Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That is not the issue. The issue is about explosive devices, or snakes, which could detonate when opened ( ie stewards sniffing the contents for alcohol etc. )

Whether you believe this threat is worth a flask ban is a matter of opinion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That is not the issue. The issue is about explosive devices, which could detonate when opened ( ie stewards sniffing the contents for alcohol etc. )

Whether you believe this threat is worth a flask ban is a matter of opinion.

If a terrorist wanted to detonate a device and cause untold carnage, he wouldn't even have to try to get into the ground. He could stroll up to the Amex with his vest packed with explosives at the end of the game, head for one of the exits, and detonate. Or just stand in the train queue. So why we are all of a sudden targeting flasks as the potential harbringers of our impending doom is a bit of a nonsense IMO. You could probably smuggle an improvised explosive device inside a tube of Pringles. Where there's a will, there's a way. Should Pringles be banned from the stadium as well ? What about shoes, shouldn't we be taking those off before we're allowed in ? Where do we stop ?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This thread sums up everything wrong with people these days.

Can you not read between the lines. We was told at the start of the season to be more vigilant for terror threats. We are now search every game at the Amex and very ground around the country.

The club then bans flasks for security reasons, and everyone goes in meltdown because they can't go 120 minutes without a cup of tea!!!

What would happen is an attack happened and there was intell. How many on this thread would go into meltdown at the club for not warning us.

What is the club allowed white over 50s to bring in flasks, but anyone with dark skin were banned!!! Again, hysteria.

Do you want stewards telling people its because on heighten security or terror alerts, and that it may because of acid or bomb threats. That would go down well in front of the kids wouldn't it.

SO lets just trust the club on this one, and stop these embarrassing threads. If only so much energy was put into real issues then this world would be a much nicer place.

138 signatures on the petition. Says it all.

Another one who is unaffected and so doesn't care. I am only repeating what stewards who were given the task of telling folk on matchday.

This thread sums up everything that's wrong with people these days. Less of the hysteria please. The club could be a little more clear in their message and then I am sure no-one would mind.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That is not 'clearly nonsense' to me I have been tacitly told by two stewards that this is the case. I am open to the possibility that they are mistaken but something has led them to believe that.

I suspect they are either mistaken or guessing. In order for their views to be taken at face value and given credence, the following must have happened..

PB calls a meeting of all stewards prior to the Man U game and said “Listen up. We’ve decided to ban flasks and its down to you to enforce it. We want you to tell the fans that it’s because of a security issue. And that’s what we’ll be telling them too, through the press and on our website. But... and this is the really funny bit... that’s not the real reason. Oh no. The real reason is because we don’t want them to bring any alcohol into the ground. The “security” thing is just a bluff. I know I can trust you to keep our little secret - there being 300 of you, and all on minimum wage with no other ties to the club and all. We trust you to do the right thing.”

Nah - booze may be a minor secondary reason, but the real reason is security. Bollocks, of course, but there it is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If a terrorist wanted to detonate a device and cause untold carnage, he wouldn't even have to try to get into the ground. He could stroll up to the Amex with his vest packed with explosives at the end of the game, head for one of the exits, and detonate. Or just stand in the train queue. So why we are all of a sudden targeting flasks as the potential harbringers of our impending doom is a bit of a nonsense IMO. You could probably smuggle an improvised explosive device inside a tube of Pringles. Where there's a will, there's a way. Should Pringles be banned from the stadium as well ? What about shoes, shouldn't we be taking those off before we're allowed in ? Where do we stop ?

You can get whatever you want into the stadium by giving it to a child to take in, they aren't searched.
Perhaps children should be banned from the stadium.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
FLASK SONG:

We've got no flasks,
Cause Barber banned the flasks,
He just don't seem to understand,
Bovril, soup and tea,
Are what old people need,
Can't believe Barber banned the flasks.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I suspect they are either mistaken or guessing. In order for their views to be taken at face value and given credence, the following must have happened..

PB calls a meeting of all stewards prior to the Man U game and said “Listen up. We’ve decided to ban flasks and its down to you to enforce it. We want you to tell the fans that it’s because of a security issue. And that’s what we’ll be telling them too, through the press and on our website. But... and this is the really funny bit... that’s not the real reason. Oh no. The real reason is because we don’t want them to bring any alcohol into the ground. The “security” thing is just a bluff. I know I can trust you to keep our little secret - there being 300 of you, and all on minimum wage with no other ties to the club and all. We trust you to do the right thing.”

Nah - booze may be a minor secondary reason, but the real reason is security. Bollocks, of course, but there it is.

You are probably right.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Another one who is unaffected and so doesn't care. I am only repeating what stewards who were given the task of telling folk on matchday.

This thread sums up everything that's wrong with people these days. Less of the hysteria please. The club could be a little more clear in their message and then I am sure no-one would mind.

Another one who thinks only of themselves.

The club said at the start of the season be more vigilant on security issues. They then ban flasks being brought into the ground. Are you that naive that you need them to spell it out any more for you. How much clearer do you want them to be. They have said it is because of security issue. Do we want them to spell it out in minute detail of what every security issue is? I don't!! That sound be enough shouldn't it?

And no, I don't care if someone has to go without their cup of tea, if there is a security issue involved.

Think of the bigger picture.

As I said, 130 signatures. It would appear most people are with the club on this one!!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The club said at the start of the season be more vigilant on security issues. They then ban flasks being brought into the ground. Are you that naive that you need them to spell it out any more for you. How much clearer do you want them to be. They have said it is because of security issue. Do we want them to spell it out in minute detail of what every security issue is? I don't!! That sound be enough shouldn't it?

That isn't what has happened, though. Is it? The club identified that flasks are a health and safety risk prior to the man utd match early August. They are not actually banning them until September. We know this because word was sent out to stewards to let customers know that flasks will not be allowed in from the Fulham game. So, they have identified a risk and think it's perfectly fine to allow that risk to exist at what will be one of our most attended home fixtures this season. They are allowing it at a second home match v Southampton.

If they need to be banned, why wait? Why are they only such a threat from the Fulham game on?
Why just flasks when terrorists have used backpacks in the past - the club statement around their ban for flasks even points out that they are continuing to allow bags when others don't?

Terrorists' aims are to get us to change our way of life through fear. Every time we introduce something in the name of fighting terrorism we are giving them a victory, so should ask ourselves, how necessary is it? With all the vulnerabilities around the stadium, it feels like banning flasks is pointless.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

And no, I don't care if someone has to go without their cup of tea, if there is a security issue involved.

As I said, 130 signatures. It would appear most people are with the club on this one!!!

OK, so let’s ban boots, mobile phones (they can be thrown or used to trigger a bomb), sweets (they may be packed with gunpowder), children (they may have a bomb strapped to them) - yes, all as ridiculous as stopping a few elderly people having the convenience of using a thermos.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

I dont think all season ticket holders are on facebook or whatever the site is with that petition.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
OK, so let’s ban boots, mobile phones (they can be thrown or used to trigger a bomb), sweets (they may be packed with gunpowder), children (they may have a bomb strapped to them) - yes, all as ridiculous as stopping a few elderly people having the convenience of using a thermos.
This is the point. It is obviously a horrible thought but why on earth would a terrorist make a bomb in a thermos flask that could easily get discovered at a relatively sparsely populated turnstile area...?

Ridiculous decision by Barber and his arrogance in dealing with this undervalued group of fans is both typical and very disappointing to say the least.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Paul Barber Bell Cheese alert:

"When I and many of the club’s older fans first started watching football, stadium entry searches were non-existent, fans could consume alcohol in view of the pitch, smoking in the stadium was commonplace, and many fans brought a flask to the match"

Seems a rather strange comment, to compare flasks with drinking alcohol and smoking in stadiums.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
FLASK SONG:

We've got no flasks,
Cause Barber banned the flasks,
He just don't seem to understand,
Bovril, soup and tea,
Are what old people need,
Can't believe Barber banned the flasks.

Not bad.......we can also use the more simple

We've got no flaaaasks
We've got no flaaaasks
We've got no flasks
We've got no flasks
We've got no flaaaasks

Or

We want our thermos back
We want our thermos back
We want our thermos back
We want our thermos back

Or

Ay-ee-ay, Barber banned our thermos
Ay-ee-ay, he stopped us drinking Bovril
Ay-ee-ay, he never gives ****-all awaaaaaaay
1-2-3-4......................

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Paul Barber Bell Cheese alert:

"When I and many of the club’s older fans first started watching football, stadium entry searches were non-existent, fans could consume alcohol in view of the pitch, smoking in the stadium was commonplace, and many fans brought a flask to the match.

:ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here