flexi4 package

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You're being very fair to him there. They would almost certainly have gone up, there was no other reason for that wording. I guess we'll see if and when the same situation arises again. I certainly hope prices would have gone down if we had been relegated.

I'm not arguing against your suggested likely outcome, I'm merely correcting you when you said Barber said the prices would go up in the PL. He didn't. He didn't say anything in fact. The club told us, via the renewal package, that prices would be reviewed. As they also did when relegation was a possibility.

I guess "Club have said they will lower prices if we get relegated" doesn't fit the agenda here though, right?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
1. I'm not going to rush off and check them all, but how many Prem season tickets actually ARE cheaper than the Albion's, if you factor in that they are for 19 rather than 23 matches? Every time such discussions come up on here, it seems that someone will trot out nonsense figures comparing our highest priced, with the cheapest elsewhere.

2. Ultimately it comes down to the subjective notion of 'value'. The facilities, and peripherals are all factors, but ultimately a lot of people will base 'value' on the results / entertainment on the pitch. If the club get that wrong consistently, that's when figures will dip. 20,000 renewals this season after a poor season, suggests faith they have the balance right. I'm absolutely convinced that we'll sell more tickets at these prices to watch a succesful Albion team, than at 15% less to watch a shit one - which is excatly what we'll get if you did so.

On 1. Clearly it has to be like for like to be meaningful, many PL prices are higher, just as they are for us. I do believe that the entry point price (ie lowest) is important for fans, the top-price/more corporate market will take care of itself and I am less bothered about them anyway. The club has to be bothered, it's a great revenue stream, but I am more sympathetic to the decisions faced by ordinary fans, STH or otherwise.

On 2. Pretty much agree with most of that, I thought 20,000 renewals was very good given the price of some STs and our dismal season last time. I don't think the value you're talking about is present in the individual matchday prices, which is why I welcome this Flexi4 initiative. And let's face it, we want to fill the place up and create new fans. The real test of your theory on crowds/team/prices is relegation, let's hope we don't get to see it but they would have needed that contingency plan last season.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not arguing against your suggested likely outcome, I'm merely correcting you when you said Barber said the prices would go up in the PL. He didn't. He didn't say anything in fact. The club told us, via the renewal package, that prices would be reviewed. As they also did when relegation was a possibility.

I guess "Club have said they will lower prices if we get relegated" doesn't fit the agenda here though, right?

Why are you always so quick to defend the club from any criticism/debate these days?

It's not even being critical per se of what happened, it would happen at a lot of clubs, but this is semantics. He is the CEO. A sensitive clause like that in the renewal letter was either his policy, or he signed it off - I cannot conceive of a situation in which he wouldn't have been aware, he runs the club. And as HKFC said, ticket revenue is a much more important stream for Championship clubs than PL clubs.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
On 1. Clearly it has to be like for like to be meaningful, many PL prices are higher, just as they are for us. I do believe that the entry point price (ie lowest) is important for fans, the top-price/more corporate market will take care of itself and I am less bothered about them anyway. The club has to be bothered, it's a great revenue stream, but I am more sympathetic to the decisions faced by ordinary fans, STH or otherwise.

On 2. Pretty much agree with most of that, I thought 20,000 renewals was very good given the price of some STs and our dismal season last time. I don't think the value you're talking about is present in the individual matchday prices, which is why I welcome this Flexi4 initiative. And let's face it, we want to fill the place up and create new fans. The real test of your theory on crowds/team/prices is relegation, let's hope we don't get to see it but they would have needed that contingency plan last season.

That's all fair.

I get very frustrated by these threads when you read stuff like 'it costs £36 to watch, so I'm not going', when there are £23 tickets or whatever, available.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why are you always so quick to defend the club from any criticism/debate these days?

I'm not. I think you're getting confused with me:

1. Disagreeing with you that "the Albion some season ticket holders seem to have just got used to paying too much" as I don't think that our season tickets are too much. Of course, I'd like to pay less if I could, but I believe that what I pay is decent value. The direct debit facility also assists affordability considerably. I'm not sure whether I'd be able to afford my adult and u18 season tickets if I had to find a lump sum of c£800. I also agree with you in that a single match ticket always strikes me as expensive and I'd be picking my games very carefully if I had to pay those prices.

2. Correcting you on your assertion that Paul Barber said something (when he didn't) and neither did the club. I agreed with what you believe to be the likely outcome of what was actually said however. I also thought it relevant to highlight the club said the very same (season ticket prices to be reviewed) should we be relegated.

I'm often critical of elements of the club, both on here and in my personal communications direct to the club. You won't see the latter, obviously, and you may miss the former if I'm not replying to you directly.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not. I think you're getting confused with me:

1. Disagreeing with you that "the Albion some season ticket holders seem to have just got used to paying too much" as I don't think that our season tickets are too much. Of course, I'd like to pay less if I could, but I believe that what I pay is decent value. The direct debit facility also assists affordability considerably. I'm not sure whether I'd be able to afford my adult and u18 season tickets if I had to find a lump sum of c£800. I also agree with you in that a single match ticket always strikes me as expensive and I'd be picking my games very carefully if I had to pay those prices.

2. Correcting you on your assertion that Paul Barber said something (when he didn't) and neither did the club. I agreed with what you believe to be the likely outcome of what was actually said however. I also thought it relevant to highlight the club said the very same (season ticket prices to be reviewed) should we be relegated.

I'm often critical of elements of the club, both on here and in my personal communications direct to the club. You won't see the latter, obviously, and you may miss the former if I'm not replying to you directly.

Well, I'll stand corrected on 2 - I'm pretty sure I saw it in the programme at the time as well, but I don't want to misquote him or the club. If the statement was 'there will be a pricing review if we go up' I think we all interpret that in the same way, but it is not the same so thanks for clarifying. I'm not holding that up as some big stick to beat him with, many clubs would do the same, it was just to highlight the difference with Derby's stated policy - we hinted prices might go up, they pledged a reduction with the TV money windfall.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As a footnote on the Derby offer, its worth noting that whilst they offered to refund 50% in the event they went up (which of course they didn't) the announcement was made on the release of their INCREASED prices for this season.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It's a pretty good scheme for people like me, a non season ticket holder who lives in Wales. I can't get there for every game, so any reduction on the match day ticket price is helpful. A good idea.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
As a footnote on the Derby offer, its worth noting that whilst they offered to refund 50% in the event they went up (which of course they didn't) the announcement was made on the release of their INCREASED prices for this season.

Maybe they're doing it every year now - the one I remember was March 2014. Seems like it's cursing their chances.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Maybe they're doing it every year now - the one I remember was March 2014. Seems like it's cursing their chances.

Having made the offer (you have to renew by MARCH to qualify) once, it would take some justifying, to NOT repeat it each year.

Interesting to see their stance if they were ten points clear at the top, come 1st March.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Having made the offer (you have to renew by MARCH to qualify) once, it would take some justifying, to NOT repeat it each year.

Interesting to see their stance if they were ten points clear at the top, come 1st March.

There also must be a 'cut-off' point in the table/points total on March 1 where you judge it looks too ridiculous to publish the offer...

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
So, this latest club initiative has reduced prices but still stops Das Reich going to matches. Have I got this right?

Still a Brighton fan but not a lover of the modern football model,just because i support the Albion does not mean i am unable to see the bigger picture,happy to pop along to the Albion when a £20 ticket is knocking about,managed this 4 times last season 2 draws 2 wins! Maybe if more people adopted this attitude entrance fees would come down.If Germany can make it work i'm sure we could(a few more quid swilling around from sky in this country) I'm not sure just falling in with the lickers helps tbh,Brighton have got so much right fantastic ground,huge crowds,brilliant board and our best ever pr machine but still losing millions each year.Can you see the problem?:moo:

PS I love the sad agent provocateur bit:moo:

I was going to engage you in a conversation about the laws of demand and supply and SKY's distorting impact across the football leagues but when you resort to such sad old hackneyed epithets then it would be clearly a waste of time.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 144

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Football in the top two divisions in this country is hideously overpriced for one off games and it's disgraceful. But it is every club no one's being unilaterally magnanimous.

You can blame greedy players, their agents and, above all SKY. You can also blame, to an extent, the very old skool grounds I sometimes lament. They had become such a death trap that 96 people died in one as recently as 1989 if anyone needs reminding. Modernising was needed and that costs money. Calling for safe standing? That'll cost too. Don't expect the Quataris and Thais to pay for that.

I don't like what walk up people are charged at the Albion or anywhere else. My view at Fulham was TERRIBLE considering what I paid for it. Would I have changed a second of that day out? Hell no, one of my favourite away trips ever. And *grits teeth* the Albion DO have season ticket pricing and travel subsidies bang on. As Bozza says that's why we sell circe 20k.

P.S. apologies for the long words, I was hoping to send Das off for a dictionary.

REGARDS
GB

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well, I'll stand corrected on 2 - I'm pretty sure I saw it in the programme at the time as well, but I don't want to misquote him or the club. If the statement was 'there will be a pricing review if we go up' I think we all interpret that in the same way, but it is not the same so thanks for clarifying. I'm not holding that up as some big stick to beat him with, many clubs would do the same, it was just to highlight the difference with Derby's stated policy - we hinted prices might go up, they pledged a reduction with the TV money windfall.

I'm completely onside with the sentiment. I would love to see the Albion, should we achieve promotion, come out and offer a partial refund to season ticket holders due to the massive windfall due - a "You supported us - have something back" gesture. Maybe even tie the size of the refund to the length of time a season ticket has been held for.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm completely onside with the sentiment. I would love to see the Albion, should we achieve promotion, come out and offer a partial refund to season ticket holders due to the massive windfall due - a "You supported us - have something back" gesture. Maybe even tie the size of the refund to the length of time a season ticket has been held for.

People would still moan.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Yes please, they'd be paying me *uber fan*.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

People would still moan.

Yes please, they'd be paying me *uber fan*.

"It's not fair, I had one for years at the Goldstone. I shouldn't be penailsed just because I let it lapse for 15 years. I still went to loads of away games. And I bought the Withdean Years DVD"

etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports