Football "banter" with plastic Prem fans

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
For exactly the same reason I'm a Brighton fan.

Her Dad, who was from Salford, is a Man Utd fan. I was born in Rochdale, my Dad was from Brighton and i'd have been raised a Brighton fan even if we'd remained up north.

I don't think Reily is a good example of a plastic fan if you are raised to be a fan of a club you've got family ties to etc.

Zoe Ball is a much better example of a plastic, started out supporting Liverpool, and then changed to the red mancs, when the scousers turned crap.
I don't know who she supports now.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
For exactly the same reason I'm a Brighton fan.

Her Dad, who was from Salford, is a Man Utd fan. I was born in Rochdale, my Dad was from Brighton and i'd have been raised a Brighton fan even if we'd remained up north.

I don't think Reily is a good example of a plastic fan if you are raised to be a fan of a club you've got family ties to etc.

Fair point, although sometimes I get the feeling that people choose the team first and then look for the family ties. I play football with a bloke who was born in North London, lived in Southamption and supports Man U because his grandma was from Manchester.

Maybe this is why researching one's family tree is so popular!

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
There were Arsenal fans scattered all over the ground. With enough being blatant about it to piss me and others off. I do not want that again when we play the likes of Man Utd etc. So give me 'plastic' BHA fans over that any day.

You'll probably get a bit of this, especially with tickets finding their way to away 'fans' via ticketing websites. Plastics can't be relied on to sit on their hands so the stewards need to be on hand to get them ejected.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Reading this thread is embarrassing, come across as a bunch of snobs.
I would prefer being surrounded by 'new' Albion fans than the nightmare of that Arsenal cup game a couple of years back. Closest I've come to being thrown out a game for about 20 years, no thanks to that again.

I agree, there was an Arsenal fan behind us in the family stand. Obnoxious and with that sense of arrogant entitlement.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Just watching Fiona Phillips:The Truth About Stress on catchup where she states she's a Chelsea fan. Just looking at her Wiki page you couldn't get more plastic.

"Phillips is a supporter of Chelsea F.C. although she followed her home town club, Southampton F.C. when she was younger before dropping them and proclaiming to support a more successful team."

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Just watching Fiona Phillips:The Truth About Stress on catchup where she states she's a Chelsea fan. Just looking at her Wiki page you couldn't get more plastic.

"Phillips is a supporter of Chelsea F.C. although she followed her home town club, Southampton F.C. when she was younger before dropping them and proclaiming to support a more successful team."

cringe! :facepalm:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

There's a kid at my son's cricket club like this. His dad (who is a nice guy but entirely to blame) is a Wednesday fan but he's allowed the kid to switch to Chelsea for no apparent reason.

He even takes him to some Chelsea home matches although they live in Sheffield. Apparently "it doesn't cost much more".

This season, as my son has been having friendly banter with the other Wednesday supporters in his team, this kid has completely eschewed all support for them and has just gone on about Chelsea winning the title.

Rewind a season and he was the first to point out how "we" beat "you" in the playoffs..... Fortunately my lad just laughs at him.

I despair though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fair point, although sometimes I get the feeling that people choose the team first and then look for the family ties. I play football with a bloke who was born in North London, lived in Southamption and supports Man U because his grandma was from Manchester.
He's a tw@.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports