[Football] First Tyler, now Shreeves

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Unbelievable, Geoff.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Let me guess, is he white, straight and middle aged? :)

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Jeff Stelling seems to have started an exodus.
I think the two situations (Stelling and Shreeves) are reportedly very different.

Shreeves seems to have been offered a significantly reduced deal to stay. Chose not to take it. Not sure he'll be courted to the same extent that Stelling reportedly has been. Maybe a stint with his old pals Keys and Gray on the horizon...

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yes, but given that for the last 30 years the main broadcasters have all been white, straight and heading towards middle age, it isn't a huge surprise, no? More importantly, he's also a staggeringly poor post-match interviewer.

"Congratulations on a 7-0 win against Manchester United. So tell me Jurgen, what will that do to the confidence of your team?"

"Well, Erik, bad day at the office today. You must be disappointed?"

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yes, but given that for the last 30 years the main broadcasters have all been white, straight and heading towards middle age, it isn't a huge surprise, no? More importantly, he's also a staggeringly poor post-match interviewer.

"Congratulations on a 7-0 win against Manchester United. So tell me Jurgen, what will that do to the confidence of your team?"

"Well, Erik, bad day at the office today. You must be disappointed?"
It’s not a surprise. What’s surprising, some might say odd, is that despite white males being a huge part of the demographic, maybe the largest, they’re almost never amongst the replacements these days. But then, even the armed forces have admitted discriminating against this former bedrock type. I guess we’ve got to redress years of discrimination against other groups and the way to do this is by discriminating against them. And because it’s them, it’s not really discrimination is it. How else do we change the genetic disposition of a millennium in a couple of decades otherwise? Can you imagine being white, male, middle aged, middle class, straight, English AND a Christian these days?! You’ve a better chance of being accepted into witness protection than a media job.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It’s not a surprise. What’s surprising, some might say odd, is that despite white males being a huge part of the demographic, maybe the largest, they’re almost never amongst the replacements these days. But then, even the armed forces have admitted discriminating against this former bedrock type. I guess we’ve got to redress years of discrimination against other groups and the way to do this is by discriminating against them. And because it’s them, it’s not really discrimination is it. How else do we change the genetic disposition of a millennium in a couple of decades otherwise? Can you imagine being white, male, middle aged, middle class, straight, English AND a Christian these days?! You’ve a better chance of being accepted into witness protection than a media job.
True to a degree, although Stelling is going to replaced by (allegedly) Adam Smith who's white, male, 39 years old, straight, English and I've no idea on his religious beliefs, plus Tyler is being replaced by Peter Drury who's white, male, middle aged, middle class, straight, English and again, no idea on his religion.

So the two biggest changes Sky are making HAVE actually been replaced with exactly that type. So it's probably not that difficult to imagine

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Herin lays the problem, not just in football, but western society as a whole. Do you end decades of discrimination by being discrinminatory, and then end up with people who are in posotions not because they are the right person for the job, but the right colour, the right sexuality, the right religion?

I dont pretend to know the answer, but i personally would hate to think I got a promotion/job because I was the gay candidate, rather than I was the best person interviewed despite being forced out of the Military for being gay

The solution is , I think, is not filling positions by discriminating against a group (of whatever ethnicity, gender, sexuality etc)-and positive discrimination is just a way of making discrimination against a group sound nice, its still abhorent to discriminate against someone based on genetic make up regardless of who is being discriminated against. Surely the answer is addressing the issues that make the discrimination commonplace in the first instance.

That of course is the problem-how do you do that, and even if you can the time scales involved mean any results take years, decades even.

Im not convinced discriminating against anyone group is the best way to actually solve anything, it just wallpapering over the cracks, and creates others. As I said, I dont know the answer, and I dont care if the football commentator/pundit/host is white, male, gay, straight, trans, jewish, female, non binary etc. All I want is a decent knowledgable commentary about the match, pundits who offer unbiased sensible opinion, and ask pertinant questions .

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I think you may have something there. Some boxes need ticking and surely a non binary appt beckons! :)

And let's not forget the curious fact that the vast majority of female Sky reporters tend to be quite pleasing on the eye. Their appalling no munters allowed policy is quite blatant.

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Please replace him with Andy Towsend, so he's no longer on the international PL coverage. Please please please.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
True to a degree, although Stelling is going to replaced by (allegedly) Adam Smith who's white, male, 39 years old, straight, English and I've no idea on his religious beliefs, plus Tyler is being replaced by Peter Drury who's white, male, middle aged, middle class, straight, English and again, no idea on his religion.

So the two biggest changes Sky are making HAVE actually been replaced with exactly that type. So it's probably not that difficult to imagine

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You've just pretty much described the new host of Soccer Saturday!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here