Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Steele
Gross - Dunk - Igor - Pervis
Caicedo - Dahoud
March - Pedro - Mitoma
Ferguson​

Currently think that’s our strongest squad.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Right now with fitness and familiarity issues think De Zerbi would go:

Steele Veltman Pervis Van Hecke Dunk Caicedo Gross Mitoma Lallana Buonanotte Ferguson

But there are some tight calls re Webster, Gilmour, Dahoud, Enciso, Welbeck, Adringra and Joao Pedro.

March ahead of Buananotte surely?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Steele

Veltman
webster
Dunk
Pervis

March
Gross
Caicedo
Gilmour
Mitoma

Welbeck

cannot see any new players being given the initial opportunity over the original squad their time will come but for Luton the team that achieved our first European place should start

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm surprised so many are putting Igor in our 1st XI when a large number have never seen him play and he has never played for us.

I also think that Lallana doesn't get enough goals and assists, and there are unlikely to be too many games when he and Welbeck both start with their injury records. I would have hoped with Ferguson and Enciso we'd be beyond that point now.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As we seem to have a different 11 with each post, it just shows the depth of squad we are starting to get.
Forget the end of last season, where our bench was filled with U23 players with next to no PL starts between them, this season our bench will probably be the strongest its even been, with all subs being able to impact the game when they come on.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Players will be rotated, but there will be a first xi in rdz's head. When the big games come along you must know your best side. And I think RdZ has a group who he trusts to perform over others. He effectively admitted that having frozen Gilmour out for much of the season and was almost forced to play him due to injuries.

Don't get me wrong, it is unlikely the first xi will play the majority of games ( injuries and the need for rotation) but it definitely exists.
I don't think De Zerbi is that limited a coach. I think he is better than that. His "best" XI will be determined by form, fitness and the opposition.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Nailed on it will be mostly players who were here last season. Gross will play. Solly if fit. Lallana will, Welbeck almost certainly.
Steele
Veltman Webster/JPVH Dunk Pervis
Caicedo Dahoud
March Lallana Welbeck Mitoma.
After Luton it's anyone's guess.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Against weaker sides:

Steele/Bart

March
Veltman
Dunk
Estupiñan

Caicedo
Gross
Joao Pedro

Mitoma
Ferguson
Enciso

Against better sides:

Steele/Bart

Veltman
Dunk
Webster
Estupiñan

Caicedo
Gilmour
Gross

Joao Pedro
Welbeck
March

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Against weaker sides:

Steele/Bart

March
Veltman
Dunk
Estupiñan

Caicedo
Gross
Joao Pedro

Mitoma
Ferguson
Enciso

Against better sides:

Steele/Bart

Veltman
Dunk
Webster
Estupiñan

Caicedo
Gilmour
Gross

Joao Pedro
Welbeck
March
I really think after a few weeks Dahoud will have something to say about that. Be amazed if he doesn't become our first pick at 8.

Last edited:

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
First XI first game

Steele
Velts, Webster, Dunk, Estupinian
Caicedo, Gross
March, Lallana, Mitoma
Welbeck

Not saying that's what it should be, but that's the safe bet for game one at home.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Controversially, I don’t think Lallana will be a definite starter now. I think we have a lot of competition for his position now, so I don’t think he should be guaranteed to start to be honest, nobody should be.

If he's fit and it's an important game, Lallana will always start. According to De Zerbi's, he's our most important player.

This is a quote from De Zerbi.

“I spoke with Andrea Maldera and Marcattilio Marcattilli and we were speaking about the importance of all players. We have a stat, which says the most important player for the team and the result, it is Adam Lallana.

When Adam Lallana plays, we have more opportunities to win the game. I didn’t need these stats to understand the importance of Lallana. It was a general stat, the number of passes completed, not losing balls, all of the stats that are useful for understanding the performance of a player.”

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Tell that to City fans when they

Tell that to City fans when Guardiola wasn’t picking their best team and not winning the CL.
Pep didn't pick a certain player that for that game, on that occasion, and in retrospect that seemed odd, and is cited as the reason they lost*. But this is not the exceptional circumstance that proves a rule. City (and Brighton) don't have a "first eleven".

*Which means it could be argued that City are a one-man team.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
First XI first game

Steele
Caicedo, Gross
March, Lallana, Mitoma
Welbeck

Not saying that's what it should be, but that's the safe bet for game one at home.
I’m not convinced that Webster will be first choice at centre back. His distribution isn’t great, he loses the ball more than most and doesn’t look that comfortable with Zerbiball. Given time to fit into the system, I think the new guy will end up a regular with Dahoud playing with Cac and Gross dropping into right back. I love Lallana playing 10 but he won’t always be fit. If he can adapt his young brain to the job I see Enciso playing there.
I am currently worried that Dunk and March haven’t made the field in pre season - two of the best players we have.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Yes, I think he is a better defender than Webster. I don't know enough about Igor to know whether he will be a definite starter or not.
I think RdZ will always find a position for Gross, and at the moment right back is his most likely position.
He's a far better defender & footballer than Webster, I agree. I'd play him at RB though

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
First XI first game

Steele
Caicedo, Gross
March, Lallana, Mitoma
Welbeck

I think you’ve got that pretty spot on for Luton. These promoted sides can produce massive shocks in their first game of the season, we should not underestimate. I think RDZ will go with experience.

The only changes I can see would be perhaps getting Gilmour in the team alongside Caicedo (if he is still here) and putting Groß in at right back. It also could be that Veltman plays alongside Dunk instead if Webster (I think RDZ sees Webster as a squad player).

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
There's going to be two or three names that are on the team sheet every single time, unless fitness dictates they can't be.

Beyond that we're going to see so much rotation that naming a First XI will be almost impossible.

It'll be interesting at the end of the season to look at which players were preferred for which competitions etc.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Depends on the opposition (and analysis of how they play), the previous game, the next game, training stats and any feeling RdeZ has in his water when deciding the team…..we won’t have a ‘first XI’.
We won’t have - squad game/rotation - but clearly a few players who always get picked more than others …
Last year - Steele (in the end), Dunk, Gross, Mitoma, Caicedo, Estupinan, Mac Allister , Welbeck - although even then there was some resting in the run in.
This year ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here