Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Folding Bike Advice

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Can someone give me advice on purchasing a folding bike. I want one for commuting around town but also to stick in the car boot to take on holiday and cruise around on country roads etc. Obviously Brompton springs to mind but has anyone had experience of them or other more suitable makes I might consider. Thanks in anticipation.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I know several people who have them. The answer is always Brompton - I was told not to even consider anything else.

It's more expensive but they're built to last.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Bromptons really aren't made for 'cruising round country roads'. The wheels are too small for that sort of riding. You can get folding bikes with 26" wheels that are more suited to general riding, but I don't know how big your car boot is! Have a look at Dahon as an alternative.

Whatever 'style' you decide on, make sure you ride 3 or 4 different types before you buy. You only really understand the bike when you're riding it, and minor differences can have big effects on comfort, feel and ease of use. Take them up and down hills if you can too. Also make sure you can fold it and unfold it quickly and easily in the shop before riding, otherwise it'll just be a pain in the arse and you won't use it!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Dahon are good at folding, might even do it if you cycle over a bump.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Got to be a Brompton. Nothing else comes close apparently.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Beware the Dahon, unless things have improved greatly in the last few years they are one of the hardest bikes to get fixed. Loads of unique parts but no way of getting hold of them if you need them. Buy a Brompton and be done with it, the only folding bike that is made to a high enough standard to make it worth spending your money on.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like a Brompton then. I am still worried that they use 3 gear Sturmey Archers. I seem to remember them from years ago. Will they really get me up a steep hill.

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
I have a Brompton, I use it for my cycle from Hackney to the West End for work, one of the best purchases I have made. The build quality is excellent, which obviously comes at a price. I have the S2L two-speed version which is great for the flats of London, not sure how suited it would be to the hills in Brighton

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
I've been riding a Dahon Speed Pro for a few years, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it (both brand and model). On the occasions when I've needed parts, these have been easy to obtain via a dealer in Wiltshire (who purchased the entire spares inventory of the previous importer/distributor a few years ago). By my reckoning, it's lighter than a Brompton, and comes with a three-speed hub AND a 7/8 speed rear cassette (using SRAM's Dual-Drive technology), which makes it quick on both flat and adept at tackling the hilliest terrain. I've noticed it doesn't fold into quite as compact a shape as a Brompton, but I've never had any problems taking it on public transport (or slinging it - gently - into the boot of the car).

As an alternative, there is a relatively new make on the market called Tern. This has been set-up by the son of the founder of Dahon (after a family row!), and they've released some nice models (I've got my coveting eye on a Verge).

Oct 25, 2005
Hangleton
I've got a Mezzo (slightly cheaper than Brompton but well-regarded) and I'm really pleased with it. Nice and compact when folded and gets me up the steep hills on my commute home...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here