Dan Brown
Bill Bryson
Alex Garland
George Orwell.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I've only read up to American Psycho, what's wrong with any later stuff?

Edit, just relaised Glamorama was after Psycho, I thought that was alright.

I just thought he'd said everything he needed to say by the time he got to Psycho. The rest for me has been a triumph of (very good) style over content. Not as 'impactful'.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Dennis Wheatley
Dan Brown
John Masters
Patricia Cornwell
George Orwell

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Audrey kurkov - if you like a bit surreal then I'd suggest either "death and the penguin" about a man living with a penguin he acquired and "a matter of death and life" - about a man who wants to end his life so hires a hit man to do it

Harlan coben
Jeffrey deaver
Terry pratchett
Tom sharpe

Death and the penguin really made me laugh! The sequel was awful.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Dick Francis.
Dick Francis.
Dick Francis.
Dick Francis.
Dick Francis.

I quite like Dick Francis.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Robert Harris
John Grisham
Kate Mosse
Bill Bryson
Maybe Jane Austen or Dickens.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I suspect that it changes from day to day, but right now and in no particular order:

Robertson Davies
David Gemmell
Anne Michaels
Italo Calvino
Randall Munroe

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
By no means definitive but 5 that first sprang to mind:

Louis De Bernieres
Haruki Murakami
George Orwell
Graham Greene
Franz Kafka

I want to squeeze Hemingway and Laurie Lee in there too.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
As I recall, think at the start of the book the author reminds us to stop watching the telly and just enjoy the zany story, maybe you looked into it too deeply? This part of the message no? Who knows, I enjoyed it anyhow.
As for Woolf and some of the naval gazing in her novels...not to mention her elitist comments on the worthlessness of the Working Classes which are somewhat unsavoury, no matter how many literary types try to dress it up. We'll agree to differ, can't argue with Dickens however, he has got many votes, unsurprisingly. His humour and storytelling still put him as a justified favourite.

I think part of my problem with Calvino was that i was forced to study it at university and my Italian was not that good, so i associate him with difficulty. Re Woolf: well, i can't argue with your specific point, but i force myself to ignore those elements. I'm a big fan of modernism.

bernster

Sep 5, 2012
ye olde east sussex
Michel Houellebecq
Bernard Cornwell
Joseph Heller
Douglas Adams(just edged out Terry Pratchett.the dirk gently books swung it for me)
J.G.Ballard
an honourable mention to Robert Tressell.only the one novel but as i have blundered into some sort of career and acquired a mortgage,family etc i have become more conservative(with a small c)in outlook.this novel reminds me,that as an ordinary working man,we still have a long way to go to achieve a more equitable sharing of the wealth that this country generates.please read the ragged trousered philanthropists

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Does nobody else on NSC love Conn Iggulden's Caesar and Ghengis Khan books? Shame

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here