football in eastern europe

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Freddo

May 14, 2006
Clapham
hi there,
Next week I'm leavin to go interailin with some friends and im lookin to find some footie matches to go to while we're out there. We're goin to places like krakow and wroclaw in poland, as well as zagreb (croatia) and ljubljana in slovenia. i was just wondering if anyone had any experience trying to go to matches in other countries where you don't speak the language and what the best way of going about it was? any useful websites or ideas would be welcome.
cheers
freddo

Dandyman

In London village.
hi there,
Next week I'm leavin to go interailin with some friends and im lookin to find some footie matches to go to while we're out there. We're goin to places like krakow and wroclaw in poland, as well as zagreb (croatia) and ljubljana in slovenia. i was just wondering if anyone had any experience trying to go to matches in other countries where you don't speak the language and what the best way of going about it was? any useful websites or ideas would be welcome.
cheers
freddo

Not sure how this works for your dates but...

Official website of Wis³a Kraków SA

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'd be tempted to leave the football to Croatia and Poland - and while in Llubljana just spend the time in all the bars down by the riverside. Marvellous scenes.

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
hi there,
cheers
freddo

Saw Hajduk Split play a Champions League qualifier a few years ago. Can get tickets from vendors outside the stadium. Absolutely mental experience, you have to check it out (unless you're afraid of fireworks).

Freddo

May 14, 2006
Clapham
Not sure how this works for your dates but...

Official website of Wis³a Kraków SA

thanks, i couldnt for the life of me find a site in english!

Saw Hajduk Split play a Champions League qualifier a few years ago. Can get tickets from vendors outside the stadium. Absolutely mental experience, you have to check it out (unless you're afraid of fireworks).[/QUOTE]

Definitely checkin them out! :D

Freddo

May 14, 2006
Clapham
oh and when a polish site for example lists fixtures, is it like in england where the home team is listed first? anyone know?

Dandyman

In London village.
oh and when a polish site for example lists fixtures, is it like in england where the home team is listed first? anyone know?

I think it is usually the same. I've seen both of the Warsaw teams play and the atmosphere was good at both. Wisla Krakow are reigning Polish champs, so you should see a decent standard of football,

Dandyman

In London village.
is it hard to get around these places in poland? anyone speak english?

Poland is fairly easy to get around using the railways (although not especially quick). Younger people tend to speak some english, although you may be better off copying phrases from a book if you need to book anything.

Polish is quite a struggle for most english speakers but you will generally get a good reception if you master:

Hello - Dzien Dobry (gin -dobray)

Thank you - Dziekuje (jen-koo-ay)

Please - Prosze (prosh-eh)

Beer - Piwo (Pee-vo)

English - Angol

German - Niemcy (or Schwab if you want to be less polite).

Polish beer is good (try the stouts and porters if on offer as well as the lager), Polish women are wonderful filth and the food is quite nice too.

Dandyman

In London village.

Freddo

May 14, 2006
Clapham
Poland is fairly easy to get around using the railways (although not especially quick). Younger people tend to speak some english, although you may be better off copying phrases from a book if you need to book anything.

Polish is quite a struggle for most english speakers but you will generally get a good reception if you master:

Hello - Dzien Dobry (gin -dobray)

Thank you - Dziekuje (jen-koo-ay)

Please - Prosze (prosh-eh)

Beer - Piwo (Pee-vo)

English - Angol

German - Niemcy (or Schwab if you want to be less polite).

Polish beer is good (try the stouts and porters if on offer as well as the lager), Polish women are wonderful filth and the food is quite nice too.

cheers for the info, on another note, apart from footie, does anyone know anyother sports that countries like poland and the czech republic are mad about and would be quite good to go and see?

Jamon Jamon

Mar 25, 2008
Haven't been to Poland, but have been to Sparta Prague and Ferencvaros, in both cases no-one around spoke English but a bit of the old sign language and following yer nose, gettin tickets at the ground was a piece of piss

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports