be consistent and win more games?

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Yep, there are plenty of team's as good as us in League 1, that's why we're 13 points clear and only lost 5 (away) games all season. What's wrong with the pundits just admitting that we're the BEST team in the League and that's why we're so far in front?

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
It's nonsense for any commentator to deny that we are the best side in the division. That said, the icing on the cake for this year would be for us to beat Huddersfield & Southampton, because so far our record against the other top sides has been mixed:

- Huddersfield (lost at their place)
- Saints (drew at their place)
- Bournemouth (lost at their place and only drew at Withdean)
- MK Dons (lost at their place, won earlier in the season at home)

P'boro is the only top side that we've done the double over this season.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Normally water off a duck's back for me, but Robinson's comments (and of course those from that idiot Claridge) we pretty disingenuous. Hard for Karl to admit that we are streets ahead given that he manages a rival team, but we've seen from other threads that we are streets ahead of this league and even ahead of the likes of Leicester/Norwich etc at the same stage of the season. I don't remember them being held up as having others teams "as good as them". It's clearly not true. We are the stand out team of League One. But seems we won't get the accolades on BBC1. So what.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I actually thouht Claride made a good point. We are winning the games we should be winning. The others are not, hence we are stil top.

Mark Jones

Jan 28, 2011
Normally water off a duck's back for me, but Robinson's comments (and of course those from that idiot Claridge) we pretty disingenuous. Hard for Karl to admit that we are streets ahead given that he manages a rival team, but we've seen from other threads that we are streets ahead of this league and even ahead of the likes of Leicester/Norwich etc at the same stage of the season. I don't remember them being held up as having others teams "as good as them". It's clearly not true. We are the stand out team of League One. But seems we won't get the accolades on BBC1. So what.

I don't see why you care! We (Norwich) romped the league after a crap start. Leeds were 15 points ahead of us at one stage yet the media attention was all on Leeds... I prefered not having the added pressure tbh!

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I actually thouht Claride made a good point. We are winning the games we should be winning. The others are not, hence we are stil top.

The big difference this year is that we've routinely beaten the average and weaker sides in the division, where our promotion 'rivals' have often slipped up. Would just be nice to put 3 or 4 past SCC & Hudds to reinforce our dominance.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Football isn't about getting credit, it's about getting points and winning trophies.

I don't care whether outsiders think we're any good or not, I just want us to keep winning and play the style of football we currently are. Anyone with half a brain should be able to tell we are clearly the best team, the league table doesn't lie.

Swindon quite rightly will get credit for their performance today, but they still went home pointless and bang in trouble.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
What annoys me is the fact that if Southampton were 13 clear of us then it would be

"Brilliant Southampton, just too good for this division" FOllowed by Clarrige and his wonderful input "I went to see them play and they scored more goals then the other team. This meant that they woned the game and got more points"

They would then invite Adkins in to the studio so they could get there tongues a bit further up his arsehole

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What annoys me is the fact that if Southampton were 13 clear of us then it would be

"Brilliant Southampton, just too good for this division" FOllowed by Clarrige and his wonderful input "I went to see them play and they scored more goals then the other team. This meant that they woned the game and got more points"

They would then invite Adkins in to the studio so they could get there tongues a bit further up his arsehole

Have to agree, it would be a complete wankfest about a team too good for this league recovering from hard times, heading back to where they belonged after a nasty experience.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
If we win the league it will be the same as when we one this league last time (Reading were perceived the best team) on when we won what was then Div 3 and we only one it because they had points deducted.

Do you know what though? I don't care. I have changed my opinion from being irritated by nobody giving us much credit to thinking that I really don't care what people think. If we finish the season with the League One trophy in the Amex trophy cabinet then whatever enyone else thinks is irrelevant.

The title of "Champions" will tell you who is best. Not Steve Claridge, Karl Robinson, Leroy Rosenior of Mark Bright.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Karl who?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
While I don't dispute that if southampton were in our position they would be receiving a lot more praise than we do, I thought Claridge's comments were fair enough. He said you can't call brighton "far and away the best side" because there are other teams that can play as well as us, they just haven't. Ability wise many other teams aren't that far behind us, I would tentatively suggest that at least a couple of teams have the ability to play a game as well as we do.

As far as consistently achieving the performances and winning the points, we are far and away the best, the table bears that out. As far as quality available in the team, I don't know if we can say we are far and away the best.

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
I think people are sometimes a bit too precious about this. Yes, Robinson's comments are a bit silly - there may be teams who are as good as us on their day, especially if we're not at the top of our game, but over the season, evidently not - and I think he said the table at this stage of the season doesn't lie. Claridge wasn't far wrong either in that we're not playing our best due to the number of games we have played but are grinding out the results. :shrug:

It would be nice to get more coverage but it's less of a story, and anyway I think we're getting our fair share with the stadium and all. If we don't get the recognition after being promoted and winning the league, THEN I'll feel aggrieved.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It tells me that we have by far the best manager in the division. If our players are no better than those in other sides, why do we win all the time? And why do we tend to do it in style? Gus has put an excellent team together with only a few additions to what we already had. The mentality of the team has greatly changed and i hope it now lives long. They are now determined to win rather than just survive. That means the players now think they are good enough, and that is half the secret of success. Robinson and the rest clearly haven't got that inhuman ability to quietly inspire and fail to ever stand out.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
We are so far ahead its become a bit of a non story

The interest (and therefore coverage) in the league now lies in the battle for 2nd, the play-off places and the battle to avoid relegation because these standings can change game by game as there are several teams fighting for the positions. - If we weren't so far ahead, we would probably get more tv time as a result.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Meado's nailed it with the 'best manager'. There have been times this season where we haven't played well and won, and during that long spell without a win and other stumbles other teams didn't take advantage. I still don't think we have the best squad, just a very good one.

But it is clear to me the bigger plan, tactics, motivation and man management are on a different plane.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports