Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Fly tipping - it's rubbish

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Best litterpicking i ever did was coming down from the Himalayas around Darjeeling. A friend and I went to Calcutta and Darj and then hiked for 4 nights (basically crossing into old Nepal). Because she was a big girl (but not a Big girl) we had to hire a porter/guide for luggage. Little bloke carrying 30kg or so. I felt bit silly (I'm 6'5 and have trekked Langtang and the Annapurnas without guides/porters before) so we decided to litter pick on the way down. Loved it and collected loads from the trail and left it at rubbish collections spots in villages and the end point. Not perfect but helped keep the trail looking better and loved it. Happy times (she's dead sadly, took her own life some years after, silly sausage I know she'd regret doing it afterwards. Some people are just broken and can't be fixed). Sorry for the digression, this thread just reminded me of it. Helps to sometimes write about her and the cool times we had together.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm on the Brighton Volunteer Tidy Up Team (run by a member of the council). We spent a day clearing up fly tipped rubbish by the end of the allotments which are behind Brighton Woodvale Crem. Hard work (mostly with a bunch of old ladies, where the hell are young voulnteers?). Didn't take long for it all to reappear (with masses of tyres dumped). At the time I questioned to the council organiser why there was no fencing added here - reply was that cctv was secretly put in. Seems pointless to me when prosecutions are rare, just put a proper fence up!
Recently, again with two old ladies in their 70s, litterpicked Pav Gardens behind the cafe - 100s of glass booze bottles chucked over behind the long row of wooden benches opposite the theatre. Cleared it into the glass recycle bins on North St. Days later, many more bottles dumped by the alcoholic, spice and heroin addicts that congregate there.
All rather disheartening when you are trying to make the area you live in better. Unfortunately, too many wankers around nowadays. Always were but the proportion seems much higher in recent times.
One comfort, genuinely, it's nice for me hearing that others are all doing the same. I've taught my kids to never litter, my 18 year old daughter sometimes helps me on clear ups.

I'd be interested if the Greens or Labour locally at the next elections have any tangible plans on litter and fly-tipping i.e. not bullsh1t on pre-election propaganda. I hope so.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Best litterpicking i ever did was coming down from the Himalayas around Darjeeling. A friend and I went to Calcutta and Darj and then hiked for 4 nights (basically crossing into old Nepal). Because she was a big girl we had to hire a porter/guide for luggage. Little bloke carrying 30kg or so. I felt bit silly (I'm 6'5 and have trekked Langtang and the Annapurnas without guides/porters before) so we decided to litter pick on the way down. Loved it and collected loads from the trail and left it at rubbish collections spots in villages and the end point. Not perfect but helped keep the trail looking better and loved it. Happy times (she's dead sadly, took her own life some years after, silly sausage I know she'd regret doing it afterwards. Some people are just broken and can't be fixed). Sorry for the digression, this thread just reminded me of it. Helps to sometimes write about her.
You're a kind person :smile:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
When I take Mrs ETM out on a drive into the lovely English countryside, I expect to see things like trees, lambs, fields, hedges, rivers etc.

What I don't expect or want to see, is a pile of rubbish dumped by some **** because he wants to make a few more quid on a job by not paying the fee for trade waste at the local council tip.
I'm no eco-warrior, but each time I go anywhere out of Brighton, I see fly-tipping. It's a blot on the landscape. Either the charges to use the local tip are too high, the fines for fly-tipping are too low, or attitudes of both tradesmen and customers need to change.

What's the answer?

1. Make it free for the tradesmen? Take away the incentive to dump the rubbish in the country, because it won't cost them anything to dump it at the tip? There is a cost anyway of course. This would transfer the cost from the business to the council taxpayer. Not ideal.
2. Make the fines for fly-tipping much more severe, so that the individual dumping is risking his livelihood? I'm talking a steeply escalating scale of fines for repeat offenders, confiscation of vehicles etc.
3. Something else? Re-use of all waste materials somehow? Burial of all waste material on site? Ok, that's probably a pipe-dream.

I don't know which, if any, of the above would work. But something needs to change.
Burn them. Burn the witches.

1678210197108.png

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
One comfort, genuinely, it's nice for me hearing that others are all doing the same. I've taught my kids to never litter, my 18 year old daughter sometimes helps me on clear ups.

I'd be interested if the Greens or Labour locally at the next elections have any tangible plans on litter and fly-tipping i.e. not bullsh1t on pre-election propaganda. I hope so.
I still do it now and again but I have to admit that I get very disilliusioned sometimes and think it's pointless, it just reappears so quickly. And there is a massive graffiti problem recently in Brighton. Some awful (and large ) tagging on people's homes and fences. Utter scum these types (and I say while that still being a fan of proper artists like Richard Hambleton and Aero).

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I'm having problems typing replies to posts (Mods are aware and trying to help). The beachcleans I help to run are with the other Surfers Against Sewage reps. You can find about them here

Last year, SAS nationally cleared over a Million Miles of beach, river, canal, park and mountain.

The Volunteer Tidy Up team (& other groups like the Deans Beach and Environment team) do a great job as well and the Council TBF do help - there are caches of bags and grabbers that community groups can access.
Education, enforcement and legislation all have their part to play.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
In the early 90s I worked for a small company, we took all the trade waste to Hove tip. They had set charges for the size of the van going into the tip, I don’t remember it being expensive.

As a self employed tradesman I can’t do what we did in the 90s. If I want to carry trade waste in my van I have to have a waste carriers licence, this licence is the same cost as someone that does waste clearance as a business.
I would also have to go to a tip that takes trade waste and pay.

I don’t have a licence or use my van as a skip, if I have any waste I use a very good licensed waste collection company.
Some of my customers do take the trade waste to the tip themselves (hopefully) but as mentioned in this thread the council tip charges for some items, I think it’s £6.00 for a toilet and another £6.00 for a cistern.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In the early 90s I worked for a small company, we took all the trade waste to Hove tip. They had set charges for the size of the van going into the tip, I don’t remember it being expensive.

As a self employed tradesman I can’t do what we did in the 90s. If I want to carry trade waste in my van I have to have a waste carriers licence, this licence is the same cost as someone that does waste clearance as a business.

I don’t have a licence or use my van as a skip, if I have any waste I use a very good licensed waste collection company.
Some of my customers do take the trade waste to the tip themselves (hopefully) but as mentioned in this thread the council tip charges for some items, I think it’s £6.00 for a toilet and another £6.00 for a cistern.
I’m allowed to takeaway stuff i cut without a license but then use a licensed carrier to take it to a ‘green’ site

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Simply this, it would make a big difference.

There would still be fly tipping, there are plenty of lazy scum in this country without care for community. 6 months minimum imprisonment if caught. It's not a victimless crime - plastics break up and reach water courses or the sea eventually, farmers have to deal with the cost, animals are harmed by some waste.
Cut off their goolies.

As it happens I drove from Canterbury to Dover a few days ago and most of the side of the road in the last 5 miles is strewn with litter, presumably from one of the allegedly regular lorry queues. It's on the verge and blown into bushes. For a moment I was taken back to visits to communist Czechoslovakia, and I half expected to see rusting abandoned Trabants on the hard shoulder.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Fly tippers are customers in waiting for the woodchipper as far as I am concerned.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
The entire A23 northbound to Handcross Hill seems strewn with litter.

Waste disposal charges have been carefully and deliberately going up to drive waste up the waste hierarchy (dispose>recycle (Inc incinerate with energy recovery)>reuse>reduce) for years, driven by EU laws. There is an increasing emphasis on promoting the 'circular economy' whereby things get dismantled and repurposed.
More info here

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The LibDems in Newhaven often organise a litter pick on the A26, up to Beddingham, and I know a group (not political) in Seaford clean the beach regularly.
When I go for a walk along Seaford prom, I always pick up any plastic washed in by the tide.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I was wondering at potential solutions and thought perhaps there could be something a bit like the smartwater stuff you can use to trace stolen items. Maybe people could voluntarily put similarly identifiable microscopic tokens in with any waste they have to dispose of when contracting someone to take it away and if it is fly tipped it can be traced back to the contractor. Effectively tagging your waste and making it traceable.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Cut off their goolies.

As it happens I drove from Canterbury to Dover a few days ago and most of the side of the road in the last 5 miles is strewn with litter, presumably from one of the allegedly regular lorry queues. It's on the verge and blown into bushes. For a moment I was taken back to visits to communist Czechoslovakia, and I half expected to see rusting abandoned Trabants on the hard shoulder.
Comrade, we visited the Communist era museum in Prague, it was fascinating.

6C69F1ED-2FA7-42E9-81EF-AE4938BA7B1C.jpeg

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

I've been using Brighton Waste Solutions for years now, reasonably priced. As you say sometimes the customers get rid of it themselves, or I've been known to take a toilet or two up the tip in my car (don't tell the misses) never been charged though. Or I wait until I get a job at a local school and chuck some bags in their skip, give the caretakers a drink at Xmas to turn a blind eye...
Btw I just got Mike's bathroom job in Peacehaven accepted so thanks for the recommendation 👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here