Brighton

Attachments

• KW 11.png
    KW 11.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
RIP Florian. A musical god, he made people happy.

I’ve loved the band since primary school, when a friend brought the Autobahn album into school (his Dad got it on a business trip to Germany). Other than Jarre, I had to wait until the late 70’s when synth music really kicked off. Every band without fail mentioned Kraftwerk as THE influence.

Whilst Ralf, Florian (and various other band members) continued throughout releasing their own completely unique and stunning music. I was lucky enough to see them at the Dome in 81.

I was at the dome. Fantastic gig. They passed little calculator keyboards to the crowd at the front to play. Saw them last at the Tate gallery series doing a run through of computer world. We had 4 tickets and could have sold them for silly money but I thought my teenage sons would enjoy it. They still speak about it today. Was due to see them in Victoria park next month. How crap has May been so far. RIP Florian.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was at the dome. Fantastic gig. They passed little calculator keyboards to the crowd at the front to play. Saw them last at the Tate gallery series doing a run through of computer world. We had 4 tickets and could have sold them for silly money but I thought my teenage sons would enjoy it. They still speak about it today. Was due to see them in Victoria park next month. How crap has May been so far. RIP Florian.

Channel surfing on cable TV a few short years ago I came across on Sky Arts (I think it was) with an incredible Kraftwerk gig before a huge audience in Hamburg. Not an old gig, this century. Couldn’t believe my luck, it was immense on a large screen. Not just the music, but the synchronised light show and graphic behind the band.

ps Isn’t it lovely when your kids love your music. My son thinks music was better then.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Nice. Glad you took your kids.

As you may well know, Florian left Kraftwerk a few years back. Reasonable chance of them rescheduling the Victoria Park gig for next summer, I would think.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
ps Isn’t it lovely when your kids love your music. My son thinks music was better then.

When my kids were little, they loved Man Machine. I used to put in and they'd march around the room singing We are the robots. Now they just listen to dance music - I wonder if they'll rediscover the joys of Kraftwerk.

I was lucky to see Kraftwerk with Florian still with them - at Brixton Academy (I think Wozza was at the same gig). It was absolutely superb. I saw them at the Tate a few years later but he'd left them by then. At least I still have the albums

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When my kids were little, they loved Man Machine. I used to put in and they'd march around the room singing We are the robots. Now they just listen to dance music - I wonder if they'll rediscover the joys of Kraftwerk.

I was lucky to see Kraftwerk with Florian still with them - at Brixton Academy (I think Wozza was at the same gig). It was absolutely superb. I saw them at the Tate a few years later but he'd left them by then. At least I still have the albums

My only gig was the 1981 Brighton Dome, but it was the main line up.

On the kids front, luckily for me I love and still love most dance music, definitely more than them!

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Genuinely saddened by this news.

So the story goes, Kraftwerk took all steps necessary to eliminate any unnecessary noise in their studio, and this included having a phone with no ring. They would, however, always pick up the phone at 4pm every day so if anyone needed to speak to them, that was the time to call.

Also, New Order sampled their track 'Uranium' without asking to use on Blue Monday - and were worried when they recieved a message that KW wanted 'to speak to them'. They plucked up the courage to get in touch, and were to relieved to find out that all they wanted was to know how they'd done the stuttering drum beat on the intro.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

That's my favourite Kraftwerk gig...

Were you at the 8pm or the 12.30am show?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's my favourite Kraftwerk gig...

Were you at the 8pm or the 12.30am show?

The 12.30 one - can't remember how I got home, I think I walked to Tooting. What a gig that was.

Do I have a false memory or where Brighton playing at QPR that day? I had a party in west London that evening and I seem to remember going there from the football? (and leaving to go to the gig - ah, for the days before I had kids!)

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
The 12.30 one - can't remember how I got home, I think I walked to Tooting. What a gig that was.

Do I have a false memory or where Brighton playing at QPR that day? I had a party in west London that evening and I seem to remember going there from the football? (and leaving to go to the gig - ah, for the days before I had kids!)

That's the one I went to...Hired a car for the one and only time in the UK and managed to park it outside Brixton police station...Remember Florian being last on the stage after Music Non Stop saying 'Good night and good morning'...

Way better than the recent 3D concerts imo, although they were still great...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's the one I went to...Hired a car for the one and only time in the UK and managed to park it outside Brixton police station...Remember Florian being last on the stage after Music Non Stop saying 'Good night and good morning'...

That's right, he did.

Here's the setlist for the early show - I imagine it would be the same as the late onehttps://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kraftwerk/2004/carling-academy-brixton-london-england-63d6ce6b.html

One of my top three gigs of all time

I was wrong about us playing in London though - we beat Colchester 2-1 at home that day - I was probably at that and travelled back to London straight after

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Way better than the recent 3D concerts imo, although they were still great...

I liked their occasional and subtle humour. I remember the Autobahn car struggled to start at one gig I went to. I also remember little LED lights briefly illuminating on all their ties and a brief and quite stilted dance by, I think, Schneider.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

June 27 1981. What a gig. One of those moments when you thought you'd seen it all and then realised there was a completely different way to do music.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
June 27 1981. What a gig. One of those moments when you thought you'd seen it all and then realised there was a completely different way to do music.

I wondered how it was that I didn't see them in 1981. I was still at uni oop North when they played Brighton and London - and they didn't play Bradford or Leeds. Computer Love must have been my most played albums that spring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here