Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football Hooliganism in the 70's - any views?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Remember going to Luton with my Uncle in 1970 (I think) and seeing a bunch of Albion skinheads literally kicking someones head in. In that moment my innocence, in thinking that following my team was just an exciting day out and all about what happened on the pitch, was destroyed forever.

That would be the day super mac nearly had his car rolled,pretty tasty the luton clashes.

Jan 30, 2008
Hooligans in the early 70's were younger 14-20ish also thinner and had as many as 6/7 scarves at a time,you could take an end just by larger numbers and rep,mobs would often be up 500 strong but less actual fighting was needed.
There was lots of running and shouting this was called rampaging.
you must be talking about the mancs .

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I remember jumping into the Chesterfield end when the police thought all the Brighton fans going onto the pitch were going to congratulate the players. We we livid as Mansfield won and we werent champions, the police didnt realise until we were all past the half way line, and Brighton fans were swarming around the side.

Also had the nightmare of a trip with the Nellie Peck crew in the back of a lorry to Cambridge, and back eventually. I actually lost count of the crimes comitted that day.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
1970's were pre-casual. Fashion at the time was Ben Sherman shirts , Levi Sta-Prest jeans held up with braces and Doctor Marten boots (with the obligatory steel toe caps)

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
1970's were pre-casual. Fashion at the time was Ben Sherman shirts , Levi Sta-Prest jeans held up with braces and Doctor Marten boots (with the obligatory steel toe caps)

That was the early 70's when things were really just smarter skinhead gear, also Fred Perry shirts, shoes were doc-martin (shoes), loafers and brogues. Smart was tonic suites, sheepskins and Crombies.

After that came all sorts, Jaytex cardigans and t-shirts (bright colours), penny round collars, Skinner jeans (big wide things), Birmingham bags, workman gear and combat trousers for football (donkey jackets etc.), white coats, things kept changing.

in the early 80's habits changed as well, colours were dropped, alcohol intake was reduced and hooligan elements done what would have been unthinkable 3 years earlier and that was taking up residence in the seated areas home and away, our West St Crew left the North Stand and took up a spot in the east as this gave the OB the slip( for about 1 match) and improved 'interaction' with the away fans in the north east corner, The atmosphere became quite good in the bottom corner of the east at that time esp night matches

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
in the early 80's habits changed as well, colours were dropped, alcohol intake was reduced and hooligan elements done what would have been unthinkable 3 years earlier and that was taking up residence in the seated areas home and away, our West St Crew left the North Stand and took up a spot in the east as this gave the OB the slip( for about 1 match) and improved 'interaction' with the away fans in the north east corner, The atmosphere became quite good in the bottom corner of the east at that time esp night matches

Not really 100% correct. The West Street (Bosun/Lamb & Flag)) lads rarely went in the North Stand (only for big games when that was were the action would be), most of the time they were in the South or South-west looking for away fans even in the late 70's. Don't forget, any away fans were open to attack in those days, as we were away. Segregation only really worked out properly when they built the "pen" in the North-east corner. "Away ends" were just the opposite end from the main home fans singing end. At most grounds, the "away end" was where the older, harder, lads went anyway. (E.g. Chelsea North Stand, Arsenal Clock End, etc.).

Not really 100% correct. The West Street (Bosun/Lamb & Flag)) lads rarely went in the North Stand (only for big games when that was were the action would be), most of the time they were in the South or South-west looking for away fans even in the late 70's. Don't forget, any away fans were open to attack in those days, as we were away. Segregation only really worked out properly when they built the "pen" in the North-east corner. "Away ends" were just the opposite end from the main home fans singing end. At most grounds, the "away end" was where the older, harder, lads went anyway. (E.g. Chelsea North Stand, Arsenal Clock End, etc.).

fair dinkum, these are the eyes of a 13 year old! are you saying the crew that used to stand and occasionally sing behind the South Stand goal c 1978 evolved as the West St/East terrace crew as mentioned above?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
fair dinkum, these are the eyes of a 13 year old! are you saying the crew that used to stand and occasionally sing behind the South Stand goal c 1978 evolved as the West St/East terrace crew as mentioned above?

Well, they were already drinking in West Street (Bosun mainly). I guess they did evolve into the "Casuals" West Street ETN (East Terrace Nutters) lads as younger brothers and their mates took over the mantle, and the original lads "grew up" (apart from "big games"). That and the Bosun banning everyone!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As just a youngster in the mid 70's I do remember watching the trouble, sometimes following and keeping a safe distance from the real trouble and even though it was scary for a group of 12 year olds it was wonderfully exciting.

I remember one prominent member of BHA, I think he was Bosun' and maybe mid 20's, but I can see him now in a blue boiler suit, doc martins, mid length thinning brownish hair, slightly ruddy complexion and always on the look out for any opposing fans.

Jan 30, 2008
Huddersfield ???

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Good stuff, I've looked into skinhead stuff as much as I can but Jesus the 70s were very quiet on the Government front in terms of responding to it weren't they!?

Roll on C2 where I can destroy the 80's. By the way anymore contribution would be VERY nice.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent

A lot of bad stuff happened back then but it was still possible to pretty much avoid the hooligan element. I had a season ticket in the late 70s and early 80s and didn't really see a lot of trouble although there was always that underlying feeing that you had to watch out for some lary opposition kid. Most of the time it was just kids playfighting. I was usually in the South Stand and most of us used to think the north stand was just a load of school kids trying to pretend they were hard. Got to say the nice friendly atmosphere at the Amex is so much better that those days. It's good that it's now perfectly safe to take women and kids to a match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here