[Football] Football disorder reaches eight-year high...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62989792

Arrests and reported incidents of disorder at football matches in England and Wales last season were at their highest level for eight years.

There were 2,198 football-related arrests, the highest number since the 2013-14 season, according to Home Office figures.

The 2021-22 campaign saw the return of capacity crowds after a year of Covid-19 restrictions.

Last season's disorder included players being approached after pitch invasions.

A fan was jailed after running on to a pitch and headbutting Sheffield United captain Billy Sharp at the end of Nottingham Forest's play-off match against the Blades.

A Manchester City fan who ran onto the pitch and taunted Aston Villa keeper Robin Olsen on the final day at Etihad Stadium received a four-year football banning order.

More reported incidents and more arrests - key stats:
-Incidents were reported at more than half of all matches (53%) - 1,609 of the 3,019 matches played
-In 2018-19 - the last full season before Covid-19 restrictions - there were reported incidents at 1,007 matches, equivalent to one-third of the games played
-It means reported incidents were up by 60% last season compared with 2018-19
-There were 441 pitch invasions reported last season - up by 127% on 2018-19
-Football-related arrests were up 59% - the highest number of arrests since 2,273 were made in 2013-14

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The clubs have got together to announce tougher curbs on flares, pitch invasions, drug use. My sense is that they will have to go further. Stadium bans are an ineffective deterrent.

Like in the 80s, unrest in football is linked to problems in society such as inequality, disenfranchisement, disillusionment. Both will get much worse before they get better.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
516 new banning orders were issued

The most reported types of incidents were pyrotechnics (729 matches where incidents were reported), throwing missiles (561) and public order or anti-social behaviour incidents involving youth supporters (444).

It follows recent comments by England internationals Jordan Henderson and Eric Dier, who both say there is an issue with fan behaviour at football.

Tottenham's Dier says he feels "too uncomfortable" for his family to attend away matches, while Liverpool captain Henderson says his family's experiences could "put them off going to future games".

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
What the bare figures need is some context. What constitutes a 'football related incident'? Has the bar for arrests been lowered? Etc etc

From my admittedly limited perspective, I've been going to games for over 50 years and don't think I've ever seen less 'disorder' at matches certainly violence has been all but eradicated.

Did seem to be a real increase in pitch invasions mind.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Of course you don't want to see any disorder at the football (unless you're into that sort of thing) but 2,198 arrests sounds quite small when you consider the total attendance across the 92 grounds for an entire season must be will into the hundreds and hundreds of thousands.

Quoted as c40million attending professional matches per season by Jordan on TS just now.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Wow! I had 5m in my head - had no idea it would be that high.

Total capacity of the premier league grounds is approx 800k - they all play 18 home games a season and mostly sell those out. You've got about 15mil attendances right there. Add in cups etc and of course the other 3 leagues it doesn't seem like a bad estimate.\

In which perspective, a couple of thousand arrests is small fry.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I'm actually quite surprised that it was as high as it is now back in 2014. Perhaps its more prevalent or being reported on more, but it feels to me like there is far more "disorder" now than there has been in the 15 or so years I've been watching football. As has been touched on previously in the thread, 2000~ arrests in circa 40m attendees actually seems relatively good.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
B0B738FD-8D48-4C2F-9FB4-7356C2B92C7B.png

Hammers are the toughest.

373BA1FD-5891-4BD5-BBA1-0E8A49FB8ECF.png

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I'm actually quite surprised that it was as high as it is now back in 2014. Perhaps its more prevalent or being reported on more, but it feels to me like there is far more "disorder" now than there has been in the 15 or so years I've been watching football. As has been touched on previously in the thread, 2000~ arrests in circa 40m attendees actually seems relatively good.

Could also be a change of policy where infringements ( on the pitch) we’re tolerated before and not accepted upon.

Of course there’s obviously a problem with general society where cocaine use is on the rise so this will have a part to play. Easy to through this at football than a society problem of course

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Quite fine margins. If there is a season where perhaps 2 or 3 clubs more than usual have a problem (like fans hating the board) with fans in the legal sense, it can probably have a big impact. Or if there's more rival teams than usual playing in the same division. Things like game schedules also play a role.

While it is interesting to think about how changes in society reflects on changes in these numbers, there's also a lot of random factors playing in.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62989792

Arrests and reported incidents of disorder at football matches in England and Wales last season were at their highest level for eight years.

There were 2,198 football-related arrests, the highest number since the 2013-14 season, according to Home Office figures.

The 2021-22 campaign saw the return of capacity crowds after a year of Covid-19 restrictions.

Last season's disorder included players being approached after pitch invasions.

A fan was jailed after running on to a pitch and headbutting Sheffield United captain Billy Sharp at the end of Nottingham Forest's play-off match against the Blades.

A Manchester City fan who ran onto the pitch and taunted Aston Villa keeper Robin Olsen on the final day at Etihad Stadium received a four-year football banning order.

More reported incidents and more arrests - key stats:
-Incidents were reported at more than half of all matches (53%) - 1,609 of the 3,019 matches played
-In 2018-19 - the last full season before Covid-19 restrictions - there were reported incidents at 1,007 matches, equivalent to one-third of the games played
-It means reported incidents were up by 60% last season compared with 2018-19
-There were 441 pitch invasions reported last season - up by 127% on 2018-19
-Football-related arrests were up 59% - the highest number of arrests since 2,273 were made in 2013-14

It's either a blip on a low baseline, or yet more evidence of the uselessness of the tory government.

And just because it has nothing to do with the tory government, I think that you, me laddio, need to prove to me that they aren't useless ???

(Thanks to [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] for the framework for the narrative)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports