Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Five substuttes in the Premier League from 2022/23

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Premier League clubs will be able to make five substitutions each game from next season after shareholders agreed to change the rules.

From 2022-23, clubs will be permitted to use five substitutes, to be made on a maximum of three occasions during a match, with an additional opportunity at half-time.

A total of nine substitutes can be named on the teamsheet.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
So a manager can really f*** up his team selection and change half of it.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Got to reward those clubs with huge squads and the riches to afford them.

That is, in effect, probably at least 15 of the 20 clubs in the league. I'm against 5 subs, but it does us as a club no harm given the strength in depth we have in our squad.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Means even more timewasting.

Introduce 5 subs by all means, but introduce a clock (a la Rugby/Basketball) at the same time.

At the moment we get approx. 50 minutes of actual 'ball in play' time

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Suits an excellent reactive manager like GPott down to the ground.

Less so a manager who has actually prepared his team to play from kick off.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I personally think its what saved us during Project Restart. Potter really seemed to get the changes right, and being able to use 5 subs gave him more options.

Introduce 5 subs by all means, but introduce a clock (a la Rugby/Basketball) at the same time.

There won't be any more time wasting because the same rule of 3 windows (plus half time) to make the subs still remains doesn't it?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That is, in effect, probably at least 15 of the 20 clubs in the league. I'm against 5 subs, but it does us as a club no harm given the strength in depth we have in our squad.

Brighton has 17 outfield players with 90+ minutes PL football... not sure I'd call that "strength in depth".

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Aside from injuries, if you feel the need to change half the team during the course of the game, then you've already royally cocked up.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Brighton has 17 outfield players with 90+ minutes PL football... not sure I'd call that "strength in depth".

I would. It's a very expensively assembled squad of players with plenty of experience at this level. I'd be surprised if that stat was correct though, is it really only 17 players? How does that compare with other clubs?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It’s going to just become like rugby where the team with the most strength in depth almost always ends up winning comfortably in the final quarter.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I would. It's a very expensively assembled squad of players with plenty of experience at this level. I'd be surprised if that stat was correct though, is it really only 17 players? How does that compare with other clubs?

Expensive compared to what? The registered squad is the 5th cheapest in the league just behind the newcomers and Burnley.

Not sure how the other stat compares to other clubs but I'm guessing most clubs are closer to 20.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
According to this its 21 players (2 keepers and 19 outfield) with at least 90 mins of PL football. Obviously 2 of those are no longer at the club though.

https://fbref.com/en/squads/d07537b9/Brighton-and-Hove-Albion-Stats

Similar numbers to the top clubs having had a quick check (of City and Liverpool, i couldn't be bothered to go any further)

Yes... so 17 outfield players, just like I said :shrug:. Thought most clubs would be closer to 20 but might not be the case, cant be bothered either.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

It should have been 5 subs but only 3 sub moments to reduce the time wasting nonsense. I can see many a game v Burnley being littered with 5 separate subs in the last 15 minutes. Bonkers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here