Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First Ever Brighton Game

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
1969, vs Barrow in division 3. Attendance about 14,000. Kit Napier, John Napier (no relation), Stuart Henderson, Bert Murray, Eddie Spearitt, Brian Powney in goal, Brian (Tiger) Tawse, Howard Wilkinson (bandy legged winger), Alex Dawson, Dave Turner. That's just from memory. Probably got one wrong. South stand behind the goal. Standing only. It was probably sh1t, but to me it was total magic. Took my middle brother. I was in charge. I was 11, he was 8. Only a two mile walk from Portslade. You could do that sort of thing back then. I think I paid two shillings to get in. And I had to queue. Probably arrived about 1.30. The south stand bogs were unbelievably horrible, and never got any better over the next 25 years, although I think they were painted once.

Someone mentioned Halifax in 1970. I remember an evening game against them. All misty with pipe smoke and the whiff of Stuart's wintergreen rub. It was a draw. First time I ever saw us not win. Disappointed? Just a little . .

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
For the last 50 odd years I've been telling those who asked it was Lincoln City 5-1 in 1965. Having looked at the stats I now realise I saw some of the season before that with Roy Jennings as captain so God knows which was my first.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Jonny Boy

Feb 4, 2011
Port Vale at home, final game of the 93-94 season. We lost 3-1 giving them promotion! All I remember about the game is when I first entered the west stand to see a big crowd and port vale fans on the pitch at the end of the game!

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Not entirely sure, I think it was a trip with the school that my mum works at when I was about 6/7, think it was against blackburn, if it wasnt that match then it may have been against Leicester when i went with my neighbour who was a Sth but not sure what year

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
26 November 1977, Brighton 2 Blackburn 2.

It rained a lot I seem to remember. I was a wide eyed 9 year old stood on my homemade wooden box in the east stand.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If I remember correctly, we came from behind on that occasion?

Yes, that's right. Great game. I don't expect any of the JCLs on here will have even heard of that match though.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
vs Sheff Utd at the Withdean, where Utd had the benefit of the Ref being on their side (so blatant, that he actually congratulated one of their players after scoring a penalty). Police lined up along the sideline with batons out to hold back the lynch mob that was forming against the ref. (2-4 if I remember correctly). Not a great first and last football match for the [then, now ex-] wife.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here