Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Football ground food

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Can we talk a out the beer machines? First time ever in the WSL against Liverpool so got to try out the beer machine. How brilliant are they? Ice cold morretti and virtually no queue.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Had chicken bites and chips at the burger van outside. Hardly any chips and half a dozen chicken balls for £10 was pretty rip off rates I thought.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Like most pubs, I'm not quite sure why people go to a football stadium expecting great quality food that is good value for money :shrug:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Like most pubs, I'm not quite sure why people go to a football stadium expecting great quality food that is good value for money :shrug:
This, I had a cracking Spanish omelette and chips at Cafe Lulu on Lewes Road before Saturdays game £8.00, I did feel it running for the bus though, and could if the truth be known, gone home for a nap....

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Can we talk a out the beer machines? First time ever in the WSL against Liverpool so got to try out the beer machine. How brilliant are they? Ice cold morretti and virtually no queue.
Moretti?

We had Beavertown in the the Norf, which was delightful if, at £6.20, rather expensive. I only had to queue behind 1 person though, when the bar was about 15 deep, so that was a definite bonus.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This, I had a cracking Spanish omelette and chips at Cafe Lulu on Lewes Road before Saturdays game £8.00, I did feel it running for the bus though, and could if the truth be known, gone home for a nap....

That sounds mega :drool:

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Ah but you're comparing grass fed cattle to Californian almonds which is a false comparison.

I'm California 40% of the water is used for dairy farming. 3% is used for almond farming to produce a massive percentage of the world's almonds. Cow's milk requires more water, more land and produces more CO2 per litre.

Also almond milk in the UK uses almonds sourced from almond farms in Spain which are fully rain water grown. They're far better than cow's milk environmentally.

Vegans don't use palm oil unless it's ethically sourced as it causes unnecessary animal suffering.

Animal agriculture accounts for 75% of deforestation globally. It is responsible for 86% of the endangered species we observe currently.

California produces 80% of the world's almonds so hardly a false comparison. But I agree, spanish almonds are much better environmentally and that keeping cows or growing almonds in one of the driest parts of the world is an eco nonsense.

1litre of Almond milk requires 107 litres of Blue water (blue water being water that could be used for human consumption) whilst 1litre of Dairy milk requires 8 litres of Blue water. In the UK, no blue water is required as all water can be collected and stored from winter rain fall (Source Cranfield University).

Please give your proof that 86% of endangered species are so as as a result of 'animal agriculture'

Like I said, its a question of balance not mantra

Genuine question: How does palm oil production cause animal suffering?

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
True. Once upon a time the pre or post match eating option was an easy choice.

The past pong of many cod n chips portions will linger in those new flats.

Attachments

• 20210905_223610 (2).jpg
    20210905_223610 (2).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 59

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Best football food I’ve had was cottage pie at a very cold Aggborough. Excellent.

Did anyone ever buy a burger from the Goldstone Ground? :nono:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
True. Once upon a time the pre or post match eating option was an easy choice.

The past pong of many cod n chips portions will linger in those new flats.
Spot on.

Actually gutted they closed* before I could show my son what it means to have some chips with sore finger on match days.

*yes, I know why they closed :down:

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Moretti?

We had Beavertown in the the Norf, which was delightful if, at £6.20, rather expensive. I only had to queue behind 1 person though, when the bar was about 15 deep, so that was a definite bonus.
😡

West Stand Upper seems to be the last bastion of warm, pre-poured Fosters after an 11 hour wait.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The vegan lobby mantra that all livestock farming is bad for the planet is no more true than the meat industry mantra that there are no environmental issues with meat production or consumption.
The IPCC stated that livestock farming in parts of the world (eg Northern Europe) is ‘part of the solution’ whereas clearly cutting down rainforest for beef feed lots is a disaster. Almond production for ‘milk’ is an eco nonsense whereas cows milk produced from grass makes a massive contribution to confronting climate change. Palm oil production (all for human consumption, none is used for feed livestock) is responsible for vast areas of habitat destruction across Asia, whilst transporting lamb 12000 miles from New Zealand (where the indiscriminate use of 10 80 poison is wiping out bird life on a shocking scale) is equally damaging.
As always, there is a need for balance. Something we really appear to struggle with in our polarised opinionated society, but if we are going to truly combat change we ALL need to drop our personal prejudices and work together for the common good.
good points. one to add, net affect of cows is far less than claimed as their food is largely made of CO2 extracted from the atmosphere. not zero impact but this is completely ignored in normal environmental claims.

Reactions: abc

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Don’t do this…… You know why….

Crispy Thai Noodles ……… that’s f***ing why.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Certainly on the pie front, Piglets steak & ale versus Pukka steak & gristle, l know which one l'd choose.
Are Pukka Pies really that bad? I haven’t eaten meat for several years now.

In the 90s I had my first Pukka Pie at Rotherham’s old ground, I thought it was good, I don’t remember these pies on sale in the chip shops i used in Brighton back then.
I’ve just had a cheese, leek and potato Pukka Pie at home and enjoyed it.

Best pie I’ve had in recent years was the veggie pie at Lewes FC.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
1 litre of Almond milk requires 107 litres of Blue water (blue water being water that could be used for human consumption) whilst 1litre of Dairy milk requires 8 litres of Blue water. In the UK, no blue water is required as all water can be collected and stored from winter rain fall (Source Cranfield University).

Please give your proof that 86% of endangered species are so as as a result of 'animal agriculture'

Like I said, its a question of balance not mantra

Genuine question: How does palm oil production cause animal suffering?
The blue water comparison doesn't make sense as you're comparing almonds farmer in California versus global dairy production, the blue water cost in California for dairy is much higher.

In terms of overall water requirements, almond milk requires 15 gallons per cup, dairy 48 gallons.

The dairy argument also doesn't include the crops grown for the animals and the land use is far larger.

The 86% was false as it's agriculture in general, I just misread it.

However the majority of crops worldwide are grown for livestock so it's likely this is a cause of it as well as livestock farms as they require so much land.

Most large scale palm oil plantations cut down massive amounts of rainforest, destroying habitats for animals resulting in huge amounts of suffering for them.

The deforestation strategy tends to be 'slash and burn' and massively affects orangutans, elephants, tigers and multiple species of fish.

Palm oil production is listed as a major threat to 193 critically endangered, endangered and vulnerable species.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Spot on.

Actually gutted they closed* before I could show my son what it means to have some chips with sore finger on match days.

*yes, I know why they closed :down:
So sad. Mr Sore Finger would be manning the counter while Mrs Sore Finger and Sore Finger Junior could be seen just going about their everyday domestic life in the background. It was their front room with an added fish'n'chip counter basically. Sorely missed :down:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So sad. Mr Sore Finger would be manning the counter while Mrs Sore Finger and Sore Finger Junior could be seen just going about their everyday domestic life in the background. It was their front room with an added fish'n'chip counter basically. Sorely missed :down:
We often drank in The Nightingale or The Edinburgh after the Goldstone. A trip to Sing Li's was effectively an admission that the "Leo Sayer" was over and you were most certainly not going clubbing. Two minutes in that queue left you with a smell that even an erection section minger wouldn't have stomached.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here