Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First FA Cup Final You Watched?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
1976 Southampton 1 V Man Utd O (Bobbie Stokes the winner)
Same as me... went up the road (Holmes Avenue) to watch it on a colour telly

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
1983 too! First one I truly understood what was going on on the pitch was 1987.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
1968 - West Brom1 Everton 0

That was mine as well. I was in primary school and we had our school fete on. The school brought a colour television in to show it, to ensure that people actually came to the fete. The second one I remember watching was chelsea v Leeds. The replay should have been X rated.

Oct 24, 2007
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
1973 Sunderland v Leeds.

Can still hear David Coleman's commentary in my head..

"Porterfield, one-nil!"

The cup final was so huge in the 70's, one of the only live games you saw on the television, preceeded by It's a Cup Final Knockout and Cup Final Question of Sport.

Always a fantastic day.

Missed this final. I was dragged to see Sooty and Sweep instead. Still not forgiven my parents.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
1969 Man City 1 Leicester 0, Peter Shilton played a blinder in goal for Leicester. Dad took me down the park afterwards so that i could leap about Shiltonesque like..

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
1971 arsenal v. liverpool

in colour too,most vivid memory, charlie george lying on his back after crashing in the winner

it used to be the biggest club game in the world back then,big shame an average champions league game is seen as far more important these days

checked it out on wiki and liverpool had no fewer than 9 english players in their team!

1971 FA Cup Final - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

100 000 attendance it says?!

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Missed this final. I was dragged to see Sooty and Sweep instead. Still not forgiven my parents.

My parents told me they were getting divorced on the morning of the 1975 Cup Final.

Totally ruined it the big game.

Mum never even packed her bags, they were like happened the next day!

I never forgave them for that!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The second one I remember watching was chelsea v Leeds. The replay should have been X rated.

An absolute feast of dirty football. Under today's laws there wouldn't have been enough players on the pitch to finish the game.

D

Deleted member 18477

1996 man utd v Liverpool (awful White suits)... Cantona going backwards vollying from edge of penalty box. What a player!

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
1971 arsenal v. liverpool

in colour too,most vivid memory, charlie george lying on his back after crashing in the winner

it used to be the biggest club game in the world back then,big shame an average champions league game is seen as far more important these days

checked it out on wiki and liverpool had no fewer than 9 english players in their team!

1971 FA Cup Final - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Same teams, only in 2001. Michael Owen brace from 1-0 down. Nearly bet my 1 pound pocket money on Liverpool to win with a neighbour. But I didn't... I still regret that decision and vowed to never gamble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here