Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] First Female Manager?

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Radio 5 just now: Emma Hayes dismisses the story as utter bollocks, and speaks in favour of diversity in sport, and that an argument that moving from Chelsea women to AFC Wombledon is a step up is an insult. Good for her :thumbsup:

I saw her comments (written) yesterday and I am not sure how tongue in cheek her comments were. However, taking her comments at face value, whatever the merits of the women's game, in terms of finance, media profile, athleticism, skill levels, strength, public interest, participation (I could go on) the men's game is superior (currently - it could change in the future). Maybe I am out of step with others but I thought her comments were unrealistic and did not help the cause of any female managers wanting to move into the men's game at any level.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I genuinely think this would be fascinating to see. The men's game is extremely progressive in a lot of ways, but women in the men's game are still a huge rarity. The Karen Carney incident on it's own shows that there are a large group of knuckle-draggers out there. Her getting a job in the men's game is less of a problem to me than someone with literally no managerial experience (Phil Neville) walking into the top job in the women's game and be nothing other than the bangest of average for THREE years.

One has to prove they are capable by having years at the top of the game to overcome criticism of their potential appointment, the other had to... be Phil Neville.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Yep agreed. But the mad scramble to get her on due to this sudden PC movement has caused it in this case I feel. Exactly the same goes for ex players - Gareth Barry is about as wooden as they come and Carlton Cole was in the Clinton Morrison level of shitness.

God Clinton Morrison, I can't bear listening to him murdering the English language every time he is on.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
i was ****ed for about 5 minutes until she put her lovely warm hand down the front of my shorts and cupped my battered testicles for a good minute ......three life long friends in that team

Presumably, you, her and the Geordie lad?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
God Clinton Morrison, I can't bear listening to him murdering the English language every time he is on.

They have to have a chav speaking wannabe gangster slangs for clubs like CP2010FC’s ‘fans’ to relate to - that’s the only reason I can think of...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

They have to have a chav speaking wannabe gangster slangs for clubs like CP2010FC’s ‘fans’ to relate to - that’s the only reason I can think of...

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
[tweet]1356294995335127040[/tweet]

Hayes would be a fantastic choice for Wimbledon but unfortunately in a sport which is still riven with issues of gender (still one of the fewest number of women physios and sports scientists in the game compared to other countries... and even less on the coaching side... even Scotland is better) and race I think it will be uphill struggle for her yo get everyone she needs onside. But she's got my full support and she's got everything needed to be a success.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Wouldn't it be better if a woman took an Assistant Manager's position in the men's game first?

The Assistant can focus on the coaching and tactical bit, man-management etc that I'm sure women can do as well as men. However, dealing with transfers, agents, chairmen, owners, fans with high expectations, media, rumours, budgets etc is at a higher level in the men's game, and a year or two alongside the manager will better prepare a woman coming into that different environment.

Indeed, there are plenty of male players who have played at the top level who turn out to be rubbish managers - it is a hard job even for those who have been in that male playing environment their whole careers.

It is a massive ask for Emma Hayes to be able to come in and be a successful AFC Wimbledon manager, but even if she was successful it may trigger a spate of similar appointments that aren't as successful.

The learning curve is steep, and if the first few appointments are rushed in on a desire to tick diversity and inclusivity boxes it could all go wrong and set things back 10 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here