Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] First Ashes Test - England v Australia - Cardiff

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Let's hope we can get a minimum 400 odd lead, bat till around tea tomorrow (famous last words)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It would nice if Australia's tail end could hang around for half an hour as long as they score next to no runs.

1) Fewer overs to face for our openers before lunch
2) Take the shine off this new ball. If their bowlers bowl like Anderson it is going to get difficult.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Australia 308 all out (84.5 overs)

That is a fantastic performance from the England bowlers this morning... 5 wickets for 44 runs :clap:

A first innings lead of 122 (and we can thank Brad Haddin for all of them and a few more!!) and a wearing pitch... game on :clap2:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's a potent attack. i'm liking the look of it a LOT. There's a real buzz and energy about our bowlers.
I'm looking ahead to Cook's approach and how he sets his stall out this time round against the allegedly more superior aussie bowlers.

Been really pleased with how Cook as approached this match. He's been positive, not just attacking fields, but even his defensive fields have had wicket taking unconventional positions. He didn't panic when they went after Moeen, and ultimately that turned their innings.

I've not seen our seam attack bowl this disciplined this full and straight consistently for a long time, barely a short ball. On a good batting pitch we've not let them settle, reflected in that a lot of them got starts but out in the 20's and 30's.

Got to be delighted!!

GONE!!!!! Massive lead.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Its going so well! Who would have thought we'd be here after being 43-3 on day one??

Lets get back in a put another 400 on to finsih them off.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
JM Anderson 18.5-6-43-3
SCJ Broad 17-4-60-2
MA Wood 20-5-66-2
MM Ali 15-1-71-2
BA Stokes 14-5-51-1

Bowling :clap2:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Magnificent stuff from England. Absolutely splendid bowling from every single bowler (maybe two bad overs before the new ball was taken) and some opportunistic fielding.

Very very impressive.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Been really pleased with how Cook as approached this match. He's been positive, not just attacking fields, but even his defensive fields have had wicket taking unconventional positions. He didn't panic when they went after Moeen, and ultimately that turned their innings.

I've not seen our seam attack bowl this disciplined this full and straight consistently for a long time, barely a short ball. On a good batting pitch we've not let them settle, reflected in that a lot of them got starts but out in the 20's and 30's.

Got to be delighted!!

GONE!!!!! Massive lead.

Yup. Agreed, I've given Cook plenty of stick in the past but he's had an excellent innings. Though when your bowlers bowl with that level of discipline, this captaincy lark becomes far easier.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
In related news, I was thinking today how complete our bowling attack would have been if we had managed to produce another Derek Underwood in this generation. I've been watching some footage of the great man. A question I did ask myself, was the South African tour the only reason this chap hasn't got a knighthood ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yup. Agreed, I've given Cook plenty of stick in the past but he's had an excellent innings. Though when your bowlers bowl with that level of discipline, this captaincy lark becomes far easier.
I don't think you can overstate the importance of your last sentence there - they've all bowled very very well. But Cook's best decision was to persist with Moeen Ali - at a time when chanceless batting was the order of the day, he gambled on Australia getting themselves out by trying to smash the slow bowler out of the attack so that our seamers were forced to bowl more than we'd have liked. And Australia obliged.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He is, but he's miles from the test team because his bowling is pony.

I can see how that would be awkward if you're a bowler, yes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here