Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] First Ashes Test Australia vs England Brisbane 23rd-27th November

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We have in Anderson and Broad two of the best fast bowlers in the world but unfortunately after them the rest that we have in Australia are very mediocre and as they say about goods not fit for purpose.

Mediocre is harsh....Woakes for example in the past has proven himself to be a useful cricketer.....the man we do miss though is Stokes and Moeen Ali hasn’t howled much to date

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
No reason why the batsmen can't knock up a decent total. They need to stay out there as long as possible to give Jimmy the best chance of recovery.

It is advantage Australia, but not by much and not irretrievable.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I think that we all know that Cook and Root will come good with the bat at some point but I am more concerned with our bowling. We couldnt get Smith out once so how do we expect to do it 10 times in a series.

We could win all five tests without getting him out once.

In theory.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No reason why the batsmen can't knock up a decent total. They need to stay out there as long as possible to give Jimmy the best chance of recovery.

It is advantage Australia, but not by much and not irretrievable.

I concur.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
For an Ashes test match in Australia there seems to be plenty of empty seats. I thought the chance of giving the Poms a damned good thrashing on home territory would have the Aussies drooling at the chance to cheer their team on!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This next hour is MASSIVE.

Ignore the doom-mongers on this thread suggesting this game is gone. That's absolute nonsense. The match is completely evenly poised. England are effectively 16/2, but the fact Aus bat fourth easily makes up for that.

Four results still possible.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Ignore the doom-mongers on this thread suggesting this game is gone. That's absolute nonsense. The match is completely evenly poised. England are effectively 16/2, but the fact Aus bat fourth easily makes up for that.

Spot on. As Vaughan said, anything around 180-200 will be a test for the 4th innings. If we can get to lunch without any catastrophic collapses we can set a target.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Biggest test of Root's career, and after Smith's big ton Joe needs to deliver now.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

This.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Spot on. Also consider how slow the scoring has been throughout the match so far and even a relatively modest target of 200-250 could lead to a draw with Australia possibly being unwilling to take the risks required to knock off the runs to win.

250 might sound modest, but as the commentators have noted, the RECORD run chase on the ground is only 236...

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It probably is to people who just can't 'get it'.

Next question....................
It's interesting that the vast majority of people I've met through my son playing cricket are really nice, intelligent and thoroughly sound.

My motto always used to be "never trust a man who doesn't like football". I think it works even better with cricket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here