Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First game in over 28 years

Hi Guys,

Being a life long Albion supporter and having spent most of my life here Melbourne, my wife and I are coming over the UK next week and I'll see my first live Albion game in over 28 years.

I am hoping for some n00b tips to point me in the right direction.

We will be driving from Hastings on game day. What is the best way to go, via the A259/A27? Or is the coastal route (via A259) worth doing as we're not pressed for time?

Is there a park and ride option from Brighton, or can you just drive and park at the Stadium?

What is a good place to go for a drink before/after the game?

What style of football do Tranmere play?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
Matt

:ascarf:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
28 years? Gosh, a whole 7 years before I was even alive!

Can't answer the driving question, however there are a couple of park and rides, but it's easy enough to park nearish the stadium (well, a few minute walk away anyway).

Not sure about what type of football they play, but must be some long balls there to big Bas Savage!

Hope you enjoy the game, and for your sake I hope the team pick up 3 points!

Hope this helps with the park and ride directions.

Brighton and Hove Albion | Tickets | Withdean | Way To Withdean

If driving from the Lewes direction on the A27, you'll get a view of the preliminary earthworks associated with the new stadium just after the Falmer intersection on the LHS (opposite Sussex Univ). If you decide to head towards Brighton along the coast road (A259) and turn right at Rottingdean up towards Ovingdean & Falmer, you'll probably get a better view of the site (LHS again) as you come over the top of the downs.

I see you're having trouble with undelivered "on-line" tickets. Suggest you give the ticket office a call (+44 1273 776992) and ask to speak with Paul McGowan (Ticket Office Manager). He's a top bloke but if the telephone's not convenient because of the time difference then drop him an email.

Brighton and Hove Albion | Club | Whos Who

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
28 years? ? ? We must have been in the old first division when you last saw them!

My goodness, you're going to notice some differences! First off, Peter Ward isn't there any more, and Alan Mullery isn't manager, although you never know, he may be back in the summer.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
As you are comoing in from the East use the A27, then use the Mithras House Park & ride in Lewes Road. Come off the A27 at Falmer onto the A270 into Brighton. You will see signs for the Football P & R.
After the game walk under the bridge turn right onto London Road (A23) and head for the double decker buses. You will have to walk by the big queue for the singe deckers which are for the Mill Road P & R, but for those going east Mithras House is a much better option and you wil get away from Brighton much faster. Alternatively if you want to go into the City centre you can leave your car at Mithras House whereas you cannot at Mill Road.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
28 years? ? ? We must have been in the old first division when you last saw them!

My goodness, you're going to notice some differences! First off, Peter Ward isn't there any more, and Alan Mullery isn't manager, although you never know, he may be back in the summer.
:clap2::lolol:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Coming from Hastings, the coast road is of course lovely but turn inland at Rottingdean and come over the Downs so that you can drive past Falmer. Coming from that direction you'll get a great view of the work so far and then turn towards Brighton and you'll be on the Lewes Road for the Park & Ride.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Coming from Hastings, the coast road is of course lovely but turn inland at Rottingdean and come over the Downs so that you can drive past Falmer. Coming from that direction you'll get a great view of the work so far and then turn towards Brighton and you'll be on the Lewes Road for the Park & Ride.

As was about to say the coast road will take you a lot longer so don't bother but he's right you know, that would be a BRILLAINT route for you to take! :ascarf:

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I love the way everyone has dodged the "What is a good place to go for a drink before/after the game?" question :drink::laugh:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As you are comoing in from the East use the A27, then use the Mithras House Park & ride in Lewes Road. Come off the A27 at Falmer onto the A270 into Brighton. You will see signs for the Football P & R.
After the game walk under the bridge turn right onto London Road (A23) and head for the double decker buses. You will have to walk by the big queue for the singe deckers which are for the Mill Road P & R, but for those going east Mithras House is a much better option and you wil get away from Brighton much faster. Alternatively if you want to go into the City centre you can leave your car at Mithras House whereas you cannot at Mill Road.

er, left!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Hi Matt

Good to hear you are finally getting over to see a game. It seems a lifetime ago since the MASS meet. Hope you enjoy the game.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
You really MUST do the Falmer stop off, take some time for a little walk around. P&R, as mentioned, looks best option but for good pubs then head to Brighton Station and take some decent ale at the Evening Star then head off on the no 27 at 2.30 from the station for the sceanic tour, arriving at Withers just in time for kick-off.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hi Guys,

Being a life long Albion supporter and having spent most of my life here Melbourne, my wife and I are coming over the UK next week and I'll see my first live Albion game in over 28 years.

I am hoping for some n00b tips to point me in the right direction.

We will be driving from Hastings on game day. What is the best way to go, via the A259/A27? Or is the coastal route (via A259) worth doing as we're not pressed for time?

Is there a park and ride option from Brighton, or can you just drive and park at the Stadium?

What is a good place to go for a drink before/after the game?

What style of football do Tranmere play?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
Matt

:ascarf:

In case you don't recieve the PM ok. I Just PM'd you regarding the withdean tour and your question to Insider. I read that question before I noticed your thread here. As you're coming from Hastings on the day it makes things even easier if all goes well. :thumbsup:

I'm still only 34, so to me it has been a life time.

The rollercoaster ride at the moment 3 points would be an early Christmas gift.

28 years? Gosh, a whole 7 years before I was even alive!

Can't answer the driving question, however there are a couple of park and rides, but it's easy enough to park nearish the stadium (well, a few minute walk away anyway).

Not sure about what type of football they play, but must be some long balls there to big Bas Savage!

Hope you enjoy the game, and for your sake I hope the team pick up 3 points!

Much appreicate the help, it will be great to get a view of the Falmer finally.

I'll follow up with the tickets so thanks for the info.

Hope this helps with the park and ride directions.

Brighton and Hove Albion | Tickets | Withdean | Way To Withdean

If driving from the Lewes direction on the A27, you'll get a view of the preliminary earthworks associated with the new stadium just after the Falmer intersection on the LHS (opposite Sussex Univ). If you decide to head towards Brighton along the coast road (A259) and turn right at Rottingdean up towards Ovingdean & Falmer, you'll probably get a better view of the site (LHS again) as you come over the top of the downs.

I see you're having trouble with undelivered "on-line" tickets. Suggest you give the ticket office a call (+44 1273 776992) and ask to speak with Paul McGowan (Ticket Office Manager). He's a top bloke but if the telephone's not convenient because of the time difference then drop him an email.

Brighton and Hove Albion | Club | Whos Who

Thanks mate, who know who will be managing us in the summer :p

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Tell you what mate, save yourself the pain of seeing how far we have fallen...rejoice in your memories of The Goldstone and go on the pier instead

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here