Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] First gig, Worst Gig and Can't be topped gig?

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
First Gig - Flogging Molly

Best Gig - Stone Sour in London got the VIP package and met Corey Taylor

Worst Gig - Support act Mode Step worst pile of rubbish ever, followed by Lostprohets which were alright but after seeing Mode step it wasn't as enjoyable.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
First - Third World at the Top Rank

Worst - Buzzcocks at the Top Rank. (Worst performance wise but the riot after was good fun)

Never to be forgotten - Bob Marley & The Wailers at the Brighton Centre

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
First: The Jam supported by the Piranhas, Brighton Centre 1980.

Worst: U2 Wembley Stadium 1987ish (Joshua Tree tour). Dreadful.

Best: Loads but either Cocteau Twins in 1984 at the Dome or The Undertones at the Top Rank also 1984 I think.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
First, Stiff Little Fingers, Guildford in early 1980.

Best. The Beat at the Top Rank in late 1982. Loved their stuff. Dave Wakeling and the late Ranking Roger had so much energy. They played a massive set. Just a brilliant night for so many reasons. Not least of which was I thought we'd missed out on tickets but when I went up the pub at half five, my mates went 'Guess where we're going tonight'. Brilliant.

Had a few hairy ones, as was common back in the day, but never had any serious bother. By far the worst was Tears for Fears at the Rank in 1983. Pair of lazy gits. Came on late, went through the motions and left after about half an hour.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
First - Apparently when I was about six years old I was in my aunt's house in Dublin and there was a party in the house with musicians from a recording studio where my cousin worked. I have been told that Phil Lynott, Brian Downey and Eric Bell from Thin Lizzy were there, along with Rory Gallagher, Gary Moore, Brush Shiels from Skid Row, Luke Kelly from the Dubliners, Sonny Condell (later of Scullion), Johnny Fean of Horslips, Christy Moore and Declan Synnott (later of Moving Hearts). By all accounts it was just a jam session - but what a line-up even if I wasn't conscience of the profile at the time - I just remember music being played and everyone having a good time. I got to know Johnny Fean quite well many years later and he remembered the party but didn't remember too much about what happened at it as he, like the rest of them, had imbibed substantial quantities of beverages.

Best - Rory Gallagher in Cork in the mid-1970s - the place was rocking

Worst - Thin Lizzy in 1980/81 - in what later became a furniture store in a small village in Co. Tipperary - the band members were as high as kites and went through the motions. First and only time I ever left a concert before the end.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
First: Nine Inch Nails, Skid Row and Guns n Roses at Wembley Stadium 1991

Worst: Lighthouse Family at a venue in Newcastle with an ex-girlfriend. Somehow managing to exceed even my worst expectations of blandness.

Best: hard to choose. Just for the synchronisation of mates and music we loved and the time it was in life probably Carter USM at Sussex Uni, I think 1993.

I was at that Guns n Roses gig, also thought Nine Inch Nails and Skid Row stole the show.
:thumbsup:

boik

First: Camel on the Mirage tour 1974.

Worst: Boomtown Rats when they first broke, but Richard Hell was...... Hellish.

Best: Banshees, Cure, Spizz at music machine. But Bloc Party at Concorde on Silent Alarm your we're right up there, and Infadels at the Scala was an amazing atmosphere. Only gig I've been to where literally everyone was dancing. Thought the balcony was going to collapse.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
First - The Mission, Bournemouth International Centre 1989
Worst - Primitives, Hothouse Bmth July 91. Lame, had sunburn, didn't play Crash - how stupid
Best - The Wonderstuff, Bescot Staduim June 91.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
first gig asswad, top rank , 84 best ...pink floyd ...mount smart Auckland 88.....worst ....numerous but glastonbury 84 was a ****ing nightmare.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
First Gig - Rolling Stones on Hastings Pier sometime in the 1960's
Worst Gig - Sham 69 at the Roxy - they were just awful, must've been their 1st or 2nd gig
Can't be topped - Bruce Springsteen at Hammersmith Odeon in 1975 I think - complete eye opener, amazing gig.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
First: Deep Purple, Big Apple 1971
Worst: Lynyrd Skynynrd: The Dome 1976 ish - They didn't bloody well turn up.
Best: Zappa at Knebworth 1978

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Robbie Williams came a very close second as best gig. Saw him at The Brighton Centre soon after splitting from Take That. Didn’t really fancy it originally but the the girlfriends back then did. The man is a beast of an entertainer, not the best singer or songwriter, but his stage presence is amazing. Right up there with the best.

In a similar vein I saw Tom Jones at Glastonbury 1992, we just went for a laugh, he was F ing brilliant! Perfect Sunday evening in the sun with cheap cider!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
First.
Jean- Jacques Burnel ( The Stranglers ) Euroman Cometh tour. The Dome 1979

Worst.
Simple Minds, Jenkinsons Brighton, approximately 1980

Can’t be topped.
Difficult to answer but maybe this stands out slightly.
Siouxsie and the Banshees ( with Robert Smith on guitar), support acts The Cure and Spizz .
Brighton Centre.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
First - Apparently when I was about six years old I was in my aunt's house in Dublin and there was a party in the house with musicians from a recording studio where my cousin worked. I have been told that Phil Lynott, Brian Downey and Eric Bell from Thin Lizzy were there, along with Rory Gallagher, Gary Moore, Brush Shiels from Skid Row, Luke Kelly from the Dubliners, Sonny Condell (later of Scullion), Johnny Fean of Horslips, Christy Moore and Declan Synnott (later of Moving Hearts). By all accounts it was just a jam session - but what a line-up even if I wasn't conscience of the profile at the time - I just remember music being played and everyone having a good time. I got to know Johnny Fean quite well many years later and he remembered the party but didn't remember too much about what happened at it as he, like the rest of them, had imbibed substantial quantities of beverages.

Best - Rory Gallagher in Cork in the mid-1970s - the place was rocking

Worst - Thin Lizzy in 1980/81 - in what later became a furniture store in a small village in Co. Tipperary - the band members were as high as kites and went through the motions. First and only time I ever left a concert before the end.

F*ck me!

That is amazing. What a story. There must be some photos somewhere in an attic. What a 'gig'.

Marmaduke

SE London Seagull
Apr 28, 2010
SE London
First:
The Stone Roses, Brighton Centre, 02/12/1995

Best:
Suede, 100 Club, 20/03/2010

Worst:
Black Grape, Brighton Centre, 04/04/1996

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
I'd love to see MMJ. They don't seem to come to the UK much. Even pre Covid.

That gig was supporting the ‘It still moves’ album

Jim James’s voice, especially on an acoustic section of the gig, sounded like it was made in heaven ( sorry for sounding pretentious but it was that good)

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
...and again here.

First.
As above. Aged 10, it was the perfect accompaniment for the Prince Charming vinyl album which I got for Christmas.

Worst.
1997. In a year that brought us the likes of Bitter Sweet Symphony and Song 2, I found myself watching Louise at the Brighton Centre.
For younger readers, that's Louise Redknapp. On stage. By herself and not part of a girl group. And headlining.
It lived up to its billing as being every bit as appalling as what you'd expect, but I've still got the Argus poster of her in an Albion shirt somewhere.

Best / Most Memorable.
U2's Zoo TV tour in 1993 at Wembley when I went to watch a concert, but somehow stayed for all 4 nights and ended up working backstage.
A minute or two after the band had left the stage, I moved on with a broom and started sweeping in front of 70,000 people.
With REMF 1 as my last competitive game 19 years ago, it's probably the closest I'll ever get to performing in front of a large Wembley crowd.

Yeah , but that Louise poster is still great though :blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here